Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#13745 - 04/01/07 02:08 PM baby scratching / itching
Conor Offline

Loc: Westport, Co. Mayo, Ireland
Hi,
Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with itching/scratching at night ?
We have a 5 month old boy with probable IV (no final diagnosis yet) and he doesn't seem to scratch much in the day but when we put him to bed at night he seems to go crazy and tear himself to bits in his sleep.
We are using cloth hand covers already and keeping his nails as short as we can. I reckon this must be a common problem with the dryness associated with IV so if anyone can help that would be great.
Conor, Ireland.

------------------
Conor

#13746 - 04/01/07 02:31 PM Re: baby scratching / itching
luckelizard Offline

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX, USA
i don't know if this is much help but when i was younger i was on atarax and i would get a moisturizing bath at night right before bed.. apply extra lotion.. and then my mom would put socks on my hands and tape the top of them up near the seam.. not to where the tape touched my skin but where the tape was only on the sock so i wouldn't be able to take off the sock in my sleep.. that is just what i would do.. and she would get up in the middle of the night and apply lotion again while i was sleeping. i hope this helps in some way.. keep us posted

#13747 - 04/01/07 02:52 PM Re: baby scratching / itching
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
My daughter has Netherton's syndrome, and she's 18 months old, and we have a similar problem. When her skin seems really dry, I'll give her a bath before bed (as well as a bath in the morning) - her skin seems to absorb the creams better when it's been wet first. We also give her Attarax at night (oral, prescription anti-itch medicine, similar to Benedryl I think), which helps but it knocks her out lol So it's not so great for during the day.

#13748 - 04/01/07 02:54 PM Re: baby scratching / itching
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Another thing to try is one-piece zippered jammies with feet, so only the face is exposed.

Try using a cuticle nipper instead of the baby nail clippers to get the nails down past the tip of the finger, then gently file the edges so they aren't razor sharp.

The bath at night and the hand covers definitely help, too.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#13749 - 04/02/07 02:16 PM Re: baby scratching / itching
Lizzie Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Conor,

Congratulations on the new baby. As you can see I am also from ireland,ennis to be exact. My son David 20mths has ichthyosis also. Maybe CIE maybe harlequins they are not too sure yet.
Anyhow we just used to use mittens on David when he was younger, at the moment we coat his scalp [main area that is irritated] in olive oil in the bath and massage it in really well, it seems to work well.
Anyhow if I can help in anyway please email me elizabeth.falconer@daa.ie or alternatively if you log onto ichthyosis.org.uk you'll get the contact name of the irish area rep.

Take care,
Lizzie

[This message has been edited by Lizzie (edited April 02, 2007).]

#13750 - 04/02/07 08:07 PM Re: baby scratching / itching
Curtise Offline

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Hi, my daughter Nina is 15 months and has EHK. There's a company which makes cotton sleepsuits with mittens in, if that might help. They were originally designed for kids with excema, but obviously would work well for any sensitive/itchy skin problems. The website is http://www.excemaclothing.com/

#13751 - 04/02/07 10:06 PM Re: baby scratching / itching
Conor Offline

Thanks to all who replied to my query. We will try out some of these options and post results.
Best of luck
Conor

#13752 - 04/08/07 02:26 AM Re: baby scratching / itching
jessip Offline

Loc: Malta, NY, USA
Try putting vaseline on while your baby is the tub. Even put it on the parts of your child that is under water as it will lock in the moisture. My son's allergenist recommended this and it really works. Don't use lotions/bath items or any item with fragrance, Also beware of formaldehyde (one example is: quaternium-15) which is in items like Johnson's Baby Shampoo and some Huggies baby wipes. This is very drying.

#13753 - 04/15/07 08:50 PM Re: baby scratching / itching
momof3 Offline

Loc: SJ, CA USA
Hi Conor,

We have a 2 year old son who remains undiagnosed, but has symptoms like Netherton syndrome. His itching really picks up at night as well. We've found that bathing him right before bed, moisturizing him with Aquaphor, and keeping his room temperature cooler really helps tremendously. Also, we only use 100% cotton sheets (most decorative crib sheets are made out of 100% polyester, so be sure to check the tag). He's taken Hydroxizine (Atarax) and Benadryl, neither of which do that much for him, but of them Hydroxizine works better. He currently takes Clarinex in the morning and Singulair before bedtime for his hayfever allergies, so these may be helping him, too. We noticed that Dane's itching is often caused by little skin infections he's picked up, so treating these with an antibiotic cream and an oral antibiotic gives him almost instant relief.

I hope this helps a bit. Hang in there.

#13754 - 04/15/07 09:04 PM Re: baby scratching / itching
Conor Offline

Hi SJ, thanks for your advice.
I am puzzled by one thing in your message. You note that your child is undiagnosed. We have had only visual diagnosis from our dermatologist and are hanging all our hopes on a biopsy to be performed to confirm if he has IV or not. Have you had this done & if so, is it an inconclusive test ?
Also the products you note don't seem to be available in Ireland, we use Oilatum for his baths, a 10% Urea cream called Ureadin, & soft paraffin gel. We also are currently wet-wrapping Jack twice a day as per derm's orders. None of the above seems to do a lot for the itch. We also give him a liquid antihistamine called IVallergan but only if the itching gets really bad.
Best of luck with your fella.

------------------
Conor
Ireland

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information