Pregnant with EHK

Posted by: samehk

Pregnant with EHK - 07/25/10 05:01 PM

I recently found out I was pregnant. I have EHK, as does my mother, and this baby will have a 50/50 percent chance of the condition.
I know the stressful things I've been through in my life and I just don't want my baby resenting things at such an early age. The awkwardness when people point out your different or the overheating in gym glass, the staff infections. I know I'm being negative but I just want the best for my baby and to not have to go through the same things I did.
Does anybody have any advice on positivity in this circumstance? It would be reallllly helpful. I'm 18 so I know my life perspective could be a little off, I just want to feel a little better about the situation.
I'm going to be getting the genetic testing done at 3 months
Posted by: Lperez520

Re: Pregnant with EHK - 09/04/10 02:41 AM

hello sam i have ehk and i have a 3 year old daughter who was born unaffected ...i am the only one in my family with ehk my mother nor my father nor my sister have it ..iam currently 5 weeks pregnant with my second child and i wonder too will my baby be born with my condition ehk ..did u find out with genetic testing if your child will carry ehk
Posted by: Melanie UK

Re: Pregnant with EHK - 09/05/10 01:22 AM

Hi, I'm Melanie and I too have EHK. I already have a son, Daniel who was born unffected and I'm currently 15 weeks pregnant with my second child. I too often wonder if my baby will be affected as there is a 50% chance that the baby will be affected, but at the same time I try my best not to dwell on it and try to focus my energy on enjoying my pregnancy as best I can smile sometimes it can be difficult I know, but I try to stay positive. My husband and I were offered an amnio test to find out if the baby is affected , but as with my first pregnancy we declined the offer as it wouldn't make any difference to us whether the baby is affected or not, that plus the fact there is a risk with the test too.

I too am the only member of my family that we are aware of that has EHK. I have 3 sisters too and none of them are affected either.

I hope you are both keeping well though and wish you both all the very best with your pregnancy. Please feel free to contact me via here if you would like to chat, it would be lovely if we could keep in touch. It would be nice to talk to others who are going through the same as myself to share our experience and thoughts/concerns.

Take care
Melanie xx