Topic Options
#10703 - 01/05/06 01:39 PM Nutrogena T-Gel Shampoo
jrmiss86 Offline

Loc: Marlton, NJ, USA
Hi there,

I have been using Nutrogena T-Gel shampoo on my sons hair(he is almost one) it works great, but i am worried about how safe it is. You can def. smell the medicine and my son loves to drink the bath water out of his little bath cup and to dunk his face in the water, and he usually ends up with a mouthfull then as well. I use a visor to keep the shampoo out of his eyes when I rinse his hair. I cannot wash his hair last because I use the t-gel conditioner as well to keep the scales away so that needs time to sit in his hair. Like I said it works great for his scalp so i do not want to stop, but I am worried he will get sick.

Thanks for listening

Heather
Liz (3/16/07)

#10704 - 01/05/06 03:41 PM Re: Nutrogena T-Gel Shampoo
LauraAnn Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Hi, Heather,
I am not sure, either, about safety of T-Gel, or T-Sal, so that's why I started using Burt's Bees Feelin' Flakey? Shampoo, although, that has peppermint oil and rosemary oil in it, so here's what I do, so my 2 year old doesn't drink it: I let him soak in sea salt bath for as long as he can stand it, rinsing his head every so often with the sea salt water; then I drain the tub, lay him down, lather his head with the Burt's shampoo, let him sit in the tub and play with the water running for a few minutes, making sure that he doesn't get water on his soapy head; then I lay him down and rinse his head, and then fill the tub up again to soak longer (if he can stand it). It seems that anything we can use to keep the scaling down on our little ones' scalps might have "safety" issues, I didn't know what to do, myself, except take the more "natural" route....although I'm sure there are side effects with these ingredients, also! Hopefully, if you do your boy's hair with an empty tub, he at least won't have as much of a risk of drinking the soap. I am sorry if this advice isn't much help, I have faced the same dilemma myself, and these are the only things I could come up with! Take care, and good luck!
Laura

#10705 - 01/05/06 07:01 PM Re: Nutrogena T-Gel Shampoo
threerxli Offline

Loc: virginia
I guess I never really said anything about this, but when I use the special shampoos on my sons hair, like the t-gel, i wash their hair in the kitchen sink. I lay them down on the counter and only wash their hair to prevent it from getting in their eyes and it keeps it out of their mouths too. Head and shoulders works for my older boys that are not taking baths and can rinse it off in the shower. But, even for the older two boys, I wash their hair with the t-gel, in the sink. Plus to get the full affect, you have to leave it on their scalp for a full minute. So then they can move around a bit until its time to rinse. We do not use the t-gel every hair wash, only when their scale builds up and I have just removed it. After the t-gel, Then we use the head and shoulders to maintain their scalp and it slows the process of the build up down quite a bit for my boys.
Our routine is- baby oil on scalp, then descale with a fine tooth comb.
Then I rinse the hair only, not the scalp with dish soap to get the oil out-(over the sink, not the tub, so I can protect their eyes.) Then the t-gel. Over the sink too, wait a minute, then rinse. We then maintain the scalp with Head and Shoulders, or regualr shampoo. For my youngest, he still uses a lotion baby bath/ shampoo, for his frequent hairwashing and bathing. Definatly do not let them drink the bath water and/or get it in their eyes.

#10706 - 01/06/06 07:13 PM Re: Nutrogena T-Gel Shampoo
Angel24755 Offline

Loc: PA
I am not really sure if there are any safety issues with drinking bath water with T-Gel in it but I would say that it would probably be a good idea to teach him not to drink bath water all together. We use T-Sal and when my children were babies (and even sometimes now...my daughter is 20 months), they tried to drink the water. I would always make a silly face and so "EWW YUCKY". They would laugh and then I would get them intersted in something else. There are a lot of great bath toys out there that you can't drink out of and that can be tossed in the dishwasher to keep them clean. I think for now, I would take his bath cup away to keep him from drinking out of the cup OR turn the water on in the tub and let him drink the clean water.
Some other things to think about...
Babies and toddlers often have a tendancy to urinate in bath water.
Also...I know that in our bath water after a bath that there is a lot of Aquaphor and lotion residue floating in the tub along with skin...not exactly good for drinking.
Best of Luck...
Lisa

#10707 - 01/07/06 01:47 AM Re: Nutrogena T-Gel Shampoo
jrmiss86 Offline

Loc: Marlton, NJ, USA
Thanks for all the good advice. I tried using his aveeno baby body wash and shampoo on his hair tonight. It works great for his skin so I thought I would give it a try and only use the T-Gel to descale. I will know tomorrow if it is going to work. If it doesn't I may just have to wash his hair in an empty tub and let him play with the running water, because even without the cup he still likes to dunk his head in the water and blow bubbles, I think I have a swimmer on my hands, anywho. thanks again.

Heather
Liz (3/16/07)

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information