Topic Options
#15773 - 07/20/04 11:37 AM LI Sweat???
Bare Carmen Offline

Loc: Australia, Brisbane
Hi! I was wondering does anyone with LI sweat??? Can they sweat because my little one don't and I read on some post that they do?

#15774 - 07/21/04 12:56 PM Re: LI Sweat???
Sofie Offline

Loc: Switzerland / USA
Dear Carmen

I have LI and I can barely sweat. Sweating in my case only works on my nose, my palms and the soles of my feet. To my understanding many of us can not sweat at all or only in certain areas. I do not know what influence the type of Ichthyosis has on the ability. As a child the inability to sweat was a big problem because teachers and other grown ups had a hard time telling when I was about to overheat (or they simply did not believe that I can not sweat), which naturally happens if the cooling system of your body does not work.

All the best,
Sofie

#15775 - 07/22/04 11:04 AM Re: LI Sweat???
Ant_Hayward Offline

Loc: UK
Hi im Anthony,
21 with lam ich, and as far as im aware i dont sweat. I work out quite hard in the gym and play soccer 5 nights a week and i quite often get comments "come on work harder your not sweating yet" my reply "i would if i could."
They just laugh and walk off - i hardly ever get to explain that i dont sweat - so i just look lazy or really fit. lol.

My belly button sweat a little but thats it.

Question for all other people
I have just joined this new gym near my home
they have fitness area, as you would expect, but also swimming pool, sauna nad steam room.

Because the steam room has moist air circulating do you think it owuld help my skin? As opposed to sauna which is a dry heat and no good- ive tried many times.

Cheers Ant

#15776 - 07/25/04 07:08 PM Re: LI Sweat???
Nadine Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA
I also have LI and don't sweat. Sometimes it feels like my lotion is kinda melting off of my face...but only a little bit. My hands sweat when i get nervous...but again..only a little bit. What usually happens is i get really hot....i turn bright red...and i get a headache or ill come close to passing out.

Nadine.

#15777 - 07/26/04 02:36 AM Re: LI Sweat???
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I have to be extremely overheated before I sweat at all, and even then I don't break a heavy enough sweat to help me cool off. All it does is make the surface of my skin a little bit damp and salty which then burns a lot. I usually only sweat at my thighs and my upper back.

I didn't start to sweat at all until my very late 20's and I have lamellar ichthyosis. It is very normal for folks with LI to not sweat at all.

You might wish to look into cooling vests so that your child can play outdoors even when it's hot and not overheat so easily.

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information