Topic Options
#15705 - 10/15/03 04:54 PM Calmurid
JayneB Offline

Loc: Surrey, UK
Hi - I am new to this chat forum but have read through a lot of the postings on here. Doctor's always seem to be confused by my skin or just not very helpful and even dismissive (as one doctor said to me once 'well I can't give you a new skin!'). i have very dry flaky skin but also have very tough and wrinkly hands & feet. The skin on my face is also very shiny.
I have been using Calmurid Cream (10% urea, 5% lactic acid) which really helps and thins out my skin to stop it from flaking and you can really tell the difference (but does absolutely nothing for my hands or feet). However, I have been using it for 10years now and am worried it is having some toxic effect on my skin?!? I have developed spots all over my back, shoulders, upper arms and a few on my face every now and again. It started a couple of years ago when I would get a few spots but then they would go away but now they seem to be there permanently - they get better in the sun but I don't get much of that! The doctor just finds it unusual that I can have such dry skin and still have spots which leads me to believe it may have something to do with the cream. Although I don't really want to give the cream up as it is the best I've tried I also can't help thinking maybe I'm a bit out of date and there are better things now or it is doing my skin more bad than good now??
Does anybody know anything about this subject or anyone in the UK I can get help from.....?
Thanks in anticipation

#15706 - 10/15/03 09:45 PM Re: Calmurid
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Hello Jayne,

I don't have info for you on creams available in the UK. There are some folks in the UK with Ichthyosis that do post on these boards once in a while.

I found this web site a while ago. It's a UK ichthyosis support group: http://www.ichthyosis.org.uk
I don't know how active these folks are, but they, in addition to the folks at FIRST www.scalyskin.org might be able to help you find local resources.

In the meantime, welcome, continue to ask questions, and I bet as it draws closer to the weekend, folks will respond a bit more with suggestions. Sometimes it takes a few days as folks may not log on and read the boards until later in the week.

#15707 - 10/03/07 11:56 PM Re: Calmurid
kam Offline

Loc: B'ham,UK
jayne,I've joined this forum (some years after you!!) but noticed you are one of a few also from the Uk who uses Calmurid cream...I dont suffer with the spots u have described and I hope u have found a cause / solution to the problem.I find Calmurid to be one of the best creams for my body apart from as u say hands and feet(mainly hands)..wondering if u have switched to using something else...Hi - I am new to this chat forum but have read through a lot of the postings on here. Doctor's always seem to be confused by my skin or just not very helpful and even dismissive (as one doctor said to me once 'well I can't give you a new skin!'). i have very dry flaky skin but also have very tough and wrinkly hands & feet. The skin on my face is also very shiny.
I have been using Calmurid Cream (10% urea, 5% lactic acid) which really helps and thins out my skin to stop it from flaking and you can really tell the difference (but does absolutely nothing for my hands or feet). However, I have been using it for 10years now and am worried it is having some toxic effect on my skin?!? I have developed spots all over my back, shoulders, upper arms and a few on my face every now and again. It started a couple of years ago when I would get a few spots but then they would go away but now they seem to be there permanently - they get better in the sun but I don't get much of that! The doctor just finds it unusual that I can have such dry skin and still have spots which leads me to believe it may have something to do with the cream. Although I don't really want to give the cream up as it is the best I've tried I also can't help thinking maybe I'm a bit out of date and there are better things now or it is doing my skin more bad than good now??
Does anybody know anything about this subject or anyone in the UK I can get help from.....?
Thanks in anticipation[/B][/QUOTE]

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information