Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#13655 - 03/18/07 03:29 AM Re: Julia's first allergy!! :(
luckelizard Offline

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX, USA
well me (who has ehk) and both my kids who are unaffected all are allergic to milk and wheat.. grocery shopping has gotten really difficult. While my children were infants they were put on soy milk.. we are still supposed to be but its too expensive... so we manage on lower doses and watered down milk.. yum.. not really.. well i was wondering if it has to do with the ichthyosis or not.. and if my kids are not affected by ichthyosis then why are they allergic to milk and wheat? just curious.. thank you

#13656 - 03/18/07 11:37 AM Re: Julia's first allergy!! :(
swebblie Offline

Loc: Wollongong, Australia
My brother who has x-linked is also allergic to milk. He is also allergic to soy. So he had goats milk as a baby. When he has cows milk his tongue will peel, it is a very strange sight.
I am pretty sure that I am lactose intolerant. It makes me feel so sick when I drink it. And I can't stand the smell of milk. I can't tell when milk is off because it always smells so bad to me.

Isn't it strange that so many of us are affected.

Sarah

#13657 - 03/18/07 03:16 PM Re: Julia's first allergy!! :(
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
That is odd! I wonder if there's a link. I have no idea where it would be though lol

Luckily the soy test turned up fine for her, so I guess that's what we're going to be pursuing. I'm trying to get her ped. to give us a prescription for an additive called Duocal, it's something like 40-60 calories/tbspn, and you can add it to anything. So if I add it to all of her solids, it might make an impact on how many cans of Pediasure she needs to take a day. We bought soy milk for her also, but it's only 80 calories/8oz., but if we added the Duocal, that'd make it 140 calories! I'm also trying to get her a prescription for an appetiite increaser (something like Megace or Periactin).

#13658 - 03/20/07 01:18 AM Re: Julia's first allergy!! :(
atwoodclan Offline

Loc: TX USA
Nathan my 8 year old non-ich child has a severe milk allergy. His lips swell & esphogus closes.
Her throat and esphogus will get raw from throwing up. It sounds like a milk protein
intolerance which means her body can't tolerate or digest the protein enzyme in milk

There are soy based drinks like the Pediasure.

I will research and post the name of it for you.

Allergies stink [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/frown.gif[/img] We have them on both sides so my kids are in the same boat.

Michelle

[This message has been edited by atwoodclan (edited March 19, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by atwoodclan (edited March 19, 2007).]

#13659 - 03/20/07 01:56 AM Re: Julia's first allergy!! :(
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
Thanks! That'd be fantastic if you know of something similar to Pediasure. You'd think they'd make a milk-free form, milk allergies are sort of common!

#13660 - 03/24/07 01:37 AM Re: Julia's first allergy!! :(
atwoodclan Offline

Loc: TX USA
Sorry for the late post.

Here is one I found.
http://www.brightbeginnings.com/products/soy-pediatric-drink.asp

There is more [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Let me know if you need more.

Michelle

#13661 - 04/08/07 02:53 AM Re: Julia's first allergy!! :(
jessip Offline

Loc: Malta, NY, USA
My son has ichthyosis & eczema and a milk allergy too. There must be a link.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information