Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15270 - 08/25/03 01:26 PM Accutane and pregnancy
Lisa Marie Offline

Loc: NY
I went to my dermatologist on Saturday and asked how long I need to be off Accutane (it's one year now) before getting pregnant. He firmly told me only one month but that he tells his patients to wait 3 months. I told him what I read on this site and he said he never heard anything about 5 years - unless a person is taking Sorritaine (spelling?) which he says he would say never to get pregnant because of the half life or something like that. I told him it will be a year or two (at the most) that I want to get pregnant, but I thought if I needed to get tests to find out if it is out of my body, I could start soon. He said there is no test to determine that.
I am most likely going to the conference next year and hopefully one of the doctors there will have more conclusive information, but I was just wondering what other people know about this subject. I told my doctor that I will wait if I have to so that I won't hurt the baby, but he said not to worry that he never heard of a baby being affected by someone on Accutane after being off it a few months. ????

#15271 - 08/26/03 01:49 AM Re: Accutane and pregnancy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lisa,
ONE MONTH?????, I don't know where your doctor got that number from. I took it for 10 years and from the time I started it to the time I went off of it I never saw any literature that said anything less than 2 years. It has been 12 years since I took it, and studies may have found out more about how long it can stay in your body. It does store in fat cells, but for how long? If there is no test to determine whether or not it is present in your system, how can he be so sure that it is safe after a month? I understand that the main concern is not to take it while you are pregnant, and that the usuall one month break is to clean out your liver and bloodstream. To say it is ok after a month or even 3 months is downright negligent. You would think a doctor would want to play it safe for your babies sake and tell you to wait much longer then "recommended". Pauline sent me a bunch of studies on accutane and I'm sure somewhere in them it had a specific amount of time you should wait. Unfortunately I lost all those documents when my computer crashed. Get ahold of pauline, maybe she still has a record of them.
Keith.

#15272 - 08/26/03 05:12 AM Re: Accutane and pregnancy
Sirena Offline

Loc: Wasilla, Alaska
Hi!
When I wanted to get get on accutane my Dr. wouldn't let me because I was young and in child bearing years. I was annoyed at first but as it turned out ended up pregnant a year later. He told me at that time which was now 14 almost 15 years ago that there were cases of birth defects even after being off for 6 months. I agree with Keith and you talk to other doctors and be overly cautious. You are wise.
Take care,
S

#15273 - 08/27/03 01:34 AM Re: Accutane and pregnancy
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Lisa,

I have to say that I was also appauled at the One month grace...seems very strange and dangerous to me...And regards the info I sent Keith...I will have to check that out...Keith how long ago did I sent that to you...I might not even have it anymore...

See ya later,

#15274 - 08/27/03 01:12 PM Re: Accutane and pregnancy
Lisa Marie Offline

Thank you all for responding. I never believed the one-month period. Thankfully we're not in a huge rush to have children. Honestly I would love them now, but I'll wait another two years so I'll be off the Accutane for three years total. I'm hopeful that that will be a good enough time frame.
This may sound elementary, but I'm wondering if Accutane is stored in the fat cells, if over years doing lots of cardio vascular exercising will help burn it off - not so much just for reducing weight, but it by reducing the fat cells wouldn't what's in it get burned off? I would be kind of embarrassed to ask a doctor this. Does this sound ridiculous?
I have time to do more research.

#15275 - 08/29/03 05:31 PM Re: Accutane and pregnancy
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I took Accutane many years ago. I was also told that if I ever wanted to have a baby, I would need to stop taking Accutane for at least 2 years.

What your doctor is most likely using is the information given for someone who is taking Accutane for a short time period. If one is taking Accutane only to treat acne, it's only taken for about three months. For such a short term, one month is a somewhat reasonable waiting period before conceiving.

However, it is harder to find information about what the waiting period should be if you have been taking Accutane long term, at least on the internet.

I would suggest calling F.I.R.S.T. or writing to them. Their web address is www.scalyskin.org I bet someone in the office knows what the waiting period should be, or can give you the email address of one of the dermatology physicians/researches affilated with F.I.R.S.T. If you are a F.I.R.S.T. member and recieve their newsletter, send a letter in and I bet it would be answered in the newsletter.

#15276 - 09/02/03 02:02 PM Re: Accutane and pregnancy
Lisa Marie Offline

Chandra - that's a good idea. I just sent them an e-mail. I'll post what happens.
I know my derm. doesn't mean any harm, but you are probably right with him giving the short time off for the people on it a short time. He does know how long I've been on it, but never pushed me to go on breaks, etc. I'm thinking I may need to find a more aggressive derm.
Thanks again.

#15277 - 09/09/03 10:06 PM Re: Accutane and pregnancy
Rosalie Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Eu...
Hi there,

This reply is about Soriatane not Accutane!

In Europe Soriatane is called Neotigason this means 'new tegason'. With the old tegason they said you had to wait for two years. When the new tegason was released theY said you'd only have to wait for three months. Later studies proved that under influence of (among others?) alcohol the new tegason gets transformed into the 'old tegason' (I'm sorry, I forgot the proper medical terms). In some cases a three month waiting period might be enough, in other cases (when it gets stacked in the fatcells) two years might not be enough...
I participated in a researchproject where they examined my fatcells, so it must be possible to be tested before you try to become pregnant.

Though my derm is ok, he told me I only had to be carefull with alcohol because of my liverfunctions. He doesnt know about the fatcells story. I think the manufacurers site (Roche) gives the best information because they have to be very carefull with what they say!

By the way: The thought about a radical diet combined with exercise in order to get the "bad fatcells" out crossed my mind too...

#15278 - 09/10/03 11:15 AM Re: Accutane and pregnancy
Lisa Marie Offline

Rosalie- Thank you for your input. Can you tell me how they checked your fat cells? I would love to do that when the time comes. Does it hurt? Nobody ever told me not to drink when I was on Accutane, so being that I took it from 16 - 30, I had some drinks ... lol.
Lisa

#15279 - 09/26/03 09:01 AM Re: Accutane and pregnancy
Rosalie Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Eu...
Lisa,

They did a skin biopsy on my lower back (got plenty of fatcells over there...). I had a local anaesthesia and they took a couple of layers of skin (and fatcells I presume!) with a very little 'apple corer'. I didn't feel a thing. It does leave a very tiny round scar.

I think testing this if you want to become pregnant after using retinoids should be routine, but I don't know if it's actually done. I would certainly want to, because I would even be scared after a two year waiting period!

Rosalie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information