Topic Options
#11332 - 03/20/06 04:35 PM IV babies.... colic?
Butterfly.1 Offline

Loc: Canada
I am just curious...
My daughter had really bad colic for the first 4 months. She barely slept and cried most of the time screaming on top of her lungs. I wonder if IV could be the reason. Any idea?

#11333 - 03/20/06 07:58 PM Re: IV babies.... colic?
victoria Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Butterfly.1:
I am just curious...
My daughter had really bad colic for the first 4 months. She barely slept and cried most of the time screaming on top of her lungs. I wonder if IV could be the reason. Any idea?

Hiya
My son screamed non stop all night EVERY night to the point I was nearly always calling doctors out for him as something couldnt have been right - he had colic.......
I also think some of it is skin discomfort. Being wrapped up to warm causing him to itch ?, also on top of that his skin was like plastic and peeling off and leaking fluid as well on his back so i think a lot this has contributed. We didn't know at the time that he had ichthyosis so whether it is realted or not I cant really say but looking back now he is 18 months old I see lots of things going on which i do question is related to ichthyosis. In hind sight for an ichthyosis baby I done a lot of things wrong but I cannot change any of that no more because none of it was our fault as parents as we did not know any better or have a diagnosis.

#11334 - 03/22/06 12:17 AM Re: IV babies.... colic?
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Reflux is often mistaken for colic, too. If they are spitting up lots of stomach acid, it can really hurt their esophagus and make them miserable. It can be treated with Zantac. both of my boys were on it, and it made a huge difference. With Nathan, we went from one ounce at a time every hour to a full bottle in a feeding every 3-4 hours the day after we started the Zantac.

I seriously doubt IV had anything to do with it, as keratin doesn't have any function in the digestive tract.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#11335 - 03/22/06 10:20 PM Re: IV babies.... colic?
victoria Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Hearsay:
Reflux is often mistaken for colic, too. If they are spitting up lots of stomach acid, it can really hurt their esophagus and make them miserable. It can be treated with Zantac. both of my boys were on it, and it made a huge difference. With Nathan, we went from one ounce at a time every hour to a full bottle in a feeding every 3-4 hours the day after we started the Zantac.

I seriously doubt IV had anything to do with it, as keratin doesn't have any function in the digestive tract.

My nephew had reflux so to be cautious with Kian they gave him gaviscon powder sachets which i mixed in with each of his bottles as they did not know if it was colic or reflux but i personally think Kian had neither and was just mighty upset and uncomfortable with his skin

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information