Topic Options
#14463 - 08/10/07 02:31 AM Update
Stacey L. Horr Offline

Loc: Washington
Since I have joined in on these conversations, our son has shown tremendous improvement. We have been soaking him every night in Aveeno and then washing him with an exfoliating wrag. We have also added Cetaphil to his Aquaphor routine. The scales on his back and arms are much less although the scales on his legs and scalp are still awful. They are thick and seem very deep so they do not come off with the wrag. The only set back we are having now is that his face (which has always been spared of the dry skin) is now starting to dry out. He has like laugh lines around his mouth and creases by his eyes. I stopped using the Cetaphil on his face thinking maybe it was drying it out but I don't know? Anyways a big thank you to everyone for your advice. I read the topics every single night for more ideas as we are desperate for every ounce of info.

------------------
Heavensent1031

#14464 - 08/10/07 03:02 AM Re: Update
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
I'm glad to hear things are starting to improve! My daughter has Netherton's, so I don't know how much a help this will be, but we use something called Burt's Bees Moisturizing Beeswax Cream (http://www.smallflower.com/burts-bees/be...aign=googlebase ) on her face, and then put Aquaphor on top of it after it's been absorbed, and it works REALLY well at keeping her face hydrated! That, or Theraplex is another great moisturizer (but that's more of an emollient, so it'll stay greasier longer).

#14465 - 08/10/07 05:02 AM Re: Update
momof3 Offline

Loc: SJ, CA USA
Cetaphil has never worked for my son. It makes him very dry! My sister who doesn't have a skin condition can't use it because she breaks out in a rash. Courtney recommended a bath powder made by Burt's Bees called Baby Bee Buttermilk Bath. I tried it on Dane today (my 2 1/2 year old who is still not diagnosed, but definitely has some skin disorder), and he loved his bath. The first time in a long time. I used it twice today, and he seemed pretty moisturized, relatively speaking of course. I do slather him in Theraplex lotion and emollient immediately after, and use aquaphor when I'm in too much of a rush to squeeze the Theraplex emollient out of the tube (it's pretty tough to do!). Anyway, those lotions due wonders for Dane's face, and seem to last for quite a few hours.

#14466 - 08/10/07 01:50 PM Re: Update
sideshowbob Offline

Loc: Midwest, USA
So glad to hear of the improvement!

Are you using the Cetaphil cleanser or lotion? It's easy to get them confused -- one year my mother in law gave us tons of the cleanser instead of the lotion, bless her heart. That would probably dry him out.

There could be several things going on with his face, if it isn't the Cetaphil:

(1) Since it has been so hot, the air conditioner or fans may be drying out his face.
(2) You may be seeing old skin that has built up coming off.
(3) He may not be able to tolerate washing his face every day.
(4)It could be the Aveeno -- that dries our daughter out really badly (she can only tolerate the Aquaphor wash).

I would suggest switching the face wash first, and seeing how that works for a week. If you don't see improvement, then switch out lotions. If that still doesn't work, try adjusting the number of times you wash his face. If that still doesn't work, you might need to beef up his face lotion with glycerin or adding another oil to his Aquaphor (blending Aquaphor and oil in a blender makes it less greasy, btw).

Their skin changes so much even day to day that you really just have to breathe deep, be patient, and keep at it -- much easier said than done!

#14467 - 08/11/07 01:47 AM Re: Update
Stacey L. Horr Offline

Loc: Washington
It is definately Cetaphil lotion. I use it on my 4 year old daughter in the winter when her eczema comes around and it works wonders for her. I have only been wiping his face with a wet wrag (no soap) for the past few baths so we'll see what that does. Also I am going to look for these Burts Bees products as it seems like most of the parents on here recommend them : )

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information