Topic Options
#11735 - 05/05/06 03:20 PM Help with taping NG tube...we're at Stanford U.
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
Hey everyone, only have limited time so this will be quick and I'll give a better update when we get home.

Any suggestions on how we can tape the NG tube for night feedings without absolutely reeking havoc on her cheeks? Last night when we took the tape off (had something called ComFlex on under the tape) her cheek was really red and sore looking.

Help is VERY much appreciated. Thanks!

#11736 - 05/05/06 05:48 PM Re: Help with taping NG tube...we're at Stanford U.
Annamarie Offline

Loc: La Mesa, CA.
They couldn't use tape on Ryan either. What they came up with was Pro net netting, the stuff they use on burn victims. It comes in a bunch of sizes. You might want to use a size 5 or smaller. This would completely cover the head and they would cut out holes for the eyes and mouth. Then you use elastic string (I get at a sewing store) and you tie the tube to the netting. It works great, Ryan still does it the same way.

#11737 - 05/05/06 05:52 PM Re: Help with taping NG tube...we're at Stanford U.
Annamarie Offline

Loc: La Mesa, CA.
If you can't get the sewing string you can also use a rubberband. I'm at work today till 5pm, you can always call if I can help.
(619) 589-3377.

#11738 - 05/05/06 10:03 PM Re: Help with taping NG tube...we're at Stanford U.
Laurensmom Offline

Loc: north billerica, massachusetts...
Hi Courtney,

I hope everything is going well and you will be home soon. I noticed from Julia's pics that she often wears a little hat. We used put tape on the tube (like a little tag) and pin the tube to Lauren's hats up and out of reach of her little grabby hands. It worked great and we were able to avoid dropping a different tube for each feeding. Good luck and all the best.
Shannon

#11739 - 05/06/06 03:20 AM Re: Help with taping NG tube...we're at Stanford U.
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
We're back! lol Quick admission...we were only there for 21 hours lol Our nurse said that was the fastest she's ever seen anyone learn how to work the pump and take the tube in and out [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Well, Dmitry and I sort of tag-teamed - he did the tube, I did the pump. I'm a little anxious about putting it in myself.

Dr. Bruckner (one of the med. advisors on the FIRST board) gave us Mepitak, or something like that. It's not an adhesive, but made of silicon, and said as soon as it got wet it would just slide off. She said they use it on EB patients, so it's good for sensitive skin. We'll be trying it tonight to see how it works. If it doesn't we'll be looking into our other options.

Man, I'm glad that's over. I hate being in hospitals, I hate seeing strangers poke and prod Julia. Initially, seeing the tube put in was just about as horrible as I imagined (the nurse got it wrong the first time she tried, Julia was trying to cry but no noise was coming out, and it turned out that the tube coiled at the back of her throat, I just about had a heart attack). It was better when Dmitry was doing it, and maybe after awhile I'll get up the nerve to try it myself.

[This message has been edited by CShell (edited May 05, 2006).]

#11740 - 05/07/06 07:57 AM Re: Help with taping NG tube...we're at Stanford U.
Francesca Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
With Lucia we use the oxygen nasal prongs - snip off the the prongs and tape over the 'butts' - this will be behind one of her ears. Cut off any excess of clear tubing - essentially you should have a tube device that slips over her head and sits below her nose and behind her ears, but is adjustable at the back; then tape the NG tube to this in 3 places( I will send photo by email!)It allows you to see when the NG tube is creeping out of the nostril, becuase all other bits should remain fixed.
As Lucia will be having the G tube put in this week, would you like me to send you all our excess NG tubes??? The ones she uses are clear/green with measurements - I was advised that they would last about a week,(packaging states 4weeks) but I have been sterilising them every 3 days or when Lucia pulls them out so thats why I have an excess...don't know if there is an international standard for NG tubes, so I could scan or send a photo!!! Brand is 'unomedical' and it is CH 06(french gauge 6) - let me know....

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information