Topic Options
#15847 - 05/09/05 11:05 AM Premature
Chelle Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I was doing a little recreational research about ichthyosis the other day, and encountered one site that said collodion babies, which most babies with lamellar are, have a tendency to be born premature. I know that I was born a month and a half early, so I was curious to see if this statement holds true for other forum members.

What's the verdict? How many of us were premature and how many were full term?

#15848 - 05/09/05 04:24 PM Re: Premature
dpatock Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
my daughter was 4 weeks early. collodian baby with lamellar. so count one more for true :-) When she was sent over to the NICU at UC Davis Med Center (we live in Sacramento, CA) we were told that they had only had 2 other cases in last 5 years of ichthyosis. They let us review those files...both of those babies were collodian babies as well...both were premature (if i remember correctly..one was 6 weeks early, one was 4 weeks early)

--Darcie

#15849 - 05/13/05 11:51 PM Re: Premature
Angel24755 Offline

Loc: PA
Quote:
Originally posted by Chelle:
I was doing a little recreational research about ichthyosis the other day, and encountered one site that said collodion babies, which most babies with lamellar are, have a tendency to be born premature. I know that I was born a month and a half early, so I was curious to see if this statement holds true for other forum members.

What's the verdict? How many of us were premature and how many were full term?

Hi...
I live in Pittsburgh, PA and just joined this board. Both my 3 year old son and my 1 year old daughter were born with collodion membranes. They were both just a day shy of 38 weeks. With my son, my water broke and I actually went into labor but with my daughter, her placenta was not working right and she was dropping in size (another problem we had with her brother who is 4 but does not have Ichthyosis). She was pulled at a day shy of 38 weeks due to low fluid and a decline in her enviornment inside. I suppose if she would have been fine otherwise, she would have been born later so I suppose that not all babies with the membrane are born premature because neither of mine were.

#15850 - 05/14/05 01:59 AM Re: Premature
immystique Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO, USA
I was a colloidan baby & my mother said I was born right on the due date! It just took the doctors in my small-town hospital a day or two to realize what I had.

#15851 - 06/05/05 02:25 PM Re: Premature
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I was two months early.

#15852 - 06/05/05 04:10 PM Re: Premature
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
MIL claims that Brian was premature, but he was only 3 weeks early, so not a true preemie. Nathan was 5 weeks early. Neither had collodion membranes. They have ichthyosis-en-confetti, an EHK variant.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#15853 - 07/08/05 11:18 PM Re: Premature
mommy2will&nik Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
My son Nikolas has LI and was born 4 weeks early. I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not but I also have ready that many collodian babies are born early.

#15854 - 07/13/05 09:18 PM Re: Premature
swimmphillips Offline

Loc: Provo, Utah
My daughter was born with LI and was 7 weeks early. My mother-in-law has LI also, and was born early as well. I think there is something to this! [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#15855 - 12/21/05 12:45 AM Re: Premature
twinpapa Offline

Loc: Cheshire,CT,USA
Our twin boys (one with LI, one not) were born at 36 weeks. I was born 3 months early with no ichthyosis and no apparent brain damage (though the wife may disagree with the that).

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information