LAC-HYDRIN...ONCE AGAIN

Posted by: libby

LAC-HYDRIN...ONCE AGAIN - 09/20/07 01:47 PM

OK, I HAD TO POST! MY DAUGHTER HAS FINALLY DECIDED TO GIVE LAC-HYDRIN A TRY ONCE AGAIN. ONLY THIS TIME WE MIXED GLYCERIN IN WITH IT. WOW, TALK ABOUT A MAJOR CHANGE IN HER SKIN. HER LEGS, ARMS, AND STOMACH LOOK AWESOME. I ONLY WISH SHE WOULD USE IT ON HER FACE AND EARS! SHE IS ALSO TAKING VERY QUICK SHOWERS EVERY MORNING, SO MAYBE THAT IS HELPING AS WELL? I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF HER SKIN CONTINUES TO STAY AS NICE AS IT IS! COOL DRY AIR IS HERE, SO IT MAY NOT LAST TOO LONG.......OR, WE MAY JUST BE ON TO SOMETHING GREAT HERE!
Posted by: wva

Re: LAC-HYDRIN...ONCE AGAIN - 09/20/07 06:16 PM

That sounds great. I have LI and my mom used glycerin on me as a child and I use it still, always mixed in with my creams to help get the most benefit out of the creams that I am using. Good luck and God bless! [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
Posted by: Hannah's Mom

Re: LAC-HYDRIN...ONCE AGAIN - 09/20/07 09:13 PM

So happy to hear you're having success. Hannah's is taking a turn for the worse after a fantastic summer. Thinking it may have to do with the change of season and not swimming almost daily as we did the past few months. Can I ask about the glycerin you add? Where do you get it and do you just add it to everything like Cetaphil, etc? We had tried Lac-Hydrin about five years ago but she said it burned a bit. Might have to give it another go.

Re: LAC-HYDRIN...ONCE AGAIN - 09/21/07 12:49 PM

Claire also did not like the burning or stinging associated with lac-hydrin so we stopped using it (it would actually bring her to tears). But, mixing it with glycerin seems to be the trick!

You can mix the glycerin with anything. I bought the little bottle that we have at CVS. It is readily available at any drug store.

Now if only I could figure out to get her scalp and ears somewhat under control!

Lib
Posted by: pauline5

Re: LAC-HYDRIN...ONCE AGAIN - 09/23/07 05:16 AM

I would be very careful using lactic acids on the ears...they are such a sensitive area...

Pauline

Re: LAC-HYDRIN...ONCE AGAIN - 09/23/07 05:10 PM

Libby is right that glycerin can be bought at any drug store or even Walmart (though the employees there might not even know that they carry it so you have to look for it on your own--my personal experience). It is best to add it to thicker creams and if you can make extra to let it set for a couple days or more it actually molds together the longer it sits. I use it in my St. Ives Mineral Therapy (about 9 ounces glycerin). It comes in a squirt container. But, it is sooo thick that the best way to mix it is to dump it all into a medium large bowl and put the glycerin in the Mineral Therapy container and shake it to make the rest of the lotion and glycerin come back out and pour it into the bowl of lotion then stir it up. I agree with Pauline about the lactic acids. It has caused me a lot more pain than comfort, especially as a child. That is why I choose the over the counter products that I use. The change of season gets to me really bad, even before other family members realize that there is much of a change of season starting. With ich we can predict weather changes better than any weather man. Good luck to Hannah. I hope that Claire continues to have success. I know that I really dread winter. I wish all these kids with ich didn't have to dread it like I do. I think the snow is beautiful and Christmas is my favorite time of year. It's just that the weather gets so harsh on ich. Good luck and God bless!! [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Re: LAC-HYDRIN...ONCE AGAIN - 09/24/07 12:03 PM

Claire still looks pretty good!!! Her back is starting to peel, but that is normal for her in Sept. due to the change in the weather. Hopefully she won't experience it on her face as bad as she did last year. If it does happen, does anyone have any suggestions? We do not put the lac-hydrin on her face or ears. Like Pauline had said, those two areas are way too sensitive.

Lib

Re: LAC-HYDRIN...ONCE AGAIN - 09/24/07 06:20 PM

Just get a good thick cream moisturizer that you like for her and add glycerin to it (maybe about 1/3 to half the amount of glycerin like a 12 oz cream with 4 to 6 oz glycerin) and moisturize. When going outside into the cold use petroleum jelly lightly on her face and even her whole body. From personal experience, if I put petroleum jelly on too thick it makes my face itch. Try to avoid taking her out into the cold within under two hours of a bath or shower. Going out in the cold shortly after a shower dries me out really quick.