Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#15688 - 02/15/07 04:00 PM Re: CIE infant - best scalp treatment?
libby Offline

Loc: USA
I need help for my daughter who is 11 1/2. Her scalp is beyond bad right now. She has very long hair, and I really don't know what to do for her. T-sal (sp?)and Feeling Flaky by Burts Bee's aren't really doing anything for her at the moment.

There is a rumor going around in Claire's school that she has lice. She, of course, does not have it, but because of the flaking, kids think that she does. I even got a call from a parent saying that her daughter noticed something crawling around on my daughters head. Claire is completely mortified and quite hurt actually that this girl didn't come directly to her and discuss it right then and there.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Libby

#15689 - 02/15/07 07:15 PM Re: CIE infant - best scalp treatment?
sideshowbob Offline

Loc: Midwest, USA
I would ABSOLUTELY tell your daughter's teacher and the principal about this rumor, and have it squashed immediately. Kids can be so nasty, and your daughter has enough on her plate without that.

As for the scalp, we use Sebulex dandruff shampoo for her really bad scalp days. It is a strong salicylic acid and sulfur shampoo, but it STINKS. I would use it on Friday night when she doesn't have to go anywhere for a couple of days. Seriously, it smells that bad. We put it on our daughter's head and let it sit for at least five minutes -- for really bad scaling, you might need to let it soak longer. It is so strong it burned my daughter's neck, so I always put a layer of Aquaphor on the back and sides of her neck before she gets in the bath. Follow the shampoo with Curel lotion in the hair and comb with a fine tooth/lice comb to remove scales.

I've also heard of African-American women pouring olive oil in their hair, wrapping their heads in a turban, and sleeping in it overnight. You then wash out the oil for the daytime so your hair isn't greasy. Don't know if that one works, but if you try it let me know!

#15690 - 02/15/07 10:47 PM Re: CIE infant - best scalp treatment?
libby Offline

Hi Sideshow,

I was just @ CVS and they don't have Sebulex. Where else might I find it?

I probably should have gone to the higher ups, but that would probably just put more attention on Claire, which she does not need or want.

Thanks,

Libby

#15691 - 02/16/07 01:54 AM Re: CIE infant - best scalp treatment?
sideshowbob Offline

Loc: Midwest, USA
Riteaid has it: http://www.riteaid.com/sitesearch/index.jsf

I actually had it ordered for me at Walgreens the first time I used it.

You know what? Riteaid is the only place I can find that carries the Aquaphor baby wash, too. Seems they are the most icthyosis friendly store in my town! Weird.

I hope things get better for y'all; that is such a crappy thing to have happen to her.

#15692 - 02/16/07 04:18 PM Re: CIE infant - best scalp treatment?
libby Offline

The next time I am out and about I will check out other drug stores.

Thanks,
Lib

#15693 - 02/17/07 08:31 PM Re: CIE infant - best scalp treatment?
aylasmom Offline

Loc: Waterford ,MI
My daughter is 9 months old with CIE (we think...) We have really liked the olive oil- I put it on and leave it a while, and the scales seem very easy to remove after- Preventing them is another story- Haven't really found anything that works that great- Dawnn

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information