sports

Posted by: jds

sports - 12/31/05 07:49 PM

My husband has been asking me the effects ichthyosis could have on my son playing sports (anything from football to water skiing). I know that my son has problems with overheating now (though he still is a newborn- I am under the impression that this will probably continue as he ages). Also, is there a worry about getting an infection from swimming in pools or lakes? Since I am a new mom and just beginning to scrap the surface on my knowledge of ichthyosis, I would appreciate any advice you have to offer.
Posted by: Sofie

Re: sports - 01/01/06 10:32 AM

Hi jds
A happy new year to you and your family!
If I am not mistaken most babies always have problems with overheating. However, it is true for many people with Ichthyosis that they have to be careful when the temperatures rise and when they do sports. Personally (I have LI) I do overheat easily but always managed to do some kind of sports. I had to learn though when to stop.
All the best,
Sofie

[This message has been edited by Sofie (edited January 02, 2006).]
Posted by: Les Avakian

Re: sports - 01/02/06 03:30 AM

Hello JDS and Sofie
What type of ichthyosis does your son have?X linked is one of the milder forms of ichthyosis,and I was able to play every competive sports available.In the summertime,most x linked affected people will shed their scales and dryness, so my sweating and overheating was not a problem. Its in the winter months where I was affected most,when the skin is tight and scaling, and mostly the types of sports where running was constant.I loved basketball and soccer, but had to watch my energy level.Once overheating began,I would slow up my pace,conserve energy,and back off.Cross country running was the ultimate and I hated it with a passion.The ironic thing is I never associated overheating with x linked ichthyosis until I read some of the posts by others on this board, so a special thanks goes out to all who helped me understand.JDS, your son will naturally find a happy medium to be competitive and not overexert too much energy.Thanks again for your post.
Sincerely,
Les
Posted by: bubba-810

Re: sports - 01/17/06 05:04 AM

My two little ones have LI and they definitely run hot. Usually in the summer time my son loves to go play at the park, run around after the dogs, typical toddler stuff. You will see when he begins to when he overheats (face is flushed, red, and even body) and adult intervention is needed. Nothing extreme. We keep a cold drink handy and when we know he is going out to play in the heat, we pack an extra tee shirt or washcloth in a ziplock bag and put ice in with it. Eventually the ice begins to melt and yes the shirt gets wet, but when he begins to over heat we take the shirt he has on, off, and put the cool, wet one on. Off he goes. It brings his temp down, moisturizes his skin, and he can continue to play. Put the shirt you just took off and put it in the ziplock bag to be ready to cool him down again. If necessary, sit him down for a break with a cool drink, snack, and place the cool,wet washcloth on his neck or on top of his head to help. The cool wet shirt you just put on will be dried out when he comes back. This works pretty good for the hot summer days. Winter time we seldom find him overheating. On occasion, if we leave his winter coat on to run in the store he will get flushed. We have to take the coat off.
Pools and lakes. We have taken both our kids to public swimming pool recreation centers and have them in our personal pool and never ran into problems with infections. Swimming in lakes would only concern me if they had open or healing wounds. The only concerns with swimming is definitely use a waterproof sunblock with a high SPF rating 45+ and when they come out of the pool or lake give them a fresh water rinse and lube them up right away. The only thing I have heard is the chlorine and other chemicals put in pools really dries them out. Hope this helps.
Posted by: LauraAnn

Re: sports - 01/17/06 07:34 PM

Yes, regarding sports, how do I know IF my boys are overheating? (they are rxli)
My six year old refuses to admit he's too hot.
Maybe he's not?
After a bit of vigorous exercise he is noticeably RED, I usually make him sit for a while, he argues, hates it, but I worry.
So, how do I know, what are some good things to look for?
Posted by: noryglory

Re: sports - 01/18/06 11:08 PM

I was just telling someone last night that my 5 1/2 yo son is the only one who gets hot and sweaty after playing at Kindergarten recess...I always thought it was because he is so much more active and "sporty" than the other kids (which I think IS part of it) but I never thought about the fact that his IV could play a part in that. He always seems to be just fine, but he definitely runs hot! He plays all the sports he wants to and never has a problem though.

