Topic Options
#15329 - 06/23/04 02:30 PM Advice on Neotigason/Soriatane
mark_england Offline

Loc: UK
Hi all, I am a 25 year old male and have suffered with psoriasis since puberty. After having many different ointments/creams, tar treatment and UV light treatment, my Dermatologist is now presenting Neotigason as a treatment course.

I've read some information and would really appreciate some advice or opinions on the drug.

My psoriasis is now pretty active on my hands, feet, knees and elbows, with small spots of "guttae" or small spots on my arms, legs, back, stomach and groin. Also, my face has some noticeable red areas but not too active thankfully.

What I would like to know is if it is worth the possible side effects of this drug, is it likely to clear my skin, and if so how long does it take? What side effects are more likely, has anyone suffered badly from this drug?

Would people recommend it or should I stick to the ineffective creams,light therapy etc.

All replies appreciated.

------------------

#15330 - 06/24/04 06:55 AM Re: Advice on Neotigason/Soriatane
Les Avakian Offline

Loc: Fresno, Calif. USA 93705
Hello Mark
I can help you with information about Neotigason/Soriatane.This past weekend, I met Dr. Lincoln Krochmal,M.D. at Camp Wonder in Livermore, Calif.He represents Connetics Corp, a company that has taken over the drug Soriatane from Roche Pharmacy.Their website is www.connetics.com and it will list how to contact them for questions.He is a wonderful,sincere,and compassionate man who was a driving force in getting FDA approval for Lachydrin 12% lactic acid cream (Westwood Squibb. I dont use any of the retinoids, so cant be of help, but many of our posters do, so hopefully they will respond.For everyone, contact Connetics Corp for the latest information about Soriatane.
Sincerely,
Les Avakian

#15331 - 06/24/04 03:16 PM Re: Advice on Neotigason/Soriatane
mark_england Offline

Hi Les, thanks for your reply, I should send them an e-mail for some more information..

------------------

#15332 - 06/24/04 05:23 PM Re: Advice on Neotigason/Soriatane
Sofie Offline

Loc: Switzerland / USA
Dear Mark

Not an easy question to answer.. You will see on this website that Soriatane and other retinoids are discussed controversially. I am afraid that no one else but you will be able to answer this question. You will need to balance possible side effects against possible benefits. Everybody reacts differently to the drug, some notice great improvement, some don't (by the way: most of us have Ichthyosis and not Psoriasis). Some have lots of trouble with side effects, some don't. I have been using the drug for 14 years with good results and almost no side effects (I experience dry eyes, nose etc., problems with too thin skin on hands and feet, but who knows what is happening inside my body that can't be seen by now, e.g. bone changes). You might want to read some of the posts on this board, contact the producer, contact other doctors and gather as much information as possible. It is not an easy decision to make and it has to be your personal decision.

All the best,
Sofie

[This message has been edited by Sofie (edited June 24, 2004).]

#15333 - 11/01/04 03:45 AM Re: Advice on Neotigason/Soriatane
Jr88 Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Although this has been a topic of debate and controversy in the past in this board, I will give my two cents...

I have been taking Soriatane for the past few years and have noticed a difference. I am 28 with EHK.

I think retnoids will treat everyone differently, so its hard to predict what or how it will affect someone, but it is certainly an option that is worth exploring for anyone that is pondering alternatives. I will state, for the record, that I am on very low dosage currently, 25mg every two or three days, but I think for the most part, I haven't had any negative effects. To this point, the positives have outweighed any negatives. I give it a thumbs up.

I would certainly recommend consulting a dermatalogist before starting any retnoids and having your liver tested regularly.

Jr

#15334 - 01/30/05 09:29 PM Re: Advice on Neotigason/Soriatane
Sarah Helen Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, Probably North of...
Hello Mark,
I was actually a test case in Canada for Soriatane before it was approved. There are some very subtle side effects that become apparent in different people.
If you do try it, keep a journal to note any changes. This will help you track the side effects with your doctor.

Sarah

#15335 - 02/01/05 04:13 PM Re: Advice on Neotigason/Soriatane
mark_england Offline

Hi,

I was meaning to come back here and comment on my experiences on the drug.

I've been using it for several months now, and it hasn't really made any impact on my psoriasis I have to say. In terms of side-effects I would say I've been lucky as I've not really experienced anything, other than a dryness of skin on my face and lips in particular. I've also had regular blood tests whilst on the drug with no apparent problems.

My dermatologist started me on 10mg at first and we've gradually built up to my current level which is 40mg per day. This was a cautious approach but this was how he recommended, and I agreed.

My dilemma now is whether to push on with neotigason in higher doses (up to 60mg per day) or to move to another drug, which is steroid-based and has potentially more serious side-effects. This option does give a better change of clearing my psoriasis though, according to my dermatologist.

Thanks for your input everyone.

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information