Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15567 - 05/03/01 05:43 PM Oatmeal Baths...
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I was chatting over the phone with someone yesterday about oatmeal baths. I've never had one before. Could someone describe

1. What it does for you

2. How you make an oatmeal bath (something off the shelf, just dump in some good ol' Quaker Oats? If so, how much?)

3. What length of time you spend in the tub for it to work properly?

4. Is water temperature a factor? Do hot/cold work just fine?

5. Any special cleanup considerations for the tub, especially the drain?

I just have this hilarious image in my head of me sitting in a giant bowl of oatmeal, and really have no idea as to how to do this one. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#15568 - 05/04/01 01:09 PM Re: Oatmeal Baths...
mary bellucci Offline

Loc: Edinboro, Pa. USA
Hi Chandra,
My son takes what I consider oatmeal baths, but I'm not sure if it is what you are talking about. It is simply using aveeno oatmeal bath that comes in packets and you mix it in your bath water. We also mix in a little bath oil and a little liquid anti-bacterial soap.(When you add all this stuff you need to give it a good vigerous mix up, or sometimes the oatmeal powder can clump). He uses a normal warm bath water temp. and he soaks for a good 20 min. He then uses his loofah and works at removing the loose skin. When he is all done he usually turns the shower on for a real quick rinse off. After you get out you could let your shower run a bit cause this does stick to the sides of your tub a little if not. It is a nice soothing soak though- give it a try.

#15569 - 05/04/01 05:10 PM Re: Oatmeal Baths...
Chandra Offline

Thanks! I'll try it this weekend.

#15570 - 05/17/01 07:05 PM Re: Oatmeal Baths...
Chandra Offline

I bought some Aveeno oatmeal bath and now I'm hooked! Thanks [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

It's just a fine powder that you pour in under the faucet and swish the water around real good so it doesn't clump. Of course my smartypants husband says I should use it in the morning so I can bathe and eat breakfast too! I splashed him with water for that one...

Thanks for the tips!

#15571 - 05/17/01 07:24 PM Re: Oatmeal Baths...
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
I haven't used Aveeno in ages, but I remember I really like it. (What is it with certain things we can do to make our skin better, but somehow we forget or don't bother to do them? I tell Chris that I think it's part of this drive to be normal, and I don't want to make time to do it, because anyone else wouldn't have to spend time doing it...)

Anyway, you're making me want an Aveeno bath again! I think I'm going to go get some this week.

[This message has been edited by Laura Phillips (edited May 17, 2001).]

#15572 - 05/17/01 09:26 PM Re: Oatmeal Baths...
Dee Offline

Loc: Ohio
I have heard that all Aveeno is is oatmeal that has been blended up into very fine pieces and you can do it in a blender. I have tried it with my son but it does not clean out of the tub after the bath like the Aveeno does. A cheaper alternative if anyone wants to try it.

#15573 - 05/18/01 04:05 AM Re: Oatmeal Baths...
andercru Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Hi everyone, both my girls (Natashia and Britaney) use a lot of the Aveeno products and I have found them to work the best for them. They now have a bath gel that works good for them instead of soap and is less messy than a bar of the aveeno soap. They also love the Aveeno Oatmeal baths exspecially when they are dry and itchy. (which seams to be all the time) they would use it every night if they could. Chandra I am glad to hear you like it and is it working well for you so far?

------------------
Robin Anderson

#15574 - 06/05/01 05:01 PM Re: Oatmeal Baths...
Chandra Offline

Yep, I buy a box of Aveeno every other week now. Interestingly enough, there are two versions, the second version is marketed for people who've got poison oak, chicken pox etc. The only difference between it and the other version is that it has twice the oatmeal in it and costs the same price. I know all of us probably look to pinch our pennies as much as we can since we have to buy so much extra stuff for our skin so I thought it worth passing on.

Also, has anyone ever tried making a paste out of it and coating any trouble spots on your body with it? I was thinking I'd try that soon since bathing in it feels so good. I have a few spots that are very red and irritated so I was thinking it might help. I'll keep you posted if it does.

#15575 - 06/06/01 03:59 AM Re: Oatmeal Baths...
kristi3360 Offline

Just thought I'd throw in that we have used Aveeno Bath and Shower. It is in a bottle that is cream and green. It stands up kinda upside down. The dispenser is on the bottom. Seemed to be a big help for Hayden too. Just leaves a mess in the tub because it is so oily. Hope it helps! Kristi

#15576 - 06/11/01 06:46 PM Re: Oatmeal Baths...
Chandra Offline

Thanks Kristi! I didn't know about Aveeno Bath & Shower so now I'll have to go try that. Which brings me to a point....

I want to encourage everyone to never assume that everybody else must know what you know. I'm in my very late twenties, and I learn new things from other folks on this board every week! Never assume what you're doing is a "no-brainer" and decide not to mention it. There are so many things we can all learn from one another that I hope everyone continues to share their experiences as time goes on. I really enjoy seeing what folks have learned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information