Topic Options
#11413 - 03/27/06 08:50 PM signs of over heating ?
jds Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I know we have talked about this several times before but now that summer is approaching I think that maybe I will remember this time (hopefully anyways). Being in Texas it is pretty much at least 70 on most days if not in the 80. By the end of May, it will be well over 80 most days. From what I remember, most everyone seems to begin overheating at about 75 degrees. How will I know if Jared is overheating since he isn't speaking yet? I do think that he over heated in the store the other day because he was screaming and unconsolable. I stripped him down to his diaper and sat down with him where he was far enough away from me to not be getting warmer from my body heat and he did calm down. Other than that I have no idea what to look for. Also, I want to make sure that I have the ways to cool him down correctly. I have a very active 4 year old whom up until now has been outside pretty much from dawn to dusk and he is having a very difficult time adjusting to this. I just do not want him to begin to resent the little guy for not being able to go outside as often. Anyways, I got off track. Ways to cool down...
cold, wet wash cloths
misting fans
cooling vest
t-shirts or oneies in ice water (switch them out as they dry out)
drink lots of water and fluids.
Which of these are best for infants? Jared will be between 6-10 months during the hottest parts of our year. Honestly though, Texas is hot most of the year. It isn't abnormal to have a heat wave in December. Thank you for any advice you can give. Again, sorry about asking the same question for the thousandth time.
lamellar ichthyosis

#11414 - 03/27/06 09:15 PM Re: signs of over heating ?
skittles71 Offline

Loc: Catawba North carolina
Hey i have 2 boys with XLI well this may sound weird but my older son does'nt over heat as much as the younger one does.The first signs i notice when hes over heating is his ears get really red and his face.We was inside Shoe Carnival the other day and he was playing basketball at the back of the store and when we was ready to leave his ears and face was red as it could be.I took him right away and got him a wet paper towel and made him drink some water.Then I took him outside and stood there for a few mins cause it was like in the 40's.That cooled him down fast.For your little one I would suggest keeping the oneies on Jared and dipping them in cold water.And also I would use the misty mate those work great.To me I think the cooling vest will be to much for him right now.Jordan did'nt start wearing them until he was 3yrs.And still to this day he likes me to wet his tshirts and use the misty mates.And I would suggest not to put dark colors on him.Try to use white or light colors.I hope this has helped you out.Good Luck !

[This message has been edited by skittles71 (edited March 27, 2006).]

#11415 - 03/27/06 09:43 PM Re: signs of over heating ?
jds Offline

Skittles,
Thank you so much for your reply. I went to the Misty Mates website and I have no idea what would be apporiate for an infant and last at least for a couple of years. Did you get one of the pump type misters? They seem to attach to the child. If that is the case, would you suggest the 10, 16, or 24 ounce one? With it being so hot here, I am afraid the 10 oz would be out of water fairly quickly, but the 16 or 24 oz might be too heavy. What do you think? Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by jds (edited March 27, 2006).]
lamellar ichthyosis

#11416 - 03/27/06 09:55 PM Re: signs of over heating ?
skittles71 Offline

Loc: Catawba North carolina
I have the 24 oz and I never attached it to Jordan i just let him use it when he was ready for it.Hes to active to attach it to him.And I use the pump type and I got mine at Walgreens drug store.Im not sure if you have one there but i would check Wal Mart also.And maybe some stores that you may have there.There cheaper if you can find one there.Just let me know if you have any other questions.

#11417 - 03/28/06 02:28 AM Re: signs of over heating ?
sideshowbob Offline

Loc: Midwest, USA
I've been lurking a while, trying to figure out this overheating thing, too. Can anyone tell me WHY kids with icth. overheat? Is it because the skin can be thick and block the sweat glands, or is there actually a problem with the glands themselves? Our daughter is 17 mos old (adopted, so this is all new to us) and when she gets hot she sweats just like a normal child. Is this something that only happens to some kids, or is it something that will happen as she gets older?

#11418 - 03/28/06 03:16 AM Re: signs of over heating ?
jds Offline

Hi. From my understanding, if your daughter is sweating then she will generally sweat (unkess she suddendly has a huge build up of scales). I think that the not sweating is due to the scale build up (therefor the sweat cannot physically excape the body). Not positive though. There are several people on the bb that are much more knowledgable than I am and can give you a more accurately reply. Hope this may have helped in some way.
Tammy
lamellar ichthyosis

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information