Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#15526 - 03/19/01 09:28 PM Re: eye lids not closing
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
Sofia,

I know what you mean about Muro tears. My horse has a number of eye problems (uveitis and secondary glaucoma) and we use hypertonic saline ointment in his eye when he's having a uveitis flare up. I feel so badly, as I know it burns.

Maybe give a night time ointment a try---I don't think it could do anything to hurt (though maybe ask your opthalmologist first). I would think if you needed the Muro drops, put those in first...then put the ointment in before bed. For me personally, putting drops in and then coating the outside of my eye with Aquaphor would not do the same thing.

Also, maybe talk to your doctor again. You mentioned that the Muro tears moisten your eye for a little while...which makes me think that your eyes are dry, and you want moisture? (makes sense, the whole 'not closing completely when you sleep and getting dried out issue'). Again, what I know about hypertonic saline is only from treating my horse...but my understanding of hypertonic saline is that is draws moisture out of the eye, reducing inflammation (I think in the packaging, it talks about treating 'corneal edema'). I don't think your doctor has you using hypertonic saline as a moisturizer, but I could be totally wrong on this. You just might want to discuss it again with your doctor---why she has you using hypertonic saline and whether there's another product that you might also use if what you're really after is relief from dryness.

Hope that helps,
Laura

#15527 - 03/22/01 04:23 AM Re: eye lids not closing
Nikkster Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
Sofia,

What is a stromal puncture? Is it some kind of surgery? What do they do? I too suffer from corneal abrasions because my eyes do not close all the way when I sleep. During the day, I use Refresh plus Tears. This is especially helpful during windy days, smoky rooms, or air conditioned environments.

At night, I use the same thing that Laura uses(Celuvisc Tears plus), but recently I started using a night time drop called GenTeal Lubricant Eye Gel. My ophthalmologist told me to try it out. You can get it at most drug stores, but I was able to find it at Walgreen's. It's very soothing and lasts most of the night. I think it works a lot better than Lacrilube, which comes out kinda thick and clumpy. GenTeal has worked pretty good for me for now. I am supposed to go back to the doctor every 6 months to make sure that nothing changes with my eyes.

Hope that helps.

Nikkster

#15528 - 03/25/01 12:11 AM Re: eye lids not closing
sofia Offline

Loc: Little Neck, New York , Queens
Dearest Laura and Nikkster,

I have been using the Aquaphor to close the eye. Lately my eyes are drier and worsen at night. The abrasions are horrible because they are so painful. However, now I am using Muro ointment which seems to lesson the stinging and the irritation of the Muro tears. Nikkster, a stromal puncture is basically little holes being punctured in the white part of the eye. It helps keep the eye intact so that a corneal abrasion will not happen. Normally, if I feel the eyes very dry and painful it would inidicate an abrasion. Now if this happens the eye stays better in tact and makes me aware that more moisture is needed. It has helped. Discuss it with your doctor it you may need this. I just am trying anything to prevent this. The last abrasion which was in October was so bad, I was out of work for two days. It was extremely painful and horrible. I wish there was something else that could be done.

[This message has been edited by sofia (edited March 24, 2001).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information