Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15501 - 10/31/00 04:13 AM Anyone else sensitive to light?
Nikkster Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
Hello,

Anyone else out there haveta to wear sunglasses [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/cool.gif[/img] whenever they are outside, even if its partly cloudy? I never had this problem as a kid, but the older I get, it seems that I become more sensitive to the light. Even car headlights at night seem to bother me. Just wondering.....

[This message has been edited by Nikkster (edited October 30, 2000).]

#15502 - 10/31/00 06:54 PM Re: Anyone else sensitive to light?
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
I have EHK, but I thought I would respond anyhow [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
I also need sunglasses and feel like I am squinting even with them on, and I feel like the light really does bother me. I have really bad eyes anyway, and have been wearing bi-focals since I was 16, so I don't know if that's part of it or not.
My optometrist did say I had some light sensitivity, but he didn't seem to think it was odd or any big deal, and I didn't ask a lot of questions.
Dunno if the two are related, but I would be curious to hear if anyone else is this way too.

#15503 - 10/31/00 08:40 PM Re: Anyone else sensitive to light?
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
Me too!

Have spoken with several optometrists and opthalmologists about this, and all thought it was nothing to worry about. I personally have chalked it up to the ectropion I get because of the ichthyosis.

I only have trouble at night when I'm tired. But natural sunlight (whether it's overcast and a lot of glare or sunny) definitely bothers me more than anyone else I know.

#15504 - 11/02/00 02:23 AM Re: Anyone else sensitive to light?
James Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas USA
Hello,
I have to wear sunglasses just about always not only to protect from the sun glare but the wind and foreign particales. I have lamellar ichy and have just had surgery to correct (ectropion).Do you eye lashes and does you eyes close completely. These are also problems i face. Has any of you had eye lid surgery?
thanks
james

Anyone else out there haveta to wear sunglasses [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/cool.gif[/img] whenever they are outside, even if its partly cloudy? I never had this problem as a kid, but the older I get, it seems that I become more sensitive to the light. Even car headlights at night seem to bother me. Just wondering.....

[This message has been edited by Nikkster (edited October 30, 2000).]
[/QUOTE]

#15505 - 11/14/00 03:40 AM Re: Anyone else sensitive to light?
Nikkster Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
No, my eyes do not close all of the way. I do find that I have dry eyes all of the time. I have not had to have surgery. What is surgery supposed to do for your eyes? Does it help them to close?

#15506 - 11/20/00 07:58 PM Re: Anyone else sensitive to light?
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Yes, I have to wear sunglasses and headlights at night do bother me too. I don't know if this is typical for everyone with icthyosis that affects their eyelids, but I have been told by several optometrists that my eyes don't focus as quickly as a normal eye should, and this is probably a result of my exposed eyelids. I've also been told that my astigamtism changes as my skin dries around my eyelids, therefore correcting it completely has never been possible.

#15507 - 12/02/00 02:44 PM Re: Anyone else sensitive to light?
deb Offline

Loc: london, ky,usa
Hello, I too have problems with sunlight and bright lights. I wear my sunglasses at all times outside and sometimes even when I am driving at night(they are prescription sunglasses) My vision continues to get worse and my opthalmologist contributes this to the dryness in my eyes. He is wanting to do surgery to put plugs into my tear ducts. He says this will keep the tears from draining out and will improve moisture. I am hesitant to do this. Has anyone had this procedure and has it helped? Thanks!

#15508 - 12/02/00 10:54 PM Re: Anyone else sensitive to light?
Francisco Viedma Offline

Hi Deb. I am 22 years old and live in St. Louis, MO. I am trying to find out as much as I can about eyelid surgery to have it done this summer. As far as I know, it is not too risky, but we might need to have it done more than once in our life. Doctors say that does not matter what your age is, the skin tends to go back to its original position causing the eyes to get dry again. I am kind of confused since some people say that once you have it done you are fine for life... as far as the tearing goes...
Let me know anything else you find out!
If anybody reads this and thinks I am mistaken, by all means, let me know! I am kind of confused.

#15509 - 12/03/00 11:15 PM Re: Anyone else sensitive to light?
Lisa Z Offline

Loc: Charlotte, North Carolina USA
Hi folks. Not to disappoint anyone, but I've had 8 eye surgeries throughout my life & it has had no impact on my tearing. Yes my surgeons were the best, from Johns Hopkins in Baltimore to Jules Stein Eye Clinic @ UCLA. The surgeries were for the single purpose of building up my eyelids trying to reduce the ectropia. Some worked better than other, a couple not at all. I feel it's a crap shoot. BUT, this should not dissuade anyone from trying. I've never had any surgery for my tear ducts. I will investigate this procedure. And like several of you I have worn sunglass all of my life. There are times even indoor light is hard. I've put a dimmer on the bathroom light to help me through those mornings. I've also found sleeping with a sleep mask helps keep my eyes protected at night & eliminates the light sensativity in the morning. Good luck to those of you going through & considering surgery, I will have it done again because the doctor is right, your sking does go back to the way it was before, it's just a little bit better.

#15510 - 01/19/01 03:45 PM Re: Anyone else sensitive to light?
Gray Offline

Hi

New to this place. I too am sensitive to light, and have to wear sunglasses when it is sunny. Headlights at night are a real problem.

#15511 - 01/20/01 01:00 AM Re: Anyone else sensitive to light?
James Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas USA
The eye surgery is necessary for some people. It depends also on how severe your eye lids are turn out or how tightly drawn are your eye lids. Mine were very tight and red all the time and watered alot. The surgury does not last (mine 5 years).My eye lids on each end were cracking and hurt when i turned my head from side to side. I am please that i had them redone, although dissappointed that they probably will only last 5 years. I lube the outside with eucrein & eye lube regualrily. I have noticed now that my eye site has improved and my eyes don't water except when it is windy or i'm under a ceiling fan. I think your plastic surgen should know what is best.

#15512 - 01/21/01 03:39 AM Re: Anyone else sensitive to light?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey people,
Being from Southern California I always wear sunglasses during the day and never noticed how sensitive my eyes were until I dropped my raybans from a fourth floor balcony and that's when I discovered my eye sensitivity. I'm also very sensitive to headlights at night. I have EHK, does this occur in all ichthyosis forms???
Keith.

#15513 - 01/30/01 07:48 PM Re: Anyone else sensitive to light?
Rosalie Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Eu...
Can't stand the light either! I have EHK with 'normal' closing eyes. I always assumed the sensitivity was caused by the soriatane.

#15514 - 03/17/01 04:28 AM Re: Anyone else sensitive to light?
sofia Offline

Loc: Little Neck, New York , Queens
I read the part about sensitivity to the light. I started to see at night I was sensitve to the street lights. In the morning on a sunny day I never leave w/out my sunglasses. I don't know if it has to do with the abrasions or dry eye or the icthyosis.

#15515 - 03/25/01 06:27 AM Re: Anyone else sensitive to light?
jesique Offline

Loc: Copperas Cove, TX, USA
I have noticed the same thing as most of yall. When ever I drive at night, the headlights from other cars seem really bright to me. Almost like they have their brights on. But whenever I tell someone this they just look at me funny like I have lost my mind. Also during the day this bothers me. I have lamellar and its nice to hear Im not going crazy, that other people have this problem. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information