Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12406 - 08/08/06 08:03 PM Hydrolatum - tried it
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
This was a cream recommended by our derm. quite awhile ago, and we finally decided to try it out. I guess our initial reservations was that it's just petroleum based, so not all that different from Aquaphor or Vaseline. I ordered it off of hardtofindbrands.com, and got it in the mail yesterday. The ingredients are: hydrated petrolatum, purified water, sorbitan sesquioleate, and methylparaben.

I've got to say, I'm a bit impressed - first, b/c I can put it on her scalp without her hair getting all matted down and icky! It's pretty thick and sort of sticky, but gets absorbed really quickly. It's certainly no miracle cream, but I only creamed her up once yesterday with it (no Aquaphor, just Hydrolatum the second she got out of the bath) and I only had to do it once. She's peeled noticably less this morning, but not sure if that has to do with the cream or not, b/c her skin's been acting totally different for the past few weeks anyway.

It's actually *easier* for me when she peels a lot in the morning, easier to get the skin off lol So that's the only con I have to this cream, if it's in fact the cream that made her not peel a lot.

I think I'm going to try using some sort of mineral oil or something *first* and then then Hydrolatum on top of it.

#12407 - 08/08/06 10:12 PM Re: Hydrolatum - tried it
Angel24755 Offline

Loc: PA
I have only found a few products without some sort of "paraben" in it. Out of curiosity...do you plan on using this even with the paraben in it and the recent conversation of it causing cancer in the potty training thread? I just wondered because I am debating the same thing with the "Skin Milk" product that we started using a few days ago. Seems to be working well but at the same time it has a type of paraben in it. Not sure what we are going to do. (I swear if I see a form of paraben in one more product I am going to scream...I looked around the house today just out of curiosity and EVERY Bath and Body lotion I have has a paraben in it ARG!)
Lisa

#12408 - 08/08/06 10:28 PM Re: Hydrolatum - tried it
CShell Offline

WOW, I had no idea! I actually didn't read the potty training thread, b/c Jules isn't potty training lol

We have an appointment with our derm. next week, so that's something I'll have to ask her about. Our derm. was who recommended it, actually, and she's *really* conservative with what she recommends (she said Vaseline for the first 6 months! lol) so IDK...

#12409 - 08/08/06 10:57 PM Re: Hydrolatum - tried it
Angel24755 Offline

If you wouldn't mind sharing what your derm has to say, I would love to hear her thoughts on the subject.
We bought a new cream last week called Skin Milk. It smells great and it seems to be making their skin softer as well. At the moment both of the kids are covered in white flakes which isn't normal for them. At the same time, they are softer (still dry but softer) and their lotion isn't getting sucked right into their skin like before. I don't know if it is the skin milk or the Aveeno Oatmeal lotion that I was starting to use for itching at night under the Aquaphor but something is making them flake and something is making them moist LOL. I am going to give it a little while because they seem softer. I am thinking that it might just be them getting rid of some dead skin with our new routine and I have high hopes that after a few weeks, the flakes will be gone and the end result will be softer skin. Wishfull thinking? Maybe LOL...but I am going to keep trying. I was going to stop and go back to our old routine when I saw them peeling like that but I talked myself into the old wait and see deal.
I used to cover them with Curel in the morning, touch up with Curel during the day and then Aquaphor at night. For the past week though I have been using the Curel in the morning, topping that off with the Skin Milk on top, touching up with Curel during the day, and then Aveeno covered by Aquaphor at night. I didn't take away anything I used to use...just added to it. I guess that is where my hopes of softer skin comes in!
The Skin Milk is up in the air right now though because of that paraben issue. I want to keep using it because I like it so much but at the same time, I would hate to put something on them that would cause cancer.
Another thing...I have been looking online at ingredients in a lot of common products that people have mentioned here and even Amlactin has a paraben in it.
Lisa

#12410 - 08/09/06 04:54 AM Re: Hydrolatum - tried it
gryphon Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I didn't mean to freak people out with the post in the potty-training thread [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

You'll literally go nuts trying to eliminate parabens from your home. It's in EVERYTHING. Being an inexpensive preservative, it is used in almost every shampoo, deoderant, toothpaste, shaving cream, body wash etc. that is on the store shelves. Here's just a sampling of products for methylparaben:
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi...amp;prodcat=all

You'll find an even longer list of propylparaben. So abandon any ideas of having a paraben-free home if you do your shopping in a run-of-the-mill drugstore

I first started researching this in May so I've gotten over that panic stage. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Really one has to examine this with some balance, so read all the information from the search results on parabens and you'll see that there is no finding that parabens *cause* cancer. The bottom of the following link has some reputable sources commenting on this very fact.
http://www.ctfa.org.nz/information/antiperspirant/antiperspirant.html

For me however, it is only *lotions* that are a concern because I use so much of it when you combine my general lotions and specialty lotions (about 30 bottles per year). And lotions are completely absorbed into my body, not washed off like other products. So if I can find an *equally effective* paraben-free alternative to a paraben-containing lotion then I'll switch. But if not, it isn't worth switching from an effective lotion and sacrificing the quality of skin simply to avoid parabens. IMHO caring for ich skin takes precedence over avoiding parabens.

