Topic Options
#10528 - 06/12/05 01:46 AM Using Elidel for Cradle Cap
jrmiss86 Offline

Loc: Marlton, NJ, USA
I have a four month old son who has X-Linked Ichthyosis which is related to Kallmans Syndorme. He only has dry skin on his body, which we use Johnsons Milk Lotion for, but his forhead and scalp are horrible. Our doctor recently prescribed Elidel for the scales, it seams to be working but I am worried that it will not get rid of it completely and he will forever be on the medicine or something like it. He also is constantly scratching his head and since his nail are still so sharp, no matter how often I cut them he constantly has scabs on his forhead and scalp. I am not sure what to do about this, I have tried mittens, he just gets them off, and screams until he does.
Thanks
Liz (3/16/07)

#10529 - 06/12/05 03:13 AM Re: Using Elidel for Cradle Cap
Angel24755 Offline

Loc: PA
Hi,
My three year old son and one year old daughter both have Lamellar Ichthyosis. We tried Elidel when my son was about a year and a half old. His eyes seemed to be irritated by it if we used it above his neck so we stopped use all together. You might want to try T-Sal shampoo. We use that on both our son and our daughter and that works well. After a bath we use Curel ultra healing lotion on their head (rub it in and dry off the extra with a towel) and then we use Head and shoulders leave in lotion (rub it in and then dry off the extra). This helps both of them a lot. Everyone is different but this seems to work for us. It doesnt keep all of the scales away but it helps a lot...I don't think there is any product that will give them a scale free scalp.
As far as keeping him from scratching his head...have you tried keeping a cap on him? Four month olds will usually keep a cap on (all three of mine did anyway). To me, it sounds like the dry skin is making him itchy and you might want to lotion it more often...that might do the trick as far as making him more comfortable so he doesnt scratch. When my daughter newborn (up until about 6 or 7 months old) I used to lotion her head before bed, rub it in really good, and then put a cap on her head to keep her warm and to let the lotion lay on her head. When she woke up, her scalp always looked great and her hair was almost dry (she had a ton of hair). The Curel Ultra Healing lotion has been the best I have found so far for my little ones.

#10530 - 06/12/05 06:50 AM Re: Using Elidel for Cradle Cap
ShaunaJ Offline

Loc: Ogden,Utah
My daughter has Lamellar and we used baby oil or the Johnsons baby oil gel on her head at night along with a shower cap. This helped losen the scales and kept her head from itching as bad. She is now 7 years old and still asks to have the oil put in her hair when it starts to itch bad. We also use Velvachol with 10% lactic acid mixed in. It works wonders. I wouldn't use that on a baby though, but is something to try when they are older.

Shauna
"Choose a job that you LOVE and
you'll never WORK a day in your life!"

#10531 - 06/12/05 02:30 PM Re: Using Elidel for Cradle Cap
jrmiss86 Offline

Thanks,

We have tried using a cap, and he is able to get it off and has been able to do so since the hospital. I am sure that he is scratching his head because it is itchy. But I have also seen him do it when he is going to sleep. Another factor is because of the Kallmans syndrome he has mirror movements of the hands, so when one hand does something so does the other hand, so if one hand is scratching his head, or even playing with his hair, the other side is to. We will try some of the lotions that were mentioned. Thanks again
Liz (3/16/07)

#10532 - 06/12/05 03:41 PM Re: Using Elidel for Cradle Cap
Angel24755 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jrmiss86:
Thanks,

We have tried using a cap, and he is able to get it off and has been able to do so since the hospital. I am sure that he is scratching his head because it is itchy. But I have also seen him do it when he is going to sleep. Another factor is because of the Kallmans syndrome he has mirror movements of the hands, so when one hand does something so does the other hand, so if one hand is scratching his head, or even playing with his hair, the other side is to. We will try some of the lotions that were mentioned. Thanks again

Have you spoken to your doctor or dermatologist about medication for bedtime to minimize the itching while he is sleeping? My daughter takes atarax before bed to help her with itching...otherwise she is miserable. My son took it until he was about 2 and a half and now only takes it when he is sick because he gets really dry when he is sick.
Another thought...you might be able to find a sunhat that ties under his chin just for use while you are in the house so that he doesnt scratch all of the time. I think you will find that as he gets older and moves around more he will be busy playing and less interested in scratching (that has been our experience anyway).
Best of luck!
Lisa

#10533 - 06/17/05 10:53 AM Re: Using Elidel for Cradle Cap
jrmiss86 Offline

Thanks for the advice. I tried the curell lotion on my sons head, and it seems to be working great so far. And it doesn't leave his hair too greasy.
Liz (3/16/07)

#10534 - 06/17/05 02:45 PM Re: Using Elidel for Cradle Cap
Angel24755 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jrmiss86:
Thanks for the advice. I tried the curell lotion on my sons head, and it seems to be working great so far. And it doesn't leave his hair too greasy.

I am so glad it is working for you! The curel ultra healing lotion is by far the best we have found so far when it comes to lotions!
Lisa

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information