tip for long distance drive

Posted by: Lauren

tip for long distance drive - 03/09/10 07:02 PM

Hi everyone!
would you give a any tip for long distance drive with 2 years old baby with EHK? We are going to go to FL for conference this year and we dicided to drive there. But I am worry that long time sitting in the car might be harm(blister) for our daughter who has EHK. Please help me out!!! Thank you!!
Posted by: snackmom

Re: tip for long distance drive - 03/09/10 07:58 PM

I am not sure how far you will be traveling, but we occasionally take a 4-5 hour drive to visit family with David. He will be 3 in April and as he has gotten older he has ended up with less blisters from the trip. I generally like to make sure part of the trip is a rest period for both of my kids for my own sanity! smile The only thing I concern myself with as far as EHK goes is making sure to stop along the way to relieve some of the pressure. We will stop to eat, or shop, or play in a park. Also I make sure I have creams readily available incase he gets a terrible case of the itchys (if it is really bad a little benedryl). The only other thing I try to do is space out the times that he has to be in his car seat, so our trips are usually over a long weekend.

If you have any questions let me know, I am happy to help if I can. Good luck!

Christine

Re: tip for long distance drive - 03/09/10 08:21 PM

Thank you Christine.. I am in Chicago so it will take us about 20 hours to get there. I still not too sure if this is something that we can do with Lauren........

Ji
Posted by: snackmom

Re: tip for long distance drive - 03/09/10 09:08 PM

Wow that is a super long trip! We are in PA and have talked about going to the conference this year, but have decided to pass. Are you planning an overnight somewhere in between? I get extremely anxious in unfamiliar places and with David there are way too many unknowns for my own well being. I am sure that as he gets older it will get easier.

When he was smaller we had an added layer of cushion in his carseat to help a little. I think it is called a kiddopotamus? Maybe something to consider looking into, but I am not sure how it would work or if they have them for the forward facing car seats.

Christine

Re: tip for long distance drive - 03/09/10 11:06 PM

We must overnight somewhere in between. I was thinking to add extra padding to car seat too! Thank you for the info!

Ji
Posted by: Martika

Re: tip for long distance drive - 03/25/10 11:31 PM

ahhhh! I wish I could go to the conference but that would require flying cross country. lol. I used to take long drives w/my parents and it was about a 24 hr trip to get from Ark out here to socal and we would just stop and lotion up, and if there were any blisters we'd take care of them. Sure I was older, a teen at the time but I still had to deal with that, AND the overheating that came with no rear ac.