Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#13745 - 04/01/07 02:08 PM baby scratching / itching
Conor Offline

Loc: Westport, Co. Mayo, Ireland
Hi,
Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with itching/scratching at night ?
We have a 5 month old boy with probable IV (no final diagnosis yet) and he doesn't seem to scratch much in the day but when we put him to bed at night he seems to go crazy and tear himself to bits in his sleep.
We are using cloth hand covers already and keeping his nails as short as we can. I reckon this must be a common problem with the dryness associated with IV so if anyone can help that would be great.
Conor, Ireland.

------------------
Conor

#13746 - 04/01/07 02:31 PM Re: baby scratching / itching
luckelizard Offline

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX, USA
i don't know if this is much help but when i was younger i was on atarax and i would get a moisturizing bath at night right before bed.. apply extra lotion.. and then my mom would put socks on my hands and tape the top of them up near the seam.. not to where the tape touched my skin but where the tape was only on the sock so i wouldn't be able to take off the sock in my sleep.. that is just what i would do.. and she would get up in the middle of the night and apply lotion again while i was sleeping. i hope this helps in some way.. keep us posted

#13747 - 04/01/07 02:52 PM Re: baby scratching / itching
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
My daughter has Netherton's syndrome, and she's 18 months old, and we have a similar problem. When her skin seems really dry, I'll give her a bath before bed (as well as a bath in the morning) - her skin seems to absorb the creams better when it's been wet first. We also give her Attarax at night (oral, prescription anti-itch medicine, similar to Benedryl I think), which helps but it knocks her out lol So it's not so great for during the day.

#13748 - 04/01/07 02:54 PM Re: baby scratching / itching
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Another thing to try is one-piece zippered jammies with feet, so only the face is exposed.

Try using a cuticle nipper instead of the baby nail clippers to get the nails down past the tip of the finger, then gently file the edges so they aren't razor sharp.

The bath at night and the hand covers definitely help, too.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#13749 - 04/02/07 02:16 PM Re: baby scratching / itching
Lizzie Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Conor,

Congratulations on the new baby. As you can see I am also from ireland,ennis to be exact. My son David 20mths has ichthyosis also. Maybe CIE maybe harlequins they are not too sure yet.
Anyhow we just used to use mittens on David when he was younger, at the moment we coat his scalp [main area that is irritated] in olive oil in the bath and massage it in really well, it seems to work well.
Anyhow if I can help in anyway please email me elizabeth.falconer@daa.ie or alternatively if you log onto ichthyosis.org.uk you'll get the contact name of the irish area rep.

Take care,
Lizzie

[This message has been edited by Lizzie (edited April 02, 2007).]

#13750 - 04/02/07 08:07 PM Re: baby scratching / itching
Curtise Offline

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Hi, my daughter Nina is 15 months and has EHK. There's a company which makes cotton sleepsuits with mittens in, if that might help. They were originally designed for kids with excema, but obviously would work well for any sensitive/itchy skin problems. The website is http://www.excemaclothing.com/

#13751 - 04/02/07 10:06 PM Re: baby scratching / itching
Conor Offline

Thanks to all who replied to my query. We will try out some of these options and post results.
Best of luck
Conor

#13752 - 04/08/07 02:26 AM Re: baby scratching / itching
jessip Offline

Loc: Malta, NY, USA
Try putting vaseline on while your baby is the tub. Even put it on the parts of your child that is under water as it will lock in the moisture. My son's allergenist recommended this and it really works. Don't use lotions/bath items or any item with fragrance, Also beware of formaldehyde (one example is: quaternium-15) which is in items like Johnson's Baby Shampoo and some Huggies baby wipes. This is very drying.

#13753 - 04/15/07 08:50 PM Re: baby scratching / itching
momof3 Offline

Loc: SJ, CA USA
Hi Conor,

We have a 2 year old son who remains undiagnosed, but has symptoms like Netherton syndrome. His itching really picks up at night as well. We've found that bathing him right before bed, moisturizing him with Aquaphor, and keeping his room temperature cooler really helps tremendously. Also, we only use 100% cotton sheets (most decorative crib sheets are made out of 100% polyester, so be sure to check the tag). He's taken Hydroxizine (Atarax) and Benadryl, neither of which do that much for him, but of them Hydroxizine works better. He currently takes Clarinex in the morning and Singulair before bedtime for his hayfever allergies, so these may be helping him, too. We noticed that Dane's itching is often caused by little skin infections he's picked up, so treating these with an antibiotic cream and an oral antibiotic gives him almost instant relief.

I hope this helps a bit. Hang in there.

#13754 - 04/15/07 09:04 PM Re: baby scratching / itching
Conor Offline

Hi SJ, thanks for your advice.
I am puzzled by one thing in your message. You note that your child is undiagnosed. We have had only visual diagnosis from our dermatologist and are hanging all our hopes on a biopsy to be performed to confirm if he has IV or not. Have you had this done & if so, is it an inconclusive test ?
Also the products you note don't seem to be available in Ireland, we use Oilatum for his baths, a 10% Urea cream called Ureadin, & soft paraffin gel. We also are currently wet-wrapping Jack twice a day as per derm's orders. None of the above seems to do a lot for the itch. We also give him a liquid antihistamine called IVallergan but only if the itching gets really bad.
Best of luck with your fella.

