Topic Options
#13092 - 11/27/06 08:03 AM We had a nice experience :)
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
We had this 'family day' at the base we're at currently, and at the start of it, there was a formation. So basically, all the military members were lined up in this field, and all the family members were sitting on the edges of the field. I was sitting with Julia in her carseat, and this little 9 year old boy came over and said "Can I sit with you, my dad's in the formation" - of course I said OK. So he was playing with Jules, and after awhile he said "Why is her skin so red?" and I said, "Oh, it's just dry skin. It doesn't hurt her."

And that was that!! He kept playing with her like there was absolutely nothing "different" about her skin. I was amazed and enlightened, and made me feel a bit better about when she grows up [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Just thought I would share, because that was a highlight of this past week!

#13093 - 11/27/06 11:32 AM Re: We had a nice experience :)
Curtise Offline

Loc: Sheffield, UK
How refreshingly lovely! I'm very aware that I'm hypersensitive about other people's reactions to Nina, and therefore probably miss a lot of ordinary nice stuff people say because I'm more tuned in to the other stuff!

Nice to know that kids can ask a straightforward question, have a matter-of-fact response to your answer, and enjoy Julia's company just the same!

#13094 - 11/27/06 01:25 PM Re: We had a nice experience :)
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Oh CShell:

I just saw this comment, right after I expressed my very similar feelings in the general discussion section...what a coincidence...and keep up the good work
Being so casual about it, works wonders

Pauline

#13095 - 11/27/06 11:41 PM Re: We had a nice experience :)
texlex99_dup1 Offline

Loc: Brooklyn Park, MN USA
I grew up with Nethertons, and I always found that kids were much more accepting of me and my appearance. basically they would ask why my skin was so red and dry, and I would tell them that I had a skin condition that I was born with and that it wasn't catchy, and that would be it. The adults would be much more rude with the stares and comments to my mom. I'm so glad that you got to experience that situation.

Becky

#13096 - 11/28/06 12:17 AM Re: We had a nice experience :)
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
[QUOTE]Originally posted by texlex99:
"I would tell them that I had a skin condition that I was born with and that it wasn't catchy, and that would be it".

Becky this is exactly what i say to people...Once they know it is not contagious they are usually much more relaxed about it...

The other week 3 young boys came over, while they saw me playing with my cat and a soccer ball...they saw my skin and one said very nervously "what is wrong with your skin?" before i got the chance to say anything, the next boy said "did you fall off a fence?", I laughed and said no i was just born with it, it is ok...and the 3rd boy said "are you alright?" they were all so cute and had genuine concern...alot of parents who stare and tell their kids to stop looking, could learn a thing or two from those three gorgeous boys...

Pauline

#13097 - 11/28/06 02:47 AM Re: We had a nice experience :)
texlex99_dup1 Offline

Loc: Brooklyn Park, MN USA
Pauline, Amen to that! Adults really could learn a thing or two from kids on how to react to someone who is different. Again I always have and still do find that kids are much more accepting of someone who is different, if the condition is just explained to them.

Becky

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information