Topic Options
#13513 - 02/19/07 05:15 PM Solid Foods
atwoodclan Offline

Loc: TX USA
Just need some insight to the diaper area when you started solid foods.

Alex is 5 1/2 mos(he is mostly breastfeed? EBM-He gets a bottle of Alimetum at bed time) . We have done rice cereal which caused no reaction. Next did Sweet Potatoes.
His diaper area and his skin in this area turned orange and he having more BM.
Stopped the sweet potatoes and went to applesauce. His diaper area skin became bright red and peeled(it hasn't done this since he shed his collodion membrane).
I have decided to stop all baby food until I figure out what it going on.
We have food allergies in our family so I know the symptoms of this. I feel his digestive tract is not ready yet even for the foods that cause the least reaction.
I tried oatmeal last night and am waiting to see what happens.
All the foods have been tried a week apart even though the ped dr said 3-4 days.

So I am keeping with the rice ceral only once a day.
Anyone else baby/kids have a skin reaction from food. I change his BMs immediately.
It is like his skin can take the new foods. It just affects his bottom area. I also switched to a bigger diaper. We can only use Pampers swaddlers/cruisers because he gets the same type of rash from any other diaper.

Sorry for the book. Just trying to get some info from all of you.

Michelle

[This message has been edited by atwoodclan (edited February 19, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by atwoodclan (edited February 19, 2007).]

#13514 - 02/19/07 09:59 PM Re: Solid Foods
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
The orange is normal. Baby poops come in an amazing array of colors because their digestive tract is immature and doesn't digest everything. Carrots and sweet potatoes make things orange, and stain the skin. Blueberries are the best - you get green poop from that! Not to mention purple gatorade or grape pedialyte.

The acidity of the fruit can aggravate the skin. It doesn't necessarily mean that there's an allergy, but the extra sugar in fruits can exacerbate the problem because of the large amount of sugar tends to make bacteria and yeast grow (and therefore be excreted) so it can aggravate the skin. Yeast looks like a pimply rash, and bacteria or acidity is just general redness.

The best thing to do is to coat the bum at every diaper change with a diaper rash preventing cream. I like Maalox+aquaphor+antifungal cream mixed in even parts because you get the protection of the aquaphor, the acid reduction from the Maalox and yeast prevention from the antifungal.

Most food allergies show up in a rash elsewhere on the body, as diarrhea, or as a fever or respiratory problems. Redness around the bum isn't a usual allergy signal.

[This message has been edited by Hearsay (edited February 19, 2007).]
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#13515 - 02/20/07 12:36 AM Re: Solid Foods
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
We've yet to find a food allergy in Julia, which I'm actually surprised at - I have a LOT of food allergies, and NS is prone to allergies in general. Wish I could help you on the reaction part. Jules seems a bit irritable when I give her certain fruits (mainly the ones that are high in citrus), so I've been avoiding them - it gives me hives when I handle them anyway lol So better for me to avoid that, too.

A lot of docs actually say to skip the cereals, there's some research out there that says it's linked to gluten allergies, or a condition called...celia? No, that's not right...some condition where you can't tolerate wheat and bread and stuff, and the condition starts with a "c".

For Julia's diaper area, I've noticed a big difference when we switched from BFing to formula-feeding (she self-weaned at 10 months due to the NG). She's definately more irritable now in that area than she was when we were nursing. Though Allimentum's pretty elemental, so it shouldn't make too great a difference.

#13516 - 02/20/07 12:37 AM Re: Solid Foods
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
Oh duh - what I was meaning to type in my first post lol...

We usually air her out at every diaper change - I'll wash her off with usually just a washcloth and water (can't find any baby wipes that don't irritate her), and then her skin air-dry for 10-15 minutes, and THEN put the diaper cream (we use A+D) and diaper on. Doing that's made a pretty significant difference in how irritated she is.

#13517 - 02/20/07 02:32 AM Re: Solid Foods
Chrissie Offline

Loc: The Gap, Brisbane, Qld Austral...
I found that introducing solids and interesting time. I was brought up in the time where prepared cereals were given and then soft banana. My children didn't respond well to banana, I wouldn't say allergic in any way....I feel they are not easy to digest. I moved to avocado. It was easily accepted by the children.

Rashes on their bottom was usually due to teething. Airing the area as much as possible was the best help along with creams for protection.

My children did not have ichthyosis but my granddaughter has and my daughter did the same feeding regime as me.
Hope this helps
Regards
Chrissie

#13518 - 02/20/07 02:55 AM Re: Solid Foods
threerxli Offline

Loc: virginia
I m completely agreeing with Hearsay, she wrote exactly what I woud have written. Plus, the baby still only needs breast milk and maybe the rice cereal(if Iron is needed) for awhile yet. Stick with the two and wait awhile and then reintroduce the new foods in a few weeks. Try less acidic fruits like pear, banana, or veggies like peas. That may help. As long as baby is gaining weight well from the breast milk and iron counts are fine, I wouldnt worry about waiting a little longer introducing foods.

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information