Topic Options
#13994 - 05/12/07 04:44 PM I'm disappointed!
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
Julia's derm. and ped. both gave us the go-ahead for that P+S liquid (for the scales on her scalp), so we tried it out last night. She didn't cry or anything, which is good, because my stomach was in knots - it has 2% salylic acid or whatever it's called, and I think that can sting. Either way, it didn't lol

But it didn't work! We bought the shampoo, too, and used it in the morning, but I saw no difference what-so-ever in the amount of scales on her head.

Maybe we didn't use enough? We were pretty reserved about the amount we used, because we were afraid it would hurt, and a few people on here said their kids' scalps were red afterwards, so we didn't want to give her a chemical burn.

#13995 - 05/12/07 09:05 PM Re: I'm disappointed!
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
We use Tazorac on Brian. It doesn't do anything for about a week after using it, then suddenly the skin starts coming off in clumps. Maybe P&S will be similar on Julia.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#13996 - 05/12/07 10:01 PM Re: I'm disappointed!
AngV3 Offline

Loc: Sartell, MN
I use the P&S for my son Braden (3) and it works wonders! You need to be very generous in the amount you put on for the first few times and let it really soak for at least a half and hour. The key is to use a fine tooth comb (like a newborn comb)and kind of comb out the skin/scales after the bath. If they dont lift right off, the oil was not on long enough or you may want to wait until the second or third application of the oil to make sure they are really loose before you comb if your nervous. The scalp does look red after but he seems fine with it and does not itch his head nearly as much plus with our skin, it always has a red tint on the parts that are not so thick. It clears it right up and as long as you use its a few times per week the thickness seems to keep under control.

------------------
Angela

#13997 - 05/18/07 04:45 AM Re: I'm disappointed!
Leandra Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
We have been using P&S Liquid on Natalie's scalp 1-2 times a week since she was only a few months old (derm said it was fine). As I recall, we had to use it several times before seeing good results. We find that we need to apply it pretty liberally (but make sure after it sets a few minutes that it doesn't leak down onto the forehead, ears, neck...really burns if it gets into the eyes) and let it set at least an hour. I know several folks put on a shower cap and leave on overnight, but that doesn't seem to be an option for a baby/toddler, and it's usually not workable for us to soak any longer than an hour. After the soak and just before bathtime, we use a fine-toothed comb and comb out the loosened scales. I DO NOT use P&S Shampoo after doing the oil because combing the scales irritates/scratches the skin to the point that the 2% salicylic acid in the shampoo really stings like the dickens. My biggest gripe about the oil is getting the stuff out...we usually have to wash/rinse 3-4 times with Dawn dishwashing liquid (which just re-dries the scalp) and then apply a conditioner afterward so the Dawn won't leave her too stripped of moisture. I'm still looking for a better way...sigh. We had recently "upgraded" to TSal which is 3% salicylic acid, and her hair started to thin dramatically!!! It's still a mystery why this has happened, but I very strongly suspect the salicylic acid...maybe left on too long or interacted with other products like tea tree shampoo I had used in conjunction??? Maybe even chronic use of antihistimines in accordance with the salicylic acid...really no clue. I'm not sure if any of my late night rambling has proved useful but wanted to chime in just in case. :-)

Leandra

#13998 - 05/28/07 10:48 PM Re: I'm disappointed!
wonderboy Offline

Loc: Orem, Utah USA
I am curious...

I don't use anything special on Mason' head because the two things I was told to didn't seem to make sense on a 3 year old. We tried the derma smoothe, but I couldn't leave it over night with the shower cap like I was told to, so the hour I left it on didn't seem like it did all that much for him. The tsal didn't seem to do anything either, it just made my baby stinkk like old man with dandruff!

What is the p+s you are all talking about? what other solutions are working? We have just been keeping mason's head as shaved as we can. (It's hard to shave with such thick scales!)

Let me know

------------------
Kerry
Mason's Mom
Lamellar Ichthyosis
5/9/2004

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information