I was lucky. My three Dermal Therapy lotions don't contain parabens and nor does Cetaphil. However several lotions I was using earlier did, but they were just as effectively replaced by the ones I just mentioned. So if you have easy and equally effective alternatives to parabens then opt for them, otherwise I personally wouldn't fret about it.

But if your really want to switch try googling "no parabens lotion" or "paraben-free lotion" and going through those. Or shop on Australian or New Zealand sites (ie. Dermadrate or Dermaveen)...remember that prices are in local currency often.

Sorry for unduly worrying anyone, especially you Lisa.

BTW if ya'll weren't worried enough try googling the following: "mineral oil" skin toxins

[img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] Seriously though, you can't start pulling your hair about parabens, petroleum distillates (ie. mineral oil, petrolatum), propylene glycol or other contrversial ingredients in lotions. If you do, you will either have to accept drier ich skin or triple your lotion costs.

#12411 - 08/09/06 06:31 PM Re: Hydrolatum - tried it
Angel24755 Offline

Gryphon,
I found your post on Parabens interesting and informative. I greatly appriciated the information! However, you can't wave information around like that and then follow up by saying people shouldn't be worried.
The fact is that Parabens "might" cause cancer but there are no facts leading to 100% proof of this (I did my own research after your post...I never take anybody's word on anything LOL). I wasn't trying to eliminate Parabens from my home...perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying. I simply had a look around my home at all of the lotions and personal care products we were using to see if they contained parabens. I found that all of my Bath and Body Works products contained parabens as well as the Skin Milk that I bought for my children's skin care. I can't feel 100% comfortable using these products every day on my children if it could cause them harm in their future. My daughter is 2 and my son is 4. If I use skin milk on them every day for the next 20 years and then find out in 20 years that due to years of exposures to parabens in their lotions, they have cancer, it would be devastating. Just to clear this up, I DO NOT plan on tossing all of my Bath and Body Works lotions...I am sure I will buy more in the future too. I will let my kids use them once in a while as well. Do I want to put a lotion or a cream on my kids head to toe, every single day that has a paraben in it after you posted your original post on the possibility of it causing cancer...NO! Disappointed? Sure...I liked the products I found but I am not glued to them.
If every lotion had parabens in it, I would have no choice and of course I would still take care of my children's skin even though it had a risk. If I can buy things without parabens in it...you bet I will. If the Skin Milk was making their skin softer (which I think it was) but I can continue on without it then I certainly won't use it again. I will go out to Eckerd a bit later today (yet again) and search for a cream to go over top of their Curel in the morning without parabens. If I can't find one...oh well...we lasted four years with just Curel and Aquaphor. I will simply continue on with Curel, the new Aveeno with oatmeal that I bought, and their Aquaphor.
This morning we used their Curel lotion and passed on the Skin Milk...I liked it...sure...but it's not worth the risk IMO. After a lot of thought last night, I decided I wouldn't use it again. You yourself said you tossed a ton of your products because they contain parabens. I assure you...I am not freaking out. I am doing what I should be doing as a parent...I am looking out for my children who can't do it for themselves.
Again...thanks for the info.
Lisa

#12412 - 08/09/06 09:42 PM Re: Hydrolatum - tried it
gryphon Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Lisa,

I had originally intended to post what I did above in different words in the toilet-training thread. I personally felt that my words regarding parabens were too incendiary there. Perhaps I should have posted there to better balance my post in that thread.

Instead I decided to * lightheartedly * post in this thread instead. It was not addressed to, or even directed at you, rather I was addressing the fact that my words in my other post might make one unduly worried given the history of parabens and the amount of research that has been done since the 90ís. The EU, The American Cancer Society, Australian authorities, and many others have looked into this and have concluded that the risk is not significant, that there is no * conclusive * evidence that parabens are the cause of cancers, and that no action is needed on parabens in cosmetics. As such its use is pervasive in the industry. However there are some groups who remain unconvinced because of the lack of certainty you also mentioned. Thatís what I wanted to express really because I thought the information I waved around in the first post didnít reflect that. I was not dismissing or denigrating any of your feelings or conduct because I have felt and conducted myself in no way differently than you.