------------------
Conor
Ireland

#13755 - 04/15/07 11:37 PM Re: baby scratching / itching
momof3 Offline

Loc: SJ, CA USA
Hi again,

Dane took a DNA test for NS, but tested negative. We were told that not all of the mutations have been found yet for this syndrome, so there's still @20% chance he has it. I haven't spoken to anyone yet who hasn't tested positive for it who has it, but Dane has so many similarities to NS, that dermatologists can't really match him to any other form of ichthyosis. One of his early skin biopsies just mentioned psoriaform changes of the skin, and mentioned multiple forms of dermatitis, but it was rather inconclusive. This may not be true for diagnosing IV.

The medications I mentioned for itching were prescription medications (not over the counter), so maybe what you're using is a similar product. You might ask your doctor about broader spectrum antihistamines if your son has hayfever type allergies as well.

I wish you the best of luck with your son. Don't lose hope for finding a diagnosis. A skin biopsy may be more telling for IV than for what we're looking for.
Take care.

Quote:
Originally posted by Conor:
Hi SJ, thanks for your advice.
I am puzzled by one thing in your message. You note that your child is undiagnosed. We have had only visual diagnosis from our dermatologist and are hanging all our hopes on a biopsy to be performed to confirm if he has IV or not. Have you had this done & if so, is it an inconclusive test ?
Also the products you note don't seem to be available in Ireland, we use Oilatum for his baths, a 10% Urea cream called Ureadin, & soft paraffin gel. We also are currently wet-wrapping Jack twice a day as per derm's orders. None of the above seems to do a lot for the itch. We also give him a liquid antihistamine called IVallergan but only if the itching gets really bad.
Best of luck with your fella.

#13756 - 04/16/07 09:51 AM Re: baby scratching / itching
victoria Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Hi Connor,
My 2 year old son Kian has x linked ichthyosis, he was visually diagnosed as having ichthyosis vulgaris until I kind of made a self diagnosis on him from information and pictures of the internet and asked for a more conclusive test to be done - with which x linked came back.

Night times are always the worse for itching for them and when Kian was younger he hardly used to sleep at night and would scratch himself raw given the chance ! - I am pretty useless for suggestions how to stop it completely because its something I personally never suceeded on with him BUT you could try a bath and creaming straight before bed along with the wet wrapping.

The creams I am using for Kian at the moment chop and change a lot but we always use eucerin or oilatum plus for his bath and capasal or eucerin dry scalp relief shampoo with 5% urea for shampoo.
On top of those we use diprobase and a whole host of other eucerin products during the day.

All that so far seems to have stopped him itching at night and he is also sleeping - its been a long 2 years ROFL !!! but he is so worth it [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] I wont say this is down to the creams he is having though as I honestly dont know if it is that or age....

#13757 - 04/23/07 07:21 AM Re: baby scratching / itching
Leandra Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Our 21-month-old Natalie is quite itchy all day long with heightened problems at night. The best relief we have found for her has been AmLactin AP followed by Aquaphor Healing just before bed as well as a dose of either Benadryl or Atarax ("super-Benadryl"). I always keep her nails clipped (about every 4-5 days) and put her in a Carters microfleece 100% cotton zipper at night which tends to seal in the moisture well. She is still able to reach in through the back of the neck down to the upper back and scratch the dickens out of herself, however. She also tends to sleep better without as much scratching when we keep the room a bit cooler (around 68.7...at around 70 the scratching is consistently more pronounced. She also fares better when the humidity in her room is at least 45% to 50%. Here in Colorado that is not easy to achieve, however.

During the day we use a prescribed compound of 10% Urea in Aquaphor (a pharmacist at Dermal Therapy told me that urea helps with itch) to keep her as moist as possible. I really don't like using Aquaphor other than morning and before bed because it gets grease in her hair and clothes, but I can't seem to find anything else with the staying power to keep her moist enough without almost constant lotions. We have also used Mimyx cream as well as Sarna-P with limited results. Every so often we'll break out the hydrocortisone 1%, but I don't like using steroids on her for any length of time. We have recently started trying Verdeso foam .05% corticosteroid but haven't been using it long enough to be able to tell if she's getting any relief from it.

As for the night baths, Natalie does seem to go down much more comfortably; however, she dries out so much faster and needs a re-application of Aquaphor an hour or so later if she is to avoid waking up really itchy. If we do night baths, we also do a morning bath as well because Natalie just looks and feels so much better during the day when she's had a more recent bath.

I know that a lot of folks on the board have spoken very well of sea salt or dead sea salt in the baths (didn't seem to do much for us except that it does make the water nice and soft) as well as Aveeno Oatmeal baths and other Aveeno products that help with itching. We can't use these as Natalie seems to be allergic to topical oatmeal. Might be worth a try for your sweetie, though! :-)

Leandra

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information