Topic Options
#11741 - 04/11/08 09:30 PM This is Cindie, Karen Sawyers Daughter, Baby news
Martika Offline

Loc: Southern California
As you all know, my name is Cynthia or Cindie Hamilton, formerly Carey. I am Karen Sawyers daughter. I am 18w pregnant, with EHK, and just recently had my amnio to find out if the baby has EHK. We got prelim results back and it's a BOY, his name is Tyler James Hamilton. Also... He has Down Syndrome, which is 3 copies of the #21 chromosome. I actually saw a map of HIS chromosomes today at the counsellors office, he has 3 copies of the # 21 chromosome. def. D/S.
[img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/frown.gif[/img] But We are trying to look at the bright side of things until we hear if the baby has my skin problem and any heart problems or not.

But I did have a VERY low chance, like 1/1700 or more, but after this baby, it's 1/100 with any other children.

She said it's very rare for a mom to have more than 1 child with down syndrome. and in a few weeks we are getting a heart test for the baby to be sure his heart is healthy since about %40 of these babies have heart problems. and my whole family knows.
I'm now officially considered HIGH RISK. At 24 weeks they're gonna do a echocardiogram(sp?) to check for heart defects, and at 29w they're gonna have me in 2X a week to check for stress on the baby.
We still don't find out if he has EHK for another 6-8weeks.

My husband is looking at it this way~ We played russian roulette with 1 bullet already in the gun (my skin problem) then got shot with a second bullet we didn't know was in there. We're waiting to see if the next one comes out too.
How I see it~ At least we've survived that first shot.
(I've posted on 2 other threads for other ppl to see.)

#11742 - 04/15/08 01:24 AM Re: This is Cindie, Karen Sawyers Daughter, Baby news
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Cindie, I'm sorry to hear your disappointing news. What a shock for your family to absorb.

Do keep us updated on Tyler.

Jennifer
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#11743 - 04/15/08 05:33 PM Re: This is Cindie, Karen Sawyers Daughter, Baby news
immystique Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO, USA
Yes, please keep us updated Cindie!

And continue to keep your chin up--Downs isn't the end of the world, and neither is EHK. I mean, you already KNOW how to deal w/ EHK! [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

My husband's younger brother has Downs, and he has a few cousins with the condition as well. People with Downs are very affectionate and very people-oriented. It is difficult raising a special needs child, but the rewards are definitely worth it.

#11744 - 04/17/08 07:04 PM Re: This is Cindie, Karen Sawyers Daughter, Baby news
wva Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI, USA
I am sorry to hear that your son has Down Syndrome and I know that your family has been through a lot. We will keep you all in our prayers here. The good news is that you can get so much information and emotional support that used to not be available to people years ago. Best wishes to you and your family.

#11745 - 04/26/08 04:49 AM Re: This is Cindie, Karen Sawyers Daughter, Baby news
Martika Offline

Loc: Southern California
Thank you all. With time has come lots of learning too. I've been doing research and have come to decide that it isn't the worst thing that can happen. we are happily awaiting our little boy. We still don't have the results on EHK.

I'm going to be 5 months pregnant Tomorrow! it feels like just last year we were getting married. lol,
Luckily I met a woman here at my apartments who works with the disabled (mainly down syndrome) and she has invited me to a "mixer" type thing in a nearby town soon, to meet some of the adults she works with.
That definitely made me feel better.

and yes.. we DEFINITELY know how to deal with the skin problem.

BTW I(and I'm still trying to convince him) have decided that I'd LOVE to try for our girl in a couple yrs. when tylers about 2 2 1/2.. so I'm looking forward to that as well even tho it's well into the future

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information