Topic Options
#15486 - 05/13/08 06:20 PM long term accutane side effects
steph Offline

Loc: carrollcounty,MD USA
Hi,
I am trying to find others who have taken accutane or other retinoids over a long period of time (3 or more years). I discovered this forum when I searched "long term accutane". Let me first say that I don't have ichthyosis. I can now say from reading you all's post that I've started to learn about it. I have papulopustular rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis on my face. Nothing seems to really help it except accutane. I've been taking it for 3 years now at a low dose (10mg per day). I'm scared of what it might be doing to my body by taking it so long. One thing I've noticed, is more wrinkles on my face. I'm 37 so maybe the wrinkles would of been showing up at this point in my life anyway. Has anyone else noticed the wrinkle side effect or anything I might find helpful? I'd really appreciate any replies. Thank you. God Bless. Steph

#15487 - 05/14/08 02:52 PM Re: long term accutane side effects
Sarah Helen Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, Probably North of...
Hi Steph!

I have been on Soriatane (acitretin) for just about two decades now. I have experienced few to no side effects, but I am very lucky. Others on here have experienced a whole range of side effects. It really comes down to how an individual reacts.
Due to the nature of my condition (skin growing too fast) I am not prone to wrinkles. One of the few benefits of Ich.

Good luck in your research and I'm glad that you are looking to many resources for your answer!

#15488 - 05/15/08 07:06 PM Re: long term accutane side effects
steph Offline

Loc: carrollcounty,MD USA
Sarah Helen,
I am so glad you replied to my post. Is Soriatane pretty much the same thing as accutane? Do they have same ingredients? I assumed they do because they are both retinoids. With the pregnancy restriction of 3 years after stop of medication, I'd think it might be stronger. The only side effects that I can pretty much correlate with accutane are dry eyes, lips, mouth, little consptipated, and my triglyerides have gone up and down. Do you get dry lips? How much do you take a day? Do you get regular blood work done to test you liver function? Sorry for all the questions. From reading others posts, oral retinoids have been taken for long periods of time. Any kind of research I've tried to find, gives the impression that these meds have never been taken long term. Thanks again for your response. Steph

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information