Topic Options
#10940 - 02/07/06 05:45 PM IV
sher Offline

I've been doing alot of research into IV. I am following creams/lotion advice from what I read online here for my daugther, and new stuff for myself, so thank you for that! I have posted before that she has many lines on her palms/fingers....this is what made me question if I had a skin disorder, or just dry skin like I always thought! However, I notice on the back of her hands, where they flex (as in when crawling)....she is getting creases. Above the wrist,like where your skin would fold if you bent your hand back. Also, on her fingers where they bend...is this part of IV also? Does this mean the creams I am using are wrong for her, like I need something a bit stronger? I mainly use aquaphor and eucerin.

[This message has been edited by sher (edited February 09, 2006).]

#10941 - 03/19/06 12:44 AM Re: IV
Butterfly.1 Offline

Loc: Canada
I have IV and I just use regular lotions mostly. Yes I do have the lines on my palms and feet no matter what I do. I just found this site, so I will try lotions that everyone is suggesting. I tried many things and by now convinced there is no way to make them disappear. My daughter is 5 months now and she has it as well. It is hard to tell if she has lines on her feet and hands because they are so small.

I never met anyone wiht IV, so I am glad that there is at least one more person just like me.

[This message has been edited by Butterfly.1 (edited March 20, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Laura Phillips (edited February 02, 2008).]

#10942 - 03/19/06 04:50 AM Re: IV
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
The lines show up as the skin gets thicker. IV seems to respond well to the acid creams - salicylic, lactic, glycolic or urea/uric. The other choice is to literally file it off. Some people do well with a pumice stone. Others do better with heavy-duty nail files from a beauty supply store (we use the 100 grit ones).

I don't know if IV gets bad enough to crack and bleed, but the type we have does, and the files minimize the problem, as does having the person with ichthyosis rub themselves with one thick spot onto another.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#10943 - 03/20/06 03:10 PM Re: IV
sher Offline

I'm not sure if in IV it shows up as the skin gets thicker...only because my daughter has had the "fine lines" showing on palms and fingers since birth - and her skin (other than lines) appears normal and is soft... Also, I have lined palms, but my skin isn't thick at all....meaning doesn't look calloused or peal or anything. Just feels dry and has lines where I bend of flex, etc....

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information