Certainly I, like you, am worried about the degree of paraben exposure given that a person with ich applies gallons of lotion a year. I have brought up the paraben issue in the past when another mother (Aylasmom) asked about lotion ingredients. The prolonged use over decades in the quantities we use is a legitimate and real concern especially when itís started at a very young age. Heck Iíve been absorbing it in large quantities for some 30 years now so Iím worried. So, I was not being critical or condescending regarding your worry. I decided to follow the same course of action you did and have in all my posts on this subject suggested the same. If one can eliminate parabens from ich care then it is a wise and prudent decision. However, there are people with ich who rely on certain lotions to exfoliate or hydrate such Aqua-glycolic, lachydrin, or Eucerin. If there are no other lotions equal to the task then perhaps, based on current research findings, a radical change that will negatively impact the skin is not warranted.

Iím sure youíll agree that tone is very difficult to transmit on a BB. I especially have a hard time doing it (I generally do not foster personal or social relationships through blackberries, text messages, or even emailÖI do all of that in person or on the phone). So Iím not as seasoned as some of you. I also tend to post-and-go with little proofreading or sober second thought to what I write. All that aside, I can see how my earlier words could be read as being something other than what I intended. I can also see now how, in the context, words like ďfreak people outĒ and my tone could be considered wholly inappropriate and even offensive.

I only mentioned you by name, Lisa, because I thought my one-sided paraben post caused your ďArgĒ. Now that I know otherwise I would not have even mentioned that apology line in last post.

I can assure you that Iím well aware that each and every one who participates in this particular forum is trying to do right by his or her kid(s). And, whenever I express my thoughts in this forum it is with the sole purpose of helping to further that parental endeavour. I donít come here to pass judgement on yours or anyone elseís conduct, to personally denigrate anyone, or to compromise the well-being of anyoneís child(ren). I resent any insinuation that my views are to that effect. What I did was express my views on the paraben issue after researching it just as you have. I hold similar views about pesticide residues in lanolin, the petro-chemical and toxin-blocking issues of petrolatum or mineral oil, and the renal issues surrounding propylene glycol. But there again it is only my opinion, based on my research on those ingredients in lotions and my personal health. Everyone else should make a balanced decision based on his or her own personal circumstances and findings. Although I am not an academic expert on any of the topics generally expressed on this BB, what I do try to ensure is that any posts I make on this BB reflects the * entirety* of my personal knowledge and experience on a specific issue. My disjointed, double-threaded posting on parabens was not the best way of doing that. Anyway, Iím pleased you were able to make use of the information.

[This message has been edited by gryphon (edited August 09, 2006).]

#12413 - 08/09/06 10:58 PM Re: Hydrolatum - tried it
Curtise Offline

Loc: Sheffield, UK
I've found all the information and discussion on the parabens issue really interesting, for which thanks mostly go to Gryphon. I'm trying to weigh up the costs and benefits of using creams with parabens in, and struggling to reach a conclusion, in part because Nina is only 7 months old and we are still getting to grips with what might be most effective for her skin out of the myriad of stuff available. It's really overwhelming. I too worry about the long term effects of using all these products in such vast quantities, and from such a young age. I'm as interested in the issues of using petrochemical-based stuff as well as the parabens.

However, we find ourselves, as individuals and parents, having to make these decisions, and I'm grateful for any help I can get in doing so. I'd like to start by getting an idea what all the ingredients in the lotions, etc, actually do; I read the list of names and haven't a clue what any of them are, as I merrily slap it all over my baby (well, actually not that merrily...)

Apart from googling them individually, any ideas of where to look for information? Gryphon, I'm hoping you may have a reference to help me here, you seem good at knowing where to find this information! Many thanks for the links you already listed.

#12414 - 08/10/06 12:24 AM Re: Hydrolatum - tried it
jds Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I have often wondered the same but do not have time at the moment with school startting up to research. Wouldn't it be great to have a place on this website that could list some of the ingredients with information about them? Just a thought.
lamellar ichthyosis

#12415 - 08/10/06 04:01 AM Re: Hydrolatum - tried it
CShell Offline

This is the email my derm. sent back to me. I'm going to send her the links listed in the potty training thread and see what she has to say.

Parabens is a preservative. It is in most moisturizing creams. It is known
to rarely cause a skin sensitivity allergy. I do not know of any
association with cancer associated with this preservative in mosturizers.
If you have seen something please send a link and I will check it out. If
there is a connection to cancer reported, I imagine it would be at a level
of exposure much larger than what is in creams (perhaps the level absorbed
by someone in a factory that produces the chemical would be a problem, for
example).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information