Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#13232 - 02/10/07 12:55 PM Re: delivery and ichthyosis- HELP!!!!!!
mymegan Offline

Loc: Pleasant Grove, UT, USA
My ex- and I ran to the hospital about 8 weeks early, because something didn't feel right.

When the nurse checked her, she was at 3cm... 20 minutes later, when the doctor checked her, she was at 7cm.

My daughter was coming breach, so he ordered a c-section.

No one at the hospital, particularly the labor and delivery crew, had ever seen a baby with ichthyosis... the doctor had the nerve to 'warn us' that our baby was probably mentally retarded. I assured my wife that our daughter was brilliant. Sure enough, Megan really is brilliant... very brilliant.

All in all... nothing is going to prepare you for what is in store. I was a Marine and saw a lot of really messed up things. There were a dozen or so times, I have had a gun pointed directly at my head, just a couple feet away, or been shot at. Oddly that didn't have much of an affect on me... but when I saw my precious little girl in the NICU, getting a shot in her leg, screaming(though no sound came out, as she had the tube in her throat), I almost collapsed. I had to walk away, because I came very close to decking the individual administering the shot.

Then as the skin broke, I have never felt so helpless.

I can't speak from the motherly perspective, but from what I do understand, the delivery isn't the difficult part. Let the doctor do his/her thing, in that dept. And get ready to love beyond anything you have ever understood. My daughter is four and a half... and even though she knows that when I pretend to jump up to the moon, to get her some cheese, she knows I got it from the refridgerator, but she still likes watching me jump up... people say my little girl looks at me like I hang the moon... they have it backwards... she hangs the moon, and I couldn't be more grateful.

#13233 - 02/10/07 05:56 PM Re: delivery and ichthyosis- HELP!!!!!!
threerxli Offline

Loc: virginia
STS deficiency slows the delivery of an infant because of insufficient cervical dilation. A relative failure occurs in the response to intravenous oxytocin. Since both are indications for cesarean delivery or forceps delivery, an increased perinatal morbidity and mortality may occur.
STS deficiency slows the delivery of an infant because of insufficient cervical dilation. A relative failure occurs in the response to intravenous oxytocin. Since both are indications for cesarean delivery or forceps delivery, an increased perinatal morbidity and mortality may occur.
Medical/Legal Pitfalls:
Failure to reassure parents that this is not a problem for which abortion should be considered, since XLI is usually a relatively minor disorder
Failure to consider possible complications or problems related to prolonged labor or delayed delivery
THIS INFORMATION WAS TAKEN FROM THE eMEDICINE WEBSITE SEARCH X LINKED ICHTHYOSIS

#13234 - 02/11/07 03:20 AM Re: delivery and ichthyosis- HELP!!!!!!
Tonettepeterson Offline

Loc: MN
I come from a family of Icthyosis. I have Epidermalytic Hyperkeratosis. 2 years ago, I gave birth naturally to a son, who also has this condition. I started labor and started dilation, but needed to be induced due to his heart rate (he was also 5 weeks premature) Anyone out there with this, we have used Keri lotion mixed with mineral oil, and Aquaphor. There is nothing in these things that should "help" our condition, but they do work!!!
Tonette

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information