Topic Options
#13575 - 02/28/07 03:09 PM Holibags
Lizzie Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi all,

I know I've not posted in quite awhile but I have been reading and keeping up to date with all the goings on. Congratulations to all the expectant mums and the upcoming brides to be.

I hoping some of you can help me out. We are travelling to Atlanta in 2 weeks time to visit my sister for a week.

Any tips on how to handle the 8 hour flight and the creaming etc on board.

Also if anyone lives in that area can you provide me with the names of derms & hospitals in case anything goes wrong.

Also I have been keeping an eye on weather.com for Atlanta and it seems relatively mild there at the mo 17 degrees celsius, does that sound about right?

My sister has hired some sort of minivan for the week there will be 8 of us in total and has hired a car seat. They told her it was just a toddler seat. This may sound silly but I take it in america a toddler seat is a forward facing baby seat would that be right?

Anyone going to the UK national day on the 24.03.07? We'll just be back from Atlanta so I'm not sure if David will be up for it if not I'll be there on my own. Look forward to seeing you there!

Thanks for your help!

[This message has been edited by Lizzie (edited February 28, 2007).]

#13576 - 02/28/07 04:29 PM Re: Holibags
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
You can carry 3 of cream onboard with you unquestioned. Or multiple 3oz containers.

Hubby traveled a few weeks ago and had a 12oz Jergens bottle in his pants pocket, which he forgot about. It went through security unquestioned, although he did have to pitch one on an earlier trip.

If water is an issue, I'd suggest getting a doctor's prescription for your special needs and carry it with you. Otherwise, you can let the airline attendants know upfront that you will need water more than average due to medical needs.

I don't know anything about the Atlanta area except for the conference last year. It is very mild this time of year - sort of like a spring or fall day in more northern areas.

When you rent a carseat in a rental car, don't be shocked if it is a total piece of s***. I made that mistake once, and have travelled with my own carseats ever since. Yes, they are forward-facing only, so only good if your child is over a year. The car rental place will not install it for you - they make you do it yourself so they aren't liable if something happens. And they don't install well. The cars are usually new and have LATCH hooks, but the carseats, in my experience, are usually older and the cheapest ones on the market.

Jennifer
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#13577 - 02/28/07 08:40 PM Re: Holibags
graciesmom Offline

Loc: orange park, florida,usa
Hello, my parents live in Atlanta and the weather is very nice right now. I spoke to my mom the other day and it's been in the mid to high 60's, low 70's. There is a derm. who specializes in ichthyosis that I take my daughter to in Atlanta. Her name is Dr. Mary Spraker and she is wonderful. She is located at the Emory clinic in downtown Atlanta. If you need her number, let me know. Hope you have a great trip to Atlanta. Jennifer

#13578 - 03/01/07 03:55 AM Re: Holibags
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
You could always flip the carseat around yourself, it literally only takes 5 minutes or so. The LATCH system is easy. Jules is in a toddler seat, but we still have it rear-facing.

I only know the Atlanta area b/c of the FIRST conference, so I'm not much help! lol We've flown with creams a bunch of times, and it was never an issue, just gave it to the security people at the checkpoint. Once they gave me a problem, and I was like "Do I look like a terrorist? Look at my daughter's skin, it's obvious I need the creams for her" lol I was a little irked.

#13579 - 03/01/07 04:13 AM Re: Holibags
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Some carseats cannot be turned backwards, though. It really depends on what type they have.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#13580 - 03/02/07 11:52 AM Re: Holibags
Lizzie Offline

Loc: Ireland
Thanks for all the advice.
We've actually decided to bring our own carseat. Delta will not charge for any baby equipment so for peace of mind we might as well. Although the latch system might not allow our seat. Roughly how much does a car seat cost in the states? I'd need something that reclines and is farely wides, david's get quite chunky!!

I have just been up to Delta and asked all the questions they were so good about it. Creams not an issue once they have a perscription label, access to water etc all the time not an issue either. My sis booked us business class and I was worried that David might disrupt people trying to work, but the girl up at the desk said there was no way we should change back to economy and not to worry about the noise level etc.

Thanks a million for Dr Spraker's name Jennifer. Any chance I could get the details in case we have an emergency?

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information