I don't think I would worry too much about it, unless you see something that troubles you. Kids don't seem to mind the things adults sometimes do (being hot, cold, wet, etc!)...
Posted by: snowstorm

Re: sports - 01/26/06 11:01 AM

As long as the overheating is kept in control there is no reason for the children to stop doing sports.

I have been doing Karate and general Martial Arts for about 15 years. My sensei knows I have problems but I drink about a litre of water over a two hours''sweat' session (really heavy sessions!) otherwise I drink about half a litre on a 'normal' exercise night.
Posted by: wazupper

Re: sports - 03/05/06 03:53 AM

My own case isnt too mbad but i have to lotion up at least once everyday but i noticed when i play sports i dont have ne problems with overheating... the only time i did was when i was an alter server and had to kneel w/o ne thing to lean on... this is what use to make me break out in cold sweats and over heat.. so i guess wat im saying is that holding in a stationary position flexing the same muscle for a while is what can cause it
Posted by: Obskua

Re: sports - 02/13/07 01:59 PM

Sport will build self esteem and help your kid live with icthyosis, it helped me.
I played soccer very competitively and almost made the state team. 'Course I overheated like a cruiser without a radiator and my face looked like a beetroot, but sometime's I would (and still do) go til I'm about to pass out.
Just remember to keep the fluids and healthy foods up.

Sport also helped me make some good mates who accepted me for me and looked over the fact that I had different skin, it was a great experience overall.

But with the sport as well as the swimming I guess it depends on how serious the icthyosis is. Just remember to know when he's had enough and to inform the coach of it too.

Re: sports - 02/14/07 12:25 AM

Thanks. I appreciate your input. My little guy is only 1 but I am always looking toward the future. I think it's the teacher in me. Again, thanks and welcome to the board.
Posted by: bambam23

Re: sports - 02/26/07 06:58 AM

hi
I am new to the board but I have ich..I am 23yrs old now and my experience with ich and sports while growing up was interesting.while in elementary school I could play any sport I wanted up to about the age of 17..thats when physical sports such as football,soccer etc..any kind of sport that has to do with hitting, kicking etc..became a problem. I now get open sores (wounds) on the lower part of my legs (calves/shins) and feet..so I dont know much about the type of ich ur son has but that has been my experience with my type of ich which is volgaris..and with swimming my derm told me to avoid water as much as possible which I understand now,cause growing up of course u bathe and I found there were problems everytime I did my skin would hurt really bad after even after applying lotion,actually I use aquaphor works the best out of everything I ever tried..its wonderful stuff..I hope I kind of helped. thanks

Re: sports - 02/26/07 12:44 PM

Thank you and welcome to the board. Any advice from people who actually have ichthyosis or experience with someone who has it is always very helpful. Good luck managing your skin care. I kow from my son it is much trial and error and the trial again. Have a great morning.
Posted by: Borednow

Re: sports - 03/21/07 03:23 PM

Thinking back to when I was a kid.....

Summer stuff on the grass was a real pain for me, I overheated very quickly which for me resulted in a banging headache, add that to the hayfever and what the useless docs later found out was asthma and it was no fun at all, PE teachers used to tell me I was unfit all the time and it was very depressing! It was all so bad because of THEIR lack of education, they chose not to find out if my skin condition could be the cause of my so called 'unfitness'.

Winter had its own problems with overheating and extra sore skin, but... I did have one magic moment at school, we went out one winter when I was 14 for the weekly cross-country run, freezing cold day and as usual I was at the back, this was to be a two hour run but about 20 mins into it the heavens opened and it poured down like I had never seen it before, the rain was an absolute godsend for me, within twenty mins I was at the head of the field and won the race by over ten minutes from the second place :-)) That day I proved to the whole school I was not unfit, they still didnt understand my condition but it gave me the biggest smile for weeks, at 38 I still go for a run every now and then.......but only if its raining!

Basically what I'm saying is make sure that ALL the teachers, friends parents, friends themselves, and you as the parents know what other symptoms that cant be outwardly seen can arrise, no doubt they wont be the same for everyone but so long as everyone is aware of the limits and symptoms there's no reason why your little one cant enjoy a wise variety of sports :-)

Kev.