Topic Options
#15265 - 08/12/03 03:40 PM Peeling Hands and Feet => Soriatane
Alyssa Offline

Loc: Roselle, IL USA
My mother has been taking Soriatane for over two months now and is experiencing severely dry/peeling hands and feet. Has anyone experienced the same? If so, what remedy would you recommend? Thank you in advance for your help.

#15266 - 08/13/03 12:04 AM Re: Peeling Hands and Feet => Soriatane
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I've had this same issue in the past, but not from taking a prescription. A few things come to mind:

Soaking her feet/hands in parafin (such as they do in spas before a pedicure or manicure) might help.

Wetting her hands, then applying her favorite moisturizer and then covering her hands in either vinyl or latex gloves would work. Sandwich baggies work in a pinch. Do the same for her feet, and wrapping them in clear plastic wrap like saran wrap will work. Do not unwrap hands/feet for at least two hours.

Make sure that when she wears shoes, she wears shoes that offer excellent support, such as a custom shoe, high quality walking shoe (either athletic shoe or shoes that nurses might wear), or even hiking boot.

Gently exfoliate her feet with something like a loofah or pumice stone, or even very fine grained sandpaper.

Some people do very well soaking their feet or bathing in saltwater baths (just plain ol' bath salts or even Epsom salts, I think).

Wear gloves whenever she's doing dishes to keep her hands from getting wet and then repeatedly drying out.

Avoid most off the shelf lotions that have perfumes in them. The alcohol in the perfum will dry her hands out even more.

The parafin soak is supposed to feel really good, so I'd definitely try that first.

#15267 - 08/13/03 06:30 AM Re: Peeling Hands and Feet => Soriatane
Sofie Offline

Loc: Switzerland / USA
Dear Alyssa

That is very familiar to me! I never had peeling hands and feets the way I have them since I am taking Neotigason (=Soriatane). According to my doctors this is very common when you take Neotigason. It is usually worse in winter. Especialy in the mornings. Initially I could hardly walk, touch warm water etc. My grandmother would smear butter on my hands and feet and cover them with socks during the night to make it bearable. Since those initial problems I managed to find a better balance between the good effects Neotigason has on my skin and the bad effects (the peeling hands and feet). To do this I had to play around with the dose quite a bit. Now my hand and feet are still peeling that special way but they usually do not hurt (it still looks quite special of course). The rest of my skin is in an ok state as well so I am fine with it. In my case it was just a question of how much Neotigason I took.

A word regarding the peeling: On my palms and soles due to the Neotigason the skin is not peeling in flakes. Whole patches are coming off. One doctor once told me another patient of his was able to like peel of a 'glove' every so und so days.

Hope this helps. All the best,
Sofie

#15268 - 08/13/03 02:13 PM Re: Peeling Hands and Feet => Soriatane
Alyssa Offline

Loc: Roselle, IL USA
Thank you so much Chandra and Sofie for your replies. Chandra, your recommendations are wonderful. Sofie - Your symptoms are very much like my Mom's. Her palms and soles of her feet are peeling, not flaking. My question is does the peeling eventually stop? If not, was there anything you found that would remedy the peeling in patches?

#15269 - 08/13/03 10:54 PM Re: Peeling Hands and Feet => Soriatane
rjbrown Offline

Loc: henderson,ky,us
Hi. I have LI and have been taking Soriatane two yrs. now. My palms and soles of my feet have thinned somewhat, but not peeled more than before. However. my legs and back of my hands and fingers peel in large sheets about every 28 days or so, sore for 24 hrs. and then good until it wants to peel again. This is the only areas. Otherwise the Soriatane works great, I take 25mg daily, could take more but this dose works for me, about 75% improvement. Good luck, Randy

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information