Topic Options
#15613 - 07/11/02 04:38 PM Auto Immune disease and CIE
Al Clarke Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Fl, USA
I wonder if there are others that have problems with their cornea due to an auto immune reaction. I will have surgery on my eye to fix a "cornea melt" problem due to this problem. I noticed about a month ago that I became very light sensitive. I was told by my optalmologist it was due to this problem. Any help would be welcome. Al

#15614 - 07/20/02 08:22 PM Re: Auto Immune disease and CIE
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Hi Al,

I asked one of the dermatologists at the conference if there was any connection between autoimmune disorders and ichthyosis and he said "no." Sorry I don't have more help or info to give, but at least now there's an answer for you.

#15615 - 07/25/02 04:29 AM Re: Auto Immune disease and CIE
sofia Offline

Loc: Little Neck, New York , Queens
Al , I have not heard of an autoimmune disease and cie being related however i can tell you i have suffered with coreneal abrasion due to this condition. My skin is so dry and tight around the eye that it does not close right at night. Now I use different creams and vaseline to shut my eye completely.

#15616 - 07/25/02 03:41 PM Re: Auto Immune disease and CIE
Al Clarke Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Fl, USA
Thanks Chandra and Sofia for your information. I have a clearer understanding of the problem after my surgery. I had an abnormal growth of a blood vessel in the sclera (white part of the eye) that was feeding blood into the sclerocorneal juction of the cornea. The cornea was reacting to the blood by trying to destroy the cornea. One day after surgery my light sensitiviey problem was eliminated. If anyone wanting more details on the surgery, just ask. I am glad I don't have a generalized auto-immune disease! Al

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information