Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12980 - 11/04/06 02:41 PM What can I do about cracked hands ?
skittles71 Offline

Loc: Catawba North carolina
Hello everyone can anyone give a suggestion of what to use for Jordan's cracked hands. He was outside yesterday riding his bike and he came in and said " mom I guess I have to stay in look at my hands. His little hands had cracks all in them.I have that Tazorac now but his doctor said i could'nt use it anywhere but his lower leg parts. I have so many lotion here but I really cant find one that works to good.So I thought someone out there might have a little suggestion. Looks like after 15 yrs I would know more then I do but I dont really. Cause Cameron my 15yr old skin does alot different then Jordan's skin. Jordan seems to have more sensitive skin then Cameron. And it weird how one day Jordan's skin can look normal and the next day it looks alfull.But if anyone has a specaial way you treat your kids cracked hands or maybe how you adults do it I will take the time to try it. Or is there anything I can do to protect his hands when he goes out to play besides gloves ? Thanks for reading and sorry to be a bother but someone elses idea might be a little better then mine.

Thanks alot

#12981 - 11/04/06 02:54 PM Re: What can I do about cracked hands ?
Laurensmom Offline

Loc: north billerica, massachusetts...
Hi Kathy,

Lauren's hands have been a mess lately, as well. Poor thing has resorted to crawling on her forearms instead of her hands. She sits and picks at them most of the day. We have just been piling on the acquaphor and rubbing the dry stuff off as best we can in the tub. Her nails are also out of control right now (thick, long and peeling). I dont know if the colder weather here in New England is to blame, although we have had rain (which usually helps). Hopefully someone has better advice for both of our kids. Take care,

Shannon

#12982 - 11/04/06 03:17 PM Re: What can I do about cracked hands ?
wva Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI, USA
Hi. I can only give you my perspective being an adult with LI, not a parents perspective. They may have better suggestions on here. Since you have been at this for a while you probably already have him use thick creams on his hands. But, that can make it hard to ride a bike with greasy hands. When I go out into the fall or winter weather I usually put some petroleum jelly on my skin because it chaps and cracks so quickly (old fashioned but it helps), or maybe Zim's crack cream (we get it at Walmart). Maybe if Jordan does that about 15 mins to a half hour before he goes out it will help his hands to not crack as bad. Otherwise, the gloves do come to mind. I like wearing driving gloves because they are not so big and bulky. Since you said "besides gloves" I'm assuming that maybe Jordan doesn't like the way they feel. By the way, I really like those names, Jordan and Cameron. I have three boys and one girl myself. None of them have ich. Sorry I could not be of more help. God bless!
Karen (wva)

#12983 - 11/04/06 04:54 PM Re: What can I do about cracked hands ?
graciesmom Offline

Loc: orange park, florida,usa
I REALLY DON'T HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR PREVENTING THE CRACKS BUT WE USE A CREAM CALLED BIAFINE ON GRACIE THAT IS GREAT TO HEAL THE CRACKS. IT'S A PERSCRIPTION BUT MIGHT BE WORTH TRING. IT IS A TOPICAL EMULSION SO IT BASICALLY ADHEARS THE SKIN BACK TOGETHER. I THINK SURGEONS USE IT ON PATIENTS WHO HAVE OPEN WOUNDS. HAVE YOU TRIED PUTTING ON A THICK LAYER OF LOTION FOLLOWED BY WET GLOVES? YOU CAN PUT ON A DRY PAIR OVER THE WET TO KEEP THINGS FROM GETTING TOO WET. WE DO THIS ON OCCASION FOR GRACIE AND IT HELPS SOME. I HOPE JORDAN IS FEELING BETTER SOON! JENNIFER

#12984 - 11/04/06 07:55 PM Re: What can I do about cracked hands ?
threerxli Offline

Loc: virginia
Occasionally we (including me, my hands are always being washed), place (insert lotion of your choice) on our hands, and then put on therapy gloves, or plain cotton socks, and wear them to bed. It helps the next day with the pain of the cracking and open skin. Can he change the type of soap he washes his hads with? Also, at one time, our sons school started using hand sanitizer gel, with out telling the parents about it, this was a huge problem for my sons skin. When they go out in the cold weather, we try to make sure that the lotion has dried completely and absorbed. Drink more water too, if he can. I am not sure if his skin is trying to shed with a skin build up? or is his skin overly exfoliated? or could it just look worse from the skin build up, that becomes dried out and cracked looking when the cold, dry air hits it?

#12985 - 11/05/06 12:15 PM Re: What can I do about cracked hands ?
Deidra Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Ohio USA
Hi,
I'm sure you already do or have tried this. Evan's "grease" of choice on his hands is aquaphor. He uses it in the morning and he tells me they still feel good at bedtime. I would go with the idea of putting it on about 15 minutes before going out. Let us know what you find that works.
Deidra

#12986 - 11/05/06 04:19 PM Re: What can I do about cracked hands ?
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Are the cracked because there are thick callouses of overgrown skin or is it more like papercut cracks?

For overgrown skin, we file it off with those heavy black 10o grit files that you can get from the beauty supply place.

For the thinner papercut cracks, we glob on the aquaphor at night, bathe in the morning and put a layer of cream on immediately upon exitting. Then about 30 minutes later, put a second layer on. My husband always managed this by having a second bottle of cream in his school bag or (now) in his briefcase. That second layer makes all the difference.

As for the nails, the best time to cut them is fresh out of the shower. We like using the cuticle nippers to cut down the nail, the cuticle, and the hangnails.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#12987 - 11/05/06 08:49 PM Re: What can I do about cracked hands ?
skittles71 Offline

Loc: Catawba North carolina
Thanks for all the great ideas...his hands are like paper cuts and also its really bad between his legs. And I really see this when its cold and windy outside. At this point he cant take a bath or shower cause the water hurts him so bad. Ive always been told by doctors not to give no more then 2 baths a week in the winter. All becuase it causes the skin to crack more then its suppose to. And when he is outside playing the most tender places on him are his hands and feet.We was out in the cold lastnight and he could'nt even walk back to the car cause his feet hurt him so bad. So he has to ride piggy back on my back and now my back is killing me.So guess I want do that again. But now im puttng lotion on his hands before he goes outside then I put some on when he comes back in. But Im woundering if I apply to much lotion will that make his hands worse ? Cause I dont want to be doing anymore harm then what is already done.I want to thank you guys again for your help.

#12988 - 11/06/06 01:20 AM Re: What can I do about cracked hands ?
pauline5 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Has anyone suggested Dermese at nightime...with a pair of cotton gloves to keep the ointment on...

In the daytime, my non greasy choice is cetrimide cream...it has an antibiotic element to it, so aides healing much faster...

Pauline.

#12989 - 11/06/06 04:38 AM Re: What can I do about cracked hands ?
threerxli Offline

Loc: virginia
Also, try boxer shorts in the winter, it will rub less in the leg and waist area. this might help him a lot! Try letting the lotion dry before going outside (you might already do this). I am going to call you tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information