Topic Options
#10427 - 02/27/05 12:01 AM Lachydrin "help"
gail Offline

Loc: england
Hi I am from England and can not get a hold of Lachydrin I have two boys with xli, I used it a few years ago and it was great for their skin, but doctors can not get it any more. is there any thing the same I can use instead.
thanks.

#10428 - 05/22/05 04:01 AM Re: Lachydrin "help"
SusieL Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I believe it is much the same as Amlactin we have over-the-counter here in the states. I don't know if that is available where you are either, though you may be able to order either of these products online...
Good luck!
Susie

Daughter, Emma born 9/2001 -unaffected
Son, Andrej born 8/2003 - has Lamellar Ichthyosis
Daughter, Tori born 3/2006 - has Lamellar Ichthyosis

#10429 - 05/22/05 12:55 PM Re: Lachydrin "help"
Connor Offline

Loc: Kansas City KS
Hi Gail,
Im from england too, Bristol to be exact. My mum is an xlinked carrier so my brother and I have xich. Have a sister and another brother too but my younger brother seems to be clear and were unsure about sister unless she has test. How old are your two boys?? My brother and me are now 24 and 26 respectively. Where about in England are u from?? Back to your question.... U can get Lachydrin but as said above u will have to buy Amlactin. Its exactly the same but cheaper. I get mine from www.dermadoctor.com, just go to search by brand. I buy the 4.9oz tube of AmLac 12% (green cap) and sometimes get the larger lotion bottle. Because of customs and end of life of product I recommend buying about 4 or 5 tubes per child each time. The lotion Amlac can be bought whenever but will generally last a very long time so just start with 1 bottle. U may wanna try using the 1:1 glycerin/water mix on their skin as well. Especially in the summer time i find that a quick spray on my skin leaves it very soft and its not as heavy as cream. Funnily enough it must work well as my skin feels cool on warm days showing that it may actually help with temp control as Im sure u may have found that whilst sat still ur boys skin (hands feet) get very cold. When active however they may get extremely hot, body temp seems to be directly related to how hard were working (internal) rather than adjusting to suit outside conditions.
Any way I hope thats enough info. By way did u ever try a cream called calmurid?? this is a urea 10% and lachydrin 5% cream which u can get from UK. I found that worked well but not as well as the AMlac.
Bye for now.

#10430 - 06/12/05 08:52 PM Re: Lachydrin "help"
gail Offline

Loc: england
Thankyou Connor and Susiet for all your help.
I work in a chemist so I will find information on the creams.
My boys are 7 and 9 years old and they are a hand full, the skin is fairly good in the summer and bad in the winter, but I have noticed they never get head lice thats going around school, because of their scalp which is a good thing, and they never get biten by insects, so there are some benefits having x-linked.
Gail

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information