Topic Options
#13718 - 03/29/07 12:50 AM Fever -- HELP!!!
sideshowbob Offline

Loc: Midwest, USA
Our daughter (age 2, LI) has been looking red and flaky for two days. Last night she had a low grade fever (100) and tonight it spiked to 102. She is beet red, despite all attempts to cool her down, and her skin is just flaking off. I can't get her to drink much, and she won't eat (no diarrhea or vomiting, thank god). When do I freak out? I know all kids get fevers, but OUR kids are so different... Do I need to get her to the hospital for rehydration?

Ack!

Thanks

#13719 - 03/29/07 01:00 AM Re: Fever -- HELP!!!
jds Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Oue ped said to use a medicine syringe and give gatoride or pedialyte every 20 minutes as many droppers full as she will allow. He told us the temperature of a fever is not as important as how a child is acting. 99 but lathargic and somewhat unresponsive is more severe than 103 and alert and running around. He also said that eating wasn't really important at all that drinking should be the main priority. He said that appetite is the first thing usually to go and the first thing to return. Keeping her hydrated and misted with water and a fan my work. It would mimic sweating and cool in a simialr way I would think. Pedialyte makes some fairly nasty popcicles. My boys will eat at least about half if one. Hope this helps in some way.

------------------
Tammy (caregiver)
1 year old son- lamellar ichthyosis
lamellar ichthyosis

#13720 - 03/29/07 02:18 AM Re: Fever -- HELP!!!
Angel24755 Offline

Loc: PA
Our little ones ALWAYS get red and flaky when they get sick. Cade gets a fever every single time he gets sick and turns red red red with even the lowest fever. I don't worry about them unless their temp gets to 104 or they start acting very different. Leah once got to 105 because she had a fever and was taking a nap in fleece pj's under a fleece blanket. I took her outside (it was this past winter) and she cooled down to 103 which was good enough for me. The most important things are to keep her in cool clothes, if she gets under a blanket make sure it's a light weight blanket, and give her plenty to drink. Any fluid is better than no fluid...give her whatever she loves. You can try cool cups or special straws. I always keep twisty straws in the house that only get used when the kids are sick...it's like a treat for them to have that cool straw and it gets them to drink a little more. Popsicles are good too. Keep in mind that 102 in her and 102 in a "normal" child is the same...the rate at which her temperature will go up can be faster than what another child's body might do but the temperature is the same and won't affect her any differently. My husband likes to put warm clothes on and get under a warm blanket to "sweat it out" when he's sick...obviously that would not be possible with our little ones. If you keep her in cool clothes and keep an eye on her temperature she should be just fine.
Lisa

[This message has been edited by Angel24755 (edited March 28, 2007).]

#13721 - 03/31/07 10:39 PM Re: Fever -- HELP!!!
sideshowbob Offline

Loc: Midwest, USA
Thanks so much for everyone's advice. It only took two moms, two doctors, a nurse, and my mother to convince me A would be ok.

I had reason to worry, though. Here is what she looked like last Sunday: http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/Sideshowbob_01/DSCF0004.jpg
and what she looked like Friday: http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/Sideshowbob_01/DSCF0014.jpg

Diagnosis was Type B flu, and an ear infection. She is on an antibiotic for the ear infection and to prevent a secondary skin infection, and is markedly improved today.

Thanks again for all your support.

#13722 - 04/01/07 01:37 AM Re: Fever -- HELP!!!
luckelizard Offline

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX, USA
she is a very beautiful little girl.. i can fully understand why you would freak out.. both my kids are normal and i still freak out... so we can just be a pair of freaky parents...lol you can tell she isnt feeling well though... i hope she gets to feeling better soon...keep us posted...

#13723 - 04/01/07 03:19 AM Re: Fever -- HELP!!!
Angel24755 Offline

Loc: PA
She's adorable! I don't know if it will make you feel any better but Cade gets about 5x redder than that when he's sick and his skin does about the same thing. Leah doesn't get quite as red as Cade does (she still gets pretty red) but she also peels like that when she's sick. I guess I'm just used to it at this point. As much as I hate to tell you, she will probably do that every time she gets sick and you will get used to it just like I have. I avoid sick people as much as possible and we still ask people to wash their hands when they come into our home. It's no fun...no fun at all. But, at least when you've been through it, you know what to expect and you know she will be back to normal again. I remember the first time Cade got sick and I woke up to his skin peeling off head to toe. I totally freaked. I had no idea what was going on. He was totally fine when I put him to bed and in the morning he was red and covered in peeling skin. We spent three hours in the bath tub that morning trying to get all of that skin off of him. Very scary the first time! Hugs to you! I hope she's feeling better now!
Lisa

#13724 - 04/01/07 03:55 AM Re: Fever -- HELP!!!
jds Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I just wanted to say that you have a beautiful little girl!! Hope all is well in now.

------------------
Tammy (caregiver)
1 year old son- lamellar ichthyosis
lamellar ichthyosis

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information