Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#15165 - 07/09/01 10:37 AM Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
I'm glad you posted that reminder Glori (I did have that in the back of my mind too, the inconsistency between the Roche literature and what you see in practice at blood donation centers).

Would be interesting to ask someone from the Red Cross for some additional insight on that point.

#15166 - 07/22/01 12:47 AM Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects
kat27_2000 Offline

Reports of Adverse side effects of Accutane---please request this information under the Freedom of Information Act, IH-35 from the FDA Medwatch system. Request that they waive the fee charged. You will be stunned---I guarantee it. You must submit a written request.

To Kelli: Please contact roacc@hotmail.com They would be very interested in speaking to you.

There is an entire site devoted to hair loss and Accutane. I don't have the URL handy right now.

Trust what Roche has to say about Accutane?--No, I don't think so. Not with their track record on this particular drug. Don't believe everything you read on the internet about Accutane? Well, does that apply to medical abstracts and letters about adverse effects observed? Try PubMed and a host of other medical sites. Does that apply to adverse effects reported to the FDA Medwatch system by doctors or health care practitioners? Does that apply to the people who have experienced them first hand?
Does that apply to the messages posted referring to various studies and reports that give documentation info.?

Accutane is a 13 cis retinoic acid--the other is a 9 trans. The chemical structure is different.

[This message has been edited by kat27_2000 (edited July 22, 2001).]

#15167 - 07/22/01 05:10 PM Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
Okay, I've recently had the difference between Accutane and Soriatane clarified. This is my current understanding, compliments of a trusted source (so take it for whatever you think it's worth):

Soriatane is very close to etretinate (Tegison). Organic chemistry is *not* a strong point of mine [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] but what I understood was that if you lopped off just a small part of a Soriatane molecule, you'd have etretinate. That's why the liver (especially in the presence of alcohol) can convert Soriatane into etretinate. Etretinate has a long half life. Hence the advice to wait at least 2 years before conceiving a child.

Soriatane has not been proven to be any safer than Accutane. Pretty much the same side effects, with same rate of occurence (in fact, maybe more).

Most women of child-bearing ages will be directed to Accutane. Accutane has a half life of about 18 hours. Shorter half life, same or lesser side effects = more attractive for women (and maybe men too).

Also, because they are quite different chemically, people respond differently to Accutane and Soriatane. Many do not get the same results (esp. in improving ichthyosis) in one vs. the other.

That's my nickel version of how the two are different. Hope that helped somebody (other than me [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] ).

Laura

[This message has been edited by Laura Phillips (edited July 22, 2001).]

#15168 - 04/02/08 09:32 AM Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects
mike2020 Offline

Loc: USA
I am 44 years old now, but took acutane in my early 20's. Before I took acutane, I would sweat very easy, especially in my armpit. A few years after being off acutane, I noticed I don't sweat as I used to. I am 44, now and and sweat very little and do not swear at all in my armpit. This is a problem because I do not tolerate heat like I used to.

Has anybody experianced this problem?

Mike

#15169 - 05/28/08 10:01 AM Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects
katie777 Offline

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Laura Phillips:
I'm glad you posted that reminder Glori (I did have that in the back of my mind too, the inconsistency between the Roche literature and what you see in practice at blood donation centers).

Would be interesting to ask someone from the Red Cross for some additional insight on that point.

The Red Cross website (http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_557_,00.html) under donating eligibility lists that you have to wait until one month after taking your last dose of Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis or Sotret (isoretinoin), Proscar (finasteride), and Propecia (finasteride)or 3 years after your last dose of Soriatane (acitretin).

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information