Topic Options
#15694 - 09/18/03 04:52 AM Feet
Ant_Hayward Offline

Loc: UK
i was wondering to get some tips about feet.
i have lam. ich. 21v years old and i have the most dry and painful feet you could imagine. i am a very active person and hate not being able to walk.
i have very thick scales on my feet and a times my feet split leaving very deep cuts.
very painfull. do any of you guys have this problem? if so what do you recommend?

------------------
thank all
anthony

#15695 - 09/18/03 11:23 AM Re: Feet
Ep2952 Offline

Loc: CANADA
Hi Anthony- This is going to sound funny, but I use "Bag Balm" when my feet get like that. Bag balm is what farmers use on the cow's udders when they get cracked and sore.You can get it where farming supplies are sold. When you put it on, maybe you might want to put on a pair of old socks.It's a bit messy, but it works very well. Hope this helps, Elizabeth.

#15696 - 09/18/03 12:09 PM Re: Feet
Beth Engerman Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN USA
Anthony, I totally feel your pain. I have the same problem especially in the winter time. To help my feet as well as my hands I too use the udder ointment that Elizabeth was talking about. Also, I put vaseline on my feet and wrap my feet in plastice (could me a plastic bag or plastic kitchen wrap) and then put on socks over top and sleep this way. In the morning your feet (and hands as well) will be very moist. This can help to peel away the layers of skin build up and help to keep your feet moisturized for the whole day. It helps be out a lot I hope this helps you too.

#15697 - 09/18/03 02:42 PM Re: Feet
Ellen Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH USA
Hi Anthony!

I have CIE and when my feet get bad, I use Aquaphor and put socks on. I have also used the Bag Balm, it works well, too. If there is a time when there are no cracks on your feet, try soaking them in warm salt water for about a half an hour. I started salt baths a while back and alot of the excess scale/skin rubbed off in the tub with a washcloth (even on my feet). I don't know why salt works, it just does. I soak twice a week and the improvement is amazing. Good Luck!

Ellen

#15698 - 09/18/03 05:57 PM Re: Feet
ShaunaJ Offline

Loc: Ogden,Utah
I use Tea Tree Oil Foot Repair Balm on my 5 year old. She has Lamellar. I goop her feet up with the foot Balm then put some moisturizing socks on that work with her body heat to keep the moisture in. I use Surgon's Skin Secret Stick on her feet when in school. I just apply it to her feet and put the socks on. When not in school I use the Tea Tree Foot Balm with a different pair of Moisture socks for day. Between these two treatments her feet look and feel great! She still gets splits but not as many and the seem to heal faster then they used to also. Hope that this might help also.

Shauna & Ryley
Johnson

[This message has been edited by ShaunaJ (edited September 18, 2003).]
"Choose a job that you LOVE and
you'll never WORK a day in your life!"

#15699 - 09/19/03 06:18 AM Re: Feet
Ant_Hayward Offline

Loc: UK
just a quick note to thank you all for your suggestions i will give them a go. i am so glad to finally hear from people who know what i go through instead of doctors reading from books.

------------------
thank all
anthony

#15700 - 09/19/03 11:30 AM Re: Feet
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Hi Anthony,

Also make sure you wear shoes with excellent support! I have high arches, and if I don't wear shoes that support the arches, my feet will crack, too. I also can't wear sandals or anything else that doesn't practically completely encase my foot or else my feet crack, too. I know some people with Lamellar have no problem wearing sandals or going barefoot but I can't. You might want to consider looking at your shoes to see if you can improve those, too. If new shoes are a bit beyond your budget, even just wearing cheap sneakers that you can get for under $20 from someplace like Payless Shoes (if you're in the US) or Wal-Mart would be better than flat shoes or sandals.

Also, when you wear socks, make sure they're mostly if not all cotton. Poly/cotton are not good for your skin. All the ointments people have mentioned are things I've tried in the past, and they are all great. My personal favorite is Bag Balm.

Also, consider getting a big pot or bucket or tub or whatever, filling it with warm water and perhaps a capful of some type of oil like canola oil, peanut oil, almond oil, etc and soaking your feet for a good 10 minutes or more before putting on the ointment and socks.

Exfoliate your feet as much as you can. When I have thick scales on my feet, they often cause the cracks in my feet, and once in a while, the edges of those big scales will even slice my feet. So that's when I soak my feet and keep a pair of nail scissors next to me so that as the scales loosen, I can gently clip them off with the scissors. Nail scissors are the curved kind and I like those because I can get close to the non-scaly skin and not worry about cutting or pinching it. If you soak your feet 2-3 times a week, I bet within a month or more you'll see a big improvement.

#15701 - 01/12/04 11:38 PM Re: Feet
Yara Offline

Loc: Acworth,GA
HI, MY NAME IS YARA. I'M A MOM OF A 2YEAR OLD WITH CIE. SHE'S BEEN DOING GREAT, THE DOCTORS SAY THAT SHE LOOKS NORMAL FOR THEM. BUT SHE HAS SOME CUTS ONES IN A WHILE ON HER FEET, I JUST USE AQUAPHOR.
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THIS IS SOMETHING THAT IS GOING TO BE GETTING WORSE?
DID ALL OF YOU HAD A MILD PROBLEM WHEN YOU WERE LITTLE AND THEN YOU HAVE MORE PROBLEMS?

I APPRECIATE ANY HELP
YARA

#15702 - 03/11/04 02:52 PM Re: Feet
CHLUKE2003 Offline

Loc: ANDERSON,SC,USA
my feet used to kill me. i walk a lot at work. i finally started using lac-hydrin or dermal therapy on my feet every morning, with a light coat of vaseline. it has worked very well for me. my feet are no longer sore or cracked. they are still scaly, but the scales are much softer and do not cut into me like they sometimes used to.

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information