Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#15413 - 02/03/07 11:21 PM used acutane in the past about to start soriatane
luckelizard Offline

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX, USA
Hello all.. as i said a few months ago.. my new dr is wanting to start me on soriatane.. im fearful of it because i remember all the side effects of accutane when i was a teen.. can anyone offer any suggestions?? My skin is the most sensitive i have ever seen.. i break out just using baby oil.. alot of the lotions make me scream (i have had two kids i can handle some burning) but the burning with lotions kills me. my skin on accutane became paper thin.. i felt just looking at it would tear me somewhere.. is soriatane the same way or is it better?? please offer some kind of advice.. it will be greatly appreciated.. thank you.. Crystal Rose

#15414 - 02/03/07 11:45 PM Re: used acutane in the past about to start soriatane
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hi Crystal,

I tried soriatane in about 2002, with mixed results...I don't think it made me anywhere near as fragile as Roaccuttane does...Although accutane is not making me rip like it was, as i now suspect it was only because the top scaly areas were being lifted...now they are mostly gone there is no more fragility...within reason anyway...

I recall that soriatane made me feel like i was on fire, but can't remember if it was the same heat sensation i am having with Roaccutane...I think it was worse then

I only stayed on Soriatane for 3 months, brecause i was losing too much hair, and i guess at that stage, i was too vain about my hair to risk losing it, for the sake of good skin...

These days my priorities have totally reversed, Accutane is so much better for me i don't care about my hair...

Another thing i remember about Soriatane, was the smell of my skin...it was very strange i can't even describe it...The scale smell was gone of course, but replaced by a strong strange smell...

Accutane doesn't have this smell...totally gone, and that is my main reason for staying on it...too many social problems with the odor...

Hope this helps some...
Love Pauline
XXX

#15415 - 02/21/07 08:42 PM Re: used acutane in the past about to start soriatane
melissa Offline

Loc: janesville WI USA
I have been on Soriatane for 6 years and I love it! I dont want to ever go off!

#15416 - 06/07/07 05:36 PM Re: used acutane in the past about to start soriatane
JodiMeador1 Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by luckelizard:
Hello all.. as i said a few months ago.. my new dr is wanting to start me on soriatane.. im fearful of it because i remember all the side effects of accutane when i was a teen.. can anyone offer any suggestions?? My skin is the most sensitive i have ever seen.. i break out just using baby oil.. alot of the lotions make me scream (i have had two kids i can handle some burning) but the burning with lotions kills me. my skin on accutane became paper thin.. i felt just looking at it would tear me somewhere.. is soriatane the same way or is it better?? please offer some kind of advice.. it will be greatly appreciated.. thank you.. Crystal Rose

#15417 - 06/26/07 05:53 PM Re: used acutane in the past about to start soriatane
dlordgormley Offline

Loc: Chelmsford, MA, USA
What's the difference between acutane and soriatane? I took acutane for a short time and I must admit layers of skin peeled off but my Derm wouldn't let me stay on it for very long as it can be very harmful to your liver.

DLG

#15418 - 06/27/07 12:40 AM Re: used acutane in the past about to start soriatane
pauline5 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by dlordgormley:
What's the difference between acutane and soriatane?
DLG

Hi There, I have been wondering the same thing...I was under the impression that Soriatane was the same name as NEO-TIGASON...

but then i thought that Soriatane was another word for Accutane...

I was on Accutane back in November, but just now as of middle of April I am on NEOTIGASON...the package aslo xalls it ACITRETIN...

can someone help me undo this confusion?

#15419 - 06/27/07 08:03 AM Re: used acutane in the past about to start soriatane
PsychGal Offline

Loc: By a large mountain
Soriatane and Neotegison are different names for the same drug called Acitretin.

Accutane only goes by the name of Accutane.

#15420 - 06/27/07 11:07 AM Re: used acutane in the past about to start soriatane
Sarah Helen Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, Probably North of...
Hello All!
Acitretin in the generic name for the drug and Soriatane is a brand name. Acitretin is a derivative of Accutane so, although it is similar, it is both stronger and has a different effect.
I have been taking Acitretin for about 18 years now (Wow, I'm old!) and I couldn't live without it. I didn't experience any of the burning that Pauline mentioned and it certainly allowed my thick skin to peel off. I have been closely monitored for bone and blood abnormalities but, so far (knock on wood), I'm fine.
This drug is not for everyone and different people experience different side effects. The best thing is to discuss it with your MD and, if you want to, give it a try for a few months.
It can be scary to try because it can be a big change - but it could be a positive one for you!
Sarah

------------------
Sarah
35 with EHK

#15421 - 06/28/07 07:09 AM Re: used acutane in the past about to start soriatane
pauline5 Offline

Thanks for clearing that up for me Tatiana, I knew you would know the answer to this...

Hi Sarah, I am now convinced that Acitretin is the drug for me.

But this time I am not worrying about the hair loss...not as vain maybe as i was back then...and I am thrilled with the results so far. No burning or stickiness or funny smell either...

Commenced around 25th April and started off having just 2 x 10mg per week, then i increased it by 1 more day as each week went by until i was taking one per day...Now i am having one each morning, plus an extra one 2 days per week...

I had a long soak in salt bath today, and thought about how Tatiana advised that it was the best way to speed up the peeling/clear skin, and boy how right she was...my legs are getting very babyskin pink today...

My palms are really peeling off...MY LEFT HAND IS ALMOST 'NON-PALMO', I can't stop looking at it...I am most thrilled about this part of my body...and most of my toes no longer have thick callous on them....THEY ARE SO TINY ALL OF A SUDDEN... hehe [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

I realise now also, that the key to its success is to keep well moisturised...I am putting on 50/50% liquid and soft white parrafin twice a day, and Cetrimide cream in between that...so this reduces peeling (well, just sticks it down really) and also takes the redness out of it.

Parrafin is a pain though because it is so greasy, but right now is the perfect time to use it while on Uni break...staying home with old clothes on...

Thanks for reminding me of the bone scans...I have only had one baseline one, when i started Accutane in Nov...

Can anyone who has been on Acitretin and Accutane, tell me which one was more successful and less painful???

Well I finally found a winner i think...thanks guys
Love Pauline

#15422 - 07/02/07 12:32 PM Re: used acutane in the past about to start soriatane
Sarah Helen Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, Probably North of...
Yaaay Pauline!!
I'm so glad that you are having good results and enjoying the morphing of your skin. I remember when my toes peeled for the first time and thinking - they're so tiny! My shoe size actually changed a bit.

You sound so happy and excited and I'm really, really glad for you.

Sarah

------------------
Sarah
35 with EHK

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information