Topic Options
#11006 - 02/07/08 02:33 AM Update on daycare and my co-op
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
I was SO nervous today! I left Jules at daycare for the first time, so I could go up and map out my co-op stuff. Apparently, she did great! She was perfectly fine with me leaving, ran around like a mad woman the whole time I was gone, and was happy to see me when I got her at 5pm! So that was a huge relief; I missed her like crazy though! And I kept thinking I left her somewhere on the drive up and back from the co-op b/c she wasn't in the car seat lol Her skin was a non-issue, and none of the kids asked any questions or made her feel bad. That was a big relief too.

The co-op is going to be GREAT. I'm so excited, I can't wait to start! I'm going to be there on Wednesdays from 10am-2pm and Fridays from 9 or 10am-12 or 1pm (depending on the activity). Mondays I'm going to participate in the morning group therapy sessions - eventually I'll be able to help lead them, and I'll definitely have an active role in guiding the session when I'm not helping run them. Then from 1-2pm on Wed. they have a staff meeting, where they review the client cases, set up strategies to help them, etc. They also have classes on Wed. to teach them different strategies. Most of the clients there are not socially able to function - they have schizophrenia, or sever bipolar, severe depression, borderline personality disorder, etc - so a lot of the classes are teaching them basic things such as hygiene or a nutritionally sound diet. Fridays will be MY group! I'll be running my own recreation group with the clients - we were talking about my doing a guided meditation session, or yoga session, or hook up with another staff member to do a music appreciation class (b/c I play guitar and violin). THAT is going to be awesome, because I'll be the one leading the class!! Plus, I'll be getting anywhere from 6-15 credits for the co-op! 15 credits is more than 1 semester, I hope I can get that much!

I'm so excited for this opportunity, and it'll really give me an edge. Most people in my position (undergraduate level with no psychiatric experience) don't get to be so involved, I really lucked out! And I think Julia will be benefiting from this socialization at daycare, and maybe push her along with her eating therapy, seeing other kids eat around her. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#11007 - 02/07/08 03:14 AM Re: Update on daycare and my co-op
shandra Offline
Dakota's mom Lamellar

Loc: Cape Coral, FL
Courtney

Im so happy for you. It will be great for her to be around other kids. And it will give you that little break where you can be around adults.

Congrats on both..

#11008 - 02/07/08 03:46 AM Re: Update on daycare and my co-op
cara&babyt Offline

Loc: Fort Walton Beach, FL,USA
Courtney,

That is just so awsome, I am so happy things are going great for you at work and Julia at daycare. You go girl, that ambition and fire and excitment is awsome. I remember how that felt when I was in school and I was so excited with every oppurtunity. Happy for you!

#11009 - 02/07/08 04:34 AM Re: Update on daycare and my co-op
momof3 Offline

Loc: SJ, CA USA
Congratulations, Courtney! I'm so happy for you...and Julia! It's so great to have a win/win situation.

I think when we shift gears a bit and have a change in the routine, great things can really happen. You feel rejuvenated and motivated, whether it be going to work, school, or just starting up a hobby or volunteer work.

Just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you and Julia today!

-Suzanne

#11010 - 02/07/08 04:35 AM Re: Update on daycare and my co-op
PsychGal Offline

Loc: By a large mountain
That type of undergraduate experience will prove invaluable when you start applying to graduate programs. It'll also provide a great opportunity to network and meet licensed professionals in the field who may later write you recommendations. I'm so excited for you! Congrats on it all!

#11011 - 02/07/08 02:14 PM Re: Update on daycare and my co-op
BraedensMom Offline

Loc: Lincoln,Ne
Courtney,
I am so happy for the both of you. I new Juila would do great. Its good for her to be with those other kids. I remember the first time I left Braeden off at pre-school. I was scared to death. He did wonderful and all I could say was, " I wish I would have done this sooner." He had a great time and the kids loved him.
I am so happy for you, I wish you all the best.
Tammy

#11012 - 02/08/08 01:09 AM Re: Update on daycare and my co-op
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
Thanks everyone!! I'm so excited to get going with the co-op, and I'm completely relieved that I can actually enjoy it knowing that Jules is fine at daycare. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information