Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10501 - 05/28/05 01:46 PM Pregnancy- baby with Ichthyosis & without....
robinlynn9901 Offline

Loc: Scotia, NY, USA
Hi, I have two boys and am 33 weeks preganant with my third [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] This new baby is so active, and its a lot of fun, but it makes me wonder about him. Has anyone who has had kids with and without Ichthyosis (I have EHK and so do my first two boys)noticed a difference in the pregnancies?

For example with my first two, I was very tired and had excessive trouble with swelling and blistering of my legs. By 33 weeks with my first two I was ready to deliver and just exsausted. With this little guy I have so much energy and I feel great. Ive had some but not severe trouble with my legs and this baby is so active, and my first two moved around, but not like this!

Now we dont know if this baby has EHK, but I wonder if maybe he doesn't becuase the pregnancy is so different. I know each pregnancy is different, but maybe there is a connection. Anyone experienced these things?

#10502 - 05/28/05 02:19 PM Re: Pregnancy- baby with Ichthyosis & without....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe it's a girl this time? Aren't girl babies normally bigger and stronger at birth then boys? Just a guess. Let us know how things go.
Keith.

#10503 - 05/28/05 05:57 PM Re: Pregnancy- baby with Ichthyosis & without....
ShaunaJ Offline

Loc: Ogden,Utah
Ryley has LI, but I do recall her being less active then the other two who don't have Ich. I always worried there was something wrong because she didn't move around as much as the first child. I think the doctor was tired of me and my worries. That is all I noticed that was different though. Keep us up to date though!

Shauna
"Choose a job that you LOVE and
you'll never WORK a day in your life!"

#10504 - 05/28/05 09:22 PM Re: Pregnancy- baby with Ichthyosis & without....
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
I don't know that you could tell if a child has ichthyosis or not just from the activity levels. The skin doesn't develop the keratin layer until well into the 3rd trimester. In the womb, the skin is well hydrated and the child is kept warm by mom's insulation, so all of the problems they have after birth shouldn't play a role - especially in the case of EHK.

Nathan (affected) was a pretty quiet baby, but I've had friends that had very active boys and girls, so gender isn't reliably determined that way, either.

Have you done the genetics for your EHK? If you have, you could tell by doing amniocentesis.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#10505 - 05/29/05 10:41 AM Re: Pregnancy- baby with Ichthyosis & without....
Deidra Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Ohio USA
Hi, Without testing, I doubt if there is really a way of telling whether a baby has ichthysosis during pregnancy or not. I will say my first son is ichthyosis free and 20 months older than my second son. I can remember rubbing my belly with my second son, who has EHK, and telling him, "We love you baby, we want you to be ok." I'm not completely sure what I thought was wrong, but I knew something was. I think the main reason was, how little he moved.
Good luck with the remainder of your pregnancy. Almost there now! I bet you can't wait to meet your new baby.
Dee

[This message has been edited by Deidra (edited May 29, 2005).]

#10506 - 05/29/05 03:28 PM Re: Pregnancy- baby with Ichthyosis & without....
robinlynn9901 Offline

Loc: Scotia, NY, USA
thank you for your replies. It really is wonderful knowing I can post a concern or question and ill get some answers & support from all of you.

First I'll say, this baby is definatly a boy [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] We've seen crystal clear [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] so the gender thing isnt the issue, although we though it may be before we found out he was a boy.

I know we could definatly find out through an amnio, but im not interested in any prenatal testing for that purpose. But thank you for that suggestion.

Overall I feel this baby is just different. He may have a good strong personality or he simply doesnt have the skin condition- which would be a whole new experience for me [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

I guess we will just wait and see [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Yes we are so excited to meet our little one- especially cause hes so different than my boys were. Yesterday he gave me a good swift kick in the ribs... the first time ive ever experienced that!

I will update everyone. For now I can say our little one will be here in 4 weeks unless some issues with his other medical problems change and we have to deliver earlier.

Thank you all for your support.

#10507 - 05/29/05 11:05 PM Re: Pregnancy- baby with Ichthyosis & without....
Lisa for Jake Offline

Loc: Manchester, England
my two pregnancies were totally different, with alex my first, i had a great pregnancy, he was very active, i "bloomed", had a few weeks of morning sickness, but on the whole felt great, he was born 2 weeks late after six hours of labour, jake was born 2 weeks early, i felt sick almost every day until his birth, i had to be induced because i started to bleed, i thought i had gone into labour, but then it all stopped. I was in labour with jake for 2days, alex was delivered by ventouse, and jake with forceps. i guess i am not too good at the "push" i couldnt get either of em out for the life of me. with alex i had gas and air,,,,with jake i had the same and pethadine,,,,,,not sure if that made it a little more difficult for him, the doctor wanted to send me for an epidural with jake,(something i didnt really want) but luckily i didnt need one. gosh i do ramble, take care

#10508 - 07/17/05 07:12 PM Re: Pregnancy- baby with Ichthyosis & without....
Veronique Offline

Loc: Rheden, the netherlands
ok, it isn't relevant for the person starting this topic,anymore, since her baby is born "long time ago" now... Just wanted to mention in my case the baby with EHK (the youngest)was very much more lively during the pregnancy than the oldest, who doesn't have EHK. Aparently it says more of caracter than anything else. They are both girls by the way.

#10509 - 07/18/05 02:07 AM Re: Pregnancy- baby with Ichthyosis & without....
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Actually, it probably isn't that far off. Her due date had to be this past week. I hope Robin comes back soon to let us know.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#10510 - 07/20/05 03:53 PM Re: Pregnancy- baby with Ichthyosis & without....
toyahmiss Offline

Loc: Etobicoke, ON, Canada
This thread brings up something I had always wondered about too. My first (with ich) moved well when I was pregnant with her to start with but then this dropped dramatically, and in hindsight she hardly moved at all towards the end. I was worried, but I was a first time mum and had no reason to suspect anything and the docs/nurses can be quite impatient I find if you ask lots of questions. With the 2 after (no ichthyosis) I couldn't believe how much they moved/rolled etc. I felt sad that I hadn't been strong enough to ask more questions when I thought something wasn't right, but I was newly married in a new country, no family or friends to talk to either.

That's why I always say, ask and question, push and cajole to get what you need.

So even though I had no test avaialable and nothing but the level of movement to go on with the last 2, I had a secret hope that they were okay and they were.

It would be interesting to see whether this anecdotal evidence supports less/no movement = higher risk of ichthy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information