Topic Options
#13442 - 02/06/07 01:45 PM Winter has arrived
jrmiss86 Offline

Loc: Marlton, NJ, USA
I guess I should be greatful that winter didn't really get here until February but at the same time I still feel bad that Alex is having so much trouble with his skin right now. Last night he spent over an hour in the bath and then I put enough lotion on him that he felt like a greased pig when I was done, and when he woke up this morning his poor skin was dry as a bone, and he was saying in this poor pitiful voice "itchy, itchy mommy" my heart broke. So I plopped him back in the tub this morning and greased him up again before I got him dressed.

Is there anything out there that you have found works topically for itchy skin. If it were just small parts of his body I would use hydrocortizone but it is his whole body that is bothering him. He already takes clarinex once a day and I hate to give him benadryl because it makes him so drowsy and loopy during the day.

oh yea, currently I have been using Aveeno Baby soothing relief cream and wash, and now that he is itching I have been using the soothing oatmaeal bath by Aveeno Baby also.

Thanks

Heather
Liz (3/16/07)

#13443 - 02/06/07 06:35 PM Re: Winter has arrived
NESSAS MOMMY Offline

Loc: NY
Hello, I have found that the aveeno has made Vanessa more itchy. Not sure why. We use aterax at nite. Its a med like benadryl. People say it makes there kids sleppy....not nessa..lol but I know how you feel. Vanessa always saying mommy itchy. mostly at nite. I feel horriable that she can never sleep peacefully. Have you tryed the Euricin calming cream? not as greasy. Im not sure anything works 100%. I just wish there was a way to make them more comfortable. How old is your lil one?

#13444 - 02/06/07 07:02 PM Re: Winter has arrived
jrmiss86 Offline

Alex is two years old. We have loved the Aveeno Baby, it really works wonders on his skin, even today when I bathed him this morning and put more lotion on he stopped complaining about itching. I guess I just felt bad about how he felt. I love that he is getting more verbal because he can tell me what is bothering him like he did this morning. He has his two year appt. at the dr's. tomorrow so I am going to talk to him about it then. In the meantime I gave him his clarinex this morning instead of at night and I am going to give him the benadryl tonight. If he continues to have problems I am going to ask the dr. about the atrax.

Thanks for the advice

Heather
Liz (3/16/07)

#13445 - 02/06/07 09:12 PM Re: Winter has arrived
skittles71 Offline

Loc: Catawba North carolina
Aterax is a life savor for my 2 boys.Ok you guys have me woundering about something.You say you give Alex 2 baths a day ? Well after all these 15 yrs ive always been told not to give no more then 2 baths a week because it will dry there skin up more.So ive always just made them take 2 baths a week and then I make then have a sits bath every other day.So is giving a child a bath with ichthyosis 2 times a day a right thing ? Im I doing wrong after all these 15yrs ? This is something new to me with the baths and I would like to have a few opions.Thanks alot

#13446 - 02/06/07 09:25 PM Re: Winter has arrived
Angel24755 Offline

Loc: PA
I think the bath issue is different for every child. We only do a couple of baths a week because more than that dries them out. Some kids do better with more...others do better with less. I guess it's a mater of experimentation.
Lisa

#13447 - 02/06/07 11:05 PM Re: Winter has arrived
Promiseland_dup1 Offline

Great point, everyone.

Frequent baths should only happen for those with the types of ich whereby long immersion in water is needed for exfoliation.

For other types, water will dry out the skin even more.

For X-linked and severe Vulgaris, minimal exposure to water is best most of the time.

#13448 - 02/07/07 12:02 AM Re: Winter has arrived
swebblie Offline

Loc: Wollongong, Australia
With my son Tobias (xli), we only give minimal baths, two or three times a week with QV bath oil. He also has quick showers if he is really messy and had a bath the day before. This was suggested by his derm and it seems to work for him. We tried giving him baths twice a day, but it made his skin worse.
All kids are different, so you just have to try different things until you find something that works for you.

Sarah.

#13449 - 02/07/07 12:02 AM Re: Winter has arrived
Angel24755 Offline

Loc: PA
Actually, my kids have Lamellar and they still only get a couple of baths a week. While they need a good soak to exfoliate, too many baths do too much damage for my children. We do well with a couple of baths a week and only exfoliating that often. Many others with Lamellar need at least one bath a day if not more. Like I said...regardless of what type you have, everyone's different and responds well to different things.
Lisa

#13450 - 02/07/07 12:45 AM Re: Winter has arrived
jrmiss86 Offline

I was hesitant about the extra baths at first for all the reasons everyone said, it should dry out his skin more, but for some reason with Alex it help termendously, but only if I put lotion on right after his bath. If I do not put the lotion on than his skin is worse then before. For us it is really more a matter of opening is pores with the warm water to let the lotion soak in better. I have found that if I try to put lotion on him without first giving him a bath it does little or no good. It works for us so I hate to mess with what works, it took us a year and a half to figure it out and get it right.

Alex did much better with the itching today, I guess the clarinex in the morning is helping. Thanks for all the advice.

Heather
Liz (3/16/07)

#13451 - 02/07/07 01:40 AM Re: Winter has arrived
JoshsMummy Offline

Loc: QLD Australia
Can i just add that the only generalisation that applies in the world of Ichthyosis, is 'different strokes for different folks'.

There can be a HUGE difference in the way Ichthyosis manifests within the same diagnosis, in some instances, even within the same family! Therefore the effectiveness of treatments can also vary quite a lot.

Itching is also a big problem for my son. In my experience the oatmeal creams are not enough on their own as far as moisturising goes, i use them purely to soothe the itching. As far as the oatmeal bath is concerned you can save yourself a lot of money by blending up oats to a fine powder. Again, i can only speak from my experience, but the commercial products are expensive here & straight oats work just as well. The oats are also a natural cleanser so you dont have to add anything else which may irritate the skin.

Given the dryness winter brings you may find a humidifier helpful.

I wish you all the best of luck in finding something to bring your son some relief. I know how distressing it is to watch your children suffer.

Try not to feel bad, you are doing the best you can for your little man. Although i am one to talk, i often jump on the 'mothers guilt merry-go-round'.. so i understand how you feel. feel free to email me if you like heather, my address is kandice.josh@bigpond.com

:-)

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information