Topic Options
#15281 - 09/17/03 09:56 AM its posible for me to get pregnancy?
Mafalda Offline

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Hello, im a new member and i suffer from ichthyosis lamellar all my entire life. im 24 years old, now. I found this website, and many of muy questions and doubts where answered with your testimonys. I have a boyfriend and we are living together. Ive always loved children with all my heart, and muy dream is to became a mother. Because of muy ichtiosis, doctors always told me, that there be a posibility that muy son will came with the same disease. Muy problem is that i took Retinoids for several years, Neotigason and acutan (for a acne treatment). When the doctor told me that i could no longer take Neo tigason, because its a very strong medication, and i could have problems when i would became pregnant. So i stopped. For the past 8 years, i havent took Neo tigason. The acutan, i took it last year, when i was doing a acne treatment. It was a small dosis. With all this medications so storng that could get in a lot of troble, do you guys think that is safe for me to became pregnancy in the future? iF not, my desire of being a mother will never realise, and ill be the sadest person on this earth.

good look to all of you that suffers from this disease.
mafalda

#15282 - 09/17/03 08:16 PM Re: its posible for me to get pregnancy?
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Hello Mafalda,

You are bringing up something that interestingly enough we have been talking about recently.

If you have lamellar ichthyosis, the only way your children will have it is if the father also carries the gene for lamellar. He can be tested for this by a genetecist. Your children will be carries of the recessive gene for lamellar without a doubt, though.

As to the medications, we have gotten different information as to how long once should wait until becoming pregnant after having been on Accutane or neotegasin. We all came to the conclusions that waiting 2-3 years is long enough to wait before becoming pregnant.

Unless there are other medical issues you have that I'm not aware of, in my opinion, I can't think of a reason as to why you couldn't have a child after three years since you last took a retinoid.

#15283 - 09/18/03 04:12 PM Re: its posible for me to get pregnancy?
Mafalda Offline

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
I came from my doctor yesterday full of hope! Altough ive taked Retinoids during several years, theres no problem for me to get pregnant! The laste time i took neotigason was in 1996, and the Acutan was last year. My doctor said me, that for neotigason i must stay 2 years without taking it, and acutan, one or two months. So, im "clean" of all kind of stubstances, and im going to do some tests to see how much posibilities do i have for a future and wealthy pregancy.
right now im just full of dreams and wishing that the near future, will be happy. :-)

ill keep in touch!
mafalda

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information