Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#13109 - 11/30/06 08:42 PM Solid food?!
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
Just saw our new Texas GI doc (who was really nice, I was sort of apprehensive b/c in general GI docs aren't so nice lol), and he suggested doing solid foods with Jules - NOT just the jarred foods that we give her now, but actual table food.

Any suggestions? I'm at a loss. She doesn't really *chew* the jarred solids, sort of smooshes it around and swallows it. I'm afraid if I give her a piece of something solid she'll choke! She's done mashed potatoes fine, but that's about the same texture as jarred baby food.

::sigh:: She does have almost 7 teeth though lol So I suppose it's about time we started...

#13110 - 11/30/06 08:52 PM Re: Solid food?!
didi4nyc Offline

Loc: ny
hey i have some thoughts. I had spoken to my mom she said to use the food processor to things like beans and carrots ect. Make it like mash potatoes. She also said try not mix to much things toghether just in case julia is alergic for example if she is eating sweet potatoes or peas dont mix in corn and carrots that way if julia has an allergic reaction to anything you will be able to keep track. As a kid i know that eating solid homemade food is what kept me healthy to this day I rather have a home made meal than anything fast food. Try a bit of everything rice, beans, chicken. Be careful with fruits be do try it out one fruit at a time. Good luck and if u have any questions for my mom (she probably a beeter resource than me) please let me know.

#13111 - 11/30/06 09:21 PM Re: Solid food?!
graciesmom Offline

Loc: orange park, florida,usa
Bananas are always good to start off with. they are solid but soft and easy to chew. you could also do a beef stew of something like that and let her eat the soft veges. like carrots and potatoes. Good luck, jennifer

#13112 - 11/30/06 09:39 PM Re: Solid food?!
Angel24755 Offline

Loc: PA
Good first foods for us have been small bits of watermelon, chicken and stars soup (we drain the broth out when they are tiny), bananas, Gerber fruit puffs, small bits of hot dogs (cut small...not in circles), Mac and cheese (cut in half at first) and small pastas (small shells were a favorite). Things like that teach them to chew without a huge risk of them choking. Once you see what she can do you will have a better idea of what she can eat. It's hard to say until you try. The biggest thing is to make sure she's siting up while she's eating.
BTW...Glad you like your new GI doctor!
Lisa

#13113 - 12/01/06 12:20 AM Re: Solid food?!
texlex99_dup1 Offline

Loc: Brooklyn Park, MN USA
Emma loves to eat block cheese cut up in small pieces, cheese slices work well also. I steam broccoli and get it really soft, and she loves that, she also loves waffles, with butter, oatmeal, I cut up any type of meat in really tiny pieces. I found canned pears are really easy for her to eat, and canned peaches, and mandrin oranges. I would maybe try giving her small bits of your meals to let her get used to real table food. Emma won't even touch baby food anymore. The Gerber Graduats meals are ok also. I especially love the fruit and veggie puffs. Give me a call if you have any questions.

Becky

#13114 - 12/01/06 12:34 AM Re: Solid food?!
swebblie Offline

Loc: Wollongong, Australia
Hi all,

I have been reading this board for about 4 years now, but I haven't written much.(and needed to get a new profile)

I wanted to just say that babies and toddlers have great gag reflexes, So if the food isn't chewed enough it won't get far before they vomit it back up. My son really like dried fruit bars and chucks of soft pear to chew on.

By the way, my son,Tobias, will be 4 in march and has x-linked Ichthyosis. However they are about to start genetic testing in Feb because the pead. derm. thinks he might have another genetic condition as well as the Ich. I also have a six month old daughter, eleanor, who also has a long list of medical problem, but more about my children later.

Hope things get better with Julia's eating.

Sarah.

#13115 - 12/01/06 01:08 AM Re: Solid food?!
jds Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Jules has teeth right? Jared only has 4 and has been eating solids since he was about 7 months old. I pretty much tear things into tiny bites. I started out with oatmeal and applesauce, can fruits and veggies (becasue they are tender). As for meat I gave him mainly shredded meat that was in other foods util I really knew he wouldn't choke. Good luck.
lamellar ichthyosis

#13116 - 12/01/06 01:33 AM Re: Solid food?!
Laurensmom Offline

Loc: north billerica, massachusetts...
Lauren loved mashed squash. We just made it lumpier and lumpier as time went by.

#13117 - 12/01/06 03:09 AM Re: Solid food?!
CShell Offline

Thanks! I'll give all those suggestions a shot!

I still think that the GI doc is over-estimating her abilities right now. I had some stage 3 carrots/veggie dinner, that had chunks of carrots in it, and she just swallowed it like she does the stage 2 banannas and choked. She doesn't even really make *chewing* motions when she eats, but rather smooshes it around with her tongue. I know she has to learn how to eat, but I just don't think she's at that stage yet...developmentally she's at a 6 month old level (gross motor, small motor, verbal, etc...although cognitive they said she was at about the right place)...and I wouldn't expect a 6 month old to eat table food, ya know?

#13118 - 12/01/06 03:38 AM Re: Solid food?!
swebblie Offline

Loc: Wollongong, Australia
Just had another thought, Have you tried giving her Rusks to chew on?

Sarah

#13119 - 12/01/06 07:07 PM Re: Solid food?!
threerxli Offline

Loc: virginia
I think the gi docs biggest concern is that she pick up food and bring it to her mouth, so that she learns food comes form other sorces (not tube or spoon) Some children, if they miss this window of opportunity for development, refuse table foods completely due to texture, and other reasons. I would try the banana, mashed potatoes,(placed on her tray-messy but fun), and other foods that can be mashed with her tongue. Then I would tell you, like I tell all of my mommys here, please take an infant child first aid and cpr course. You never know when you will need it, and you will feel a little better about when choking is major, or just gagging. The Red Cross and the American Heart assoc have great classes to offer. New this year, they no longer give a test for CPR, First Aid only. It's not hard either, just be prepared to make friends with a manequin lol.

#13120 - 12/01/06 11:09 PM Re: Solid food?!
CShell Offline

That is a good idea, I'm already certified in CPR and First Aid - got certified when I was a senior in high school, and every year I just do a class to re-new it, so I'm good on that angle. Plus DH is certified from when he was in bootcamp last year.

I spoke with the nutritionist again today, after attempting to give her mashed up boiled chicken (didn't even attempt to chew it, just cried when I put it in her mouth b/c she didn't know what to do!), and she agrees with me that she doesn't think Julia's ready for that stuff yet. She thinks that the GI doc just didn't hear her when she said Jules was at a 6 month level, just saw 14 months on the chart (tho if he thought she was a normal size for 14 months, he must not see a lot of kids! lol). She said to try crumbled up graham crackers in her jarred solids, not chunks just teeny tiny pieces, which'll make her have to use a chewing motion, instead of just being able to swallow it. So I guess I'll try that, and keep pushing the chunkier stage 3 foods for now...

#13121 - 12/02/06 12:23 AM Re: Solid food?!
jrmiss86 Offline

Loc: Marlton, NJ, USA
One thing we loved were these mesh bags that you put soft fruits and veggies in and they chew on the food through the mesh bag, it helps them learn to chew without the danger of choking, they can be a pain to clean but they work great.

this is what one step ahead sells,
(http://www.onestepahead.com/product/85206/307755/117.html) you can find them at babies 'r' us for cheaper. They have other brands there as well that are colors so the bananas don't stain as much. I may even have a few left over that didn't get used. If I find them I will let you know if you want them.

Heather
Liz (3/16/07)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information