Topic Options
#13150 - 12/07/06 12:36 AM New Here- Immunizations Question
atwoodclan Offline

Loc: TX USA
Hi,

My name is Michelle and I have a 3 mos old Alex with CIE-nb. He also was born a collodian baby but now only has small white flakes.

He received the Hepatitis B shot in the hospital and had no reaction. I am worried about the DTaP as one of the side effects is skin rashes, redness of skin, etc.

Has anyone ever had their kids react badly to shots?

I will post a pic of Alex when I get a chance.
Thanks in advance,

Michelle

#13151 - 12/07/06 01:00 AM Re: New Here- Immunizations Question
Angel24755 Offline

Loc: PA
None of my kids have had any big reactions to shots. (I have three kids...my youngest two have Lamellar and both were Collodian babies...they are 4 and 2 years old.) Fevers are common, rashes are common with a few of the shots but really no big deal. All three of my kids have gotten a rash with the Chicken Pox vaccine but like I said, it's really not a big deal. Even if he does get a rash or redness of his skin, it won't trouble his Ichthyosis. Take Care and Welcome!
Lisa

[This message has been edited by Angel24755 (edited December 06, 2006).]

#13152 - 12/07/06 03:17 AM Re: New Here- Immunizations Question
sideshowbob Offline

Loc: Midwest, USA
Every single vaccine our daughter has gotten (she has LI) has caused a rash, usually within a week of the shot. I give her Tylenol before the shot, and she hasn't run a fever with any of them yet (knock wood). We haven't had any real problems with vaccines, just the rash!

#13153 - 12/07/06 01:36 PM Re: New Here- Immunizations Question
my3sons Offline

Loc: Gloucester City, NJ
My son with CIE did have a reaction but it was only at the site of the injection. It just was more red and swollen than usual. I contacted the dr and they said that is consistent with other children who have a reaction. It didn't seem to bother him at all unless we poked at it. BTW, he is 2 years old.

Gabby

#13154 - 12/07/06 03:11 PM Re: New Here- Immunizations Question
aylasmom Offline

Loc: Waterford ,MI
I have a 7 month old with CIE (we think, she was also born with collodion membrane, but hasn't been officially diagnosed yet), and she has never gotten a rash with her vaccines, but did get a little fever with her flu shot...I gave her tylenol, and it came right down. The benefits of the vaccines WAY out weigh the risk...welcome to the board!- Dawnn

#13155 - 12/08/06 08:13 PM Re: New Here- Immunizations Question
Laurensmom Offline

Loc: north billerica, massachusetts...
Hi and welcome,

My daughter Lauren had a reaction to the pertussis (the P in DTP) which resulted in what they referred to at the time as a "non-responsive state". She was difficult to arouse from sleep the night after the shot was given. We consulted with Allergy at the time whose recommendation was not to give her pertussis which is the vaccine for whopping cough but to instead have her receive the DT follow-up shots. Now that whooping cough is back on the scene, her doctors are considering giving her the pertussis in a smaller dose so that she is better protected from whooping cough. So... its back to allergy for another consult and they will make the final descision. I remember when it happend our pediatrician produced an article about this particular response to pertussis vaccine. It is very rare and not likely related to her Ichthyosis but better to be informed I guess. She has not had any bad reactions on her skin to any of her other vaccines.

I hope this was helpful and did not produce any un-intended anxiety on your part. Congratulations on your baby,

Shannon

#13156 - 12/09/06 02:46 PM Re: New Here- Immunizations Question
libby Offline

Loc: USA
I have 3 girls (one w/CIE) and have immunized them all without any problems. Maybe a bit of crankiness here and there, but like others have stated, the pros outweigh the cons.

Good luck to you and welcome!

Lib

#13157 - 12/15/06 06:49 PM Re: New Here- Immunizations Question
atwoodclan Offline

Loc: TX USA
Just a quick update.

The DTAP whch includes the Hep B as well only caused some fusiness and he slept like normal. Got this 12/7.
Pedictrician & I decided to not give him all his shots as once to see how he would react. We have allergies in our family line as well.

Alex got the Prevnar(PCV) shot yesterday. He is extremely fussy and running a fever. Plus was up alot last night. Watching him today to make sure fever stays below 102. His skin is more dry to me than normal so I have been lubing him more.
We get the HIB next week.

Thanks for all the insight,

Michelle

#13158 - 12/15/06 11:44 PM Re: New Here- Immunizations Question
jrmiss86 Offline

Loc: Marlton, NJ, USA
I have found that with my Alex his skin gets dry whenever he has a fever. He has x-linked. He has had a fever all week and his skin is like sandpaper, whereas right before he got the fever his skin was fine. So it might be the fever that is causing the dry skin not the shot.

Hope that helps.

Heather
Liz (3/16/07)

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information