Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#15135 - 03/23/01 09:48 PM Accutane Long-term Side Effects
adh01au Offline

Loc: Australia
More and more people like myself, who have taken Accutane are now having terrible problems years down the tract. Some problems that present during therapy do not go away when it finishes. Others do not emerge until years after therapy has finished. If you have had some problems check out:
www.roaccutaneaction.com (UK) www.roaccutanesurvivors.com (AUS)

#15136 - 03/25/01 12:41 AM Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
Thanks for the links. I totally understand the reasons that people use Soriatane and Accutane, but I am personally a pretty big wimp. I have enough problems in life without worrying what a pill is going to do to me, and I am just afraid of the drugs.
I think it's really important the people know what they are getting into with these drugs, and with this kind of information available, they will be more apt to pay attention to something that's out of the norm and hopefully seek guidance from their doctor before things have a chance to get worse.

#15137 - 03/27/01 12:19 PM Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects
Lisa Marie Offline

Loc: NY
I just wanted to comment that I've been taking Accutane for over 13 years with absolutely no side effects. I take 80mg a day, which is a lot more than I've heard anyone else on this site take. My only concern is having children and how long I have to be off the drug before doing so. If anyone has any knowledge of this, please let me know.
Lisa Marie

#15138 - 03/28/01 02:03 AM Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects
NormJb4Wahoos Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA USA
I Have been taking accutane since I was 11 yrs old. I will be 34 in May of this year. I have had no long term side effects from accutane. I take 80mg. a day. i love Accutane, it has been a life saver.

#15139 - 03/28/01 09:55 AM Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know you have all heard this before, but I couldn't let there only be "good" posts about accutane on this subject. I took accutane for 10 years, it was much higher then 80 mg. 10 years later I am still having terrible side effects related to my skeletal structure not to mention the problems with my eyes. Recently, mind you this is 10 years after stopping the drug, I have developed urticaria which I now have to take zyrtec for everyday. Some people can take this drug with no problems and some people can't.
Keith.

#15140 - 03/28/01 03:38 PM Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I posted a long time ago requesting input from people on Accutane and Soriatane. What I didn't mention (and now seems relevant on this topic) was that I too Accutane for approximately 6 months to 1 year. I stopped taking it when I was 13. I had the following side effects:

terrible pain in my spine & knees
bloody noses
worsened depression

I was put on another drug for my skin, that I vaguely think sounds like methotrexate. I am not sure if that's the name but I know it was not Accutane or Soriatane. The effects I had were severe nauseau and stomache pain. I lasted for about 3 months taking it before I stopped as I went from a size 12 to a size 8 in a matter of six weeks. Some people might like that thought but when you realize it's because it hurt to eat (and not to eat) and the only thing I could handle eating was rice cakes, you'd realize that is not a healthy way to loose weight.

My older sister and I usually experience a lot of drug side effects when we take anything for longer than 3 days.

Everyone responds differently to drug therapies. I've gotten to the point where I pretty much agree with Glori. In my mind, if the detriments outweight the benefits then don't take it, and if it's for purely cosmetic reasons and doesn't help you feel better, don't take it. If you find the side effects are worth it, go for it, but personally I find that there's very little the drugs can do for me that repeated bathing and creaming can't do. A little more time in my daily routines is far better than not being able to eat or hurting all the time.

#15141 - 04/10/01 11:21 AM Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
The Roche website indicates a waiting period of one month before getting pregnant. Of course, they also say to wait one month before donating blood, but there are no blood donation centers that I know of that will let you donate blood ever again if you have taken Accutane or Soriatane even once.
For further information on Roche's warnings on Accutane, go here: http://www.rocheusa.com/products/accutane/pi.html

#15142 - 04/18/01 01:19 PM Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects
Kellly Offline

Loc: Glendale, WI USA
O.K. I'm new here but I have to put my 2 cents worth on Accutane in here.

I was part of the experimental protol back in the early 80's when I was 9 years old. I wouldn't recommend Accutane for anyone and it had played havoc with my bones. I've had MAJOR knee surgery and my leg bows inward when I was 16 years old. I have severe pain in that leg as a result. My eyes haven't been the same, my skin got drier and drier and drier. Blood tests everyother week. I could go on.

I do understand that the doctors were at a loss as what to do with me, and i also know that a lot of improvements have been made with the drug and if you have improvement with your skin I'm happy for you. but the long term effects weigh out the short term effects. As far as pregnancy goes, I've had 3 children and you need to wait at least 5 years AFTER your last dose in order to insure no birth defects (at least Accutane wise.) Those were the stats given to me. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

MY 2 cents worth for what it's worth

Kelly

#15143 - 04/19/01 07:19 AM Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects
Lisa Marie Offline

Loc: NY
Kelly - Where did you hear that a person had to be off Accutane five years to ensure birth deffects? I was told one month. I have been on Accutane 13 years with no problems. I am taking less Accuatane in hopes of coming off totally to have children in a few years. Did the Accutane affect your children? Do they all have Ichthyosis?
Lisa

#15144 - 04/19/01 11:22 AM Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects
Kellly Offline

Loc: Glendale, WI USA
- Where did you hear that a person had to be off Accutane five years to ensure birth deffects? I was told one month. Did the Accutane affect your children? Do they all have Ichthyosis?
Hi Lisa Marie..

I was told by the doctors who put my on the protcol way back in the 80's. Like I said in my previous post, I think that has changed. But the drug lasts in your system for at least 2 months. But that was what I and my parents were told. So when I got pregnant with my daughter Nichole who is now 7, I was terrified because I had heard all these horror stories about birth defects resulting from Accutane.

The Accutane did not affect the children and no NONE (as I'm extremely happy to say) have Epidermolytic Hyperkeratosis. But I am surprised that your doctor put you on Accutane as you are probably of child bearing ages. I'm told that unless I get a doctor's letter telling them that I had a tubal I cannot go on any other medications for my skin in fear of an "accidental" pregnancy..

Kelly

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information