Accutane Long-term Side Effects

Posted by: adh01au

Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 03/24/01 02:48 AM

More and more people like myself, who have taken Accutane are now having terrible problems years down the tract. Some problems that present during therapy do not go away when it finishes. Others do not emerge until years after therapy has finished. If you have had some problems check out:
www.roaccutaneaction.com (UK) www.roaccutanesurvivors.com (AUS)
Posted by: Glori

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 03/25/01 05:41 AM

Thanks for the links. I totally understand the reasons that people use Soriatane and Accutane, but I am personally a pretty big wimp. I have enough problems in life without worrying what a pill is going to do to me, and I am just afraid of the drugs.
I think it's really important the people know what they are getting into with these drugs, and with this kind of information available, they will be more apt to pay attention to something that's out of the norm and hopefully seek guidance from their doctor before things have a chance to get worse.
Posted by: Lisa Marie

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 03/27/01 05:19 PM

I just wanted to comment that I've been taking Accutane for over 13 years with absolutely no side effects. I take 80mg a day, which is a lot more than I've heard anyone else on this site take. My only concern is having children and how long I have to be off the drug before doing so. If anyone has any knowledge of this, please let me know.
Lisa Marie
Posted by: NormJb4Wahoos

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 03/28/01 07:03 AM

I Have been taking accutane since I was 11 yrs old. I will be 34 in May of this year. I have had no long term side effects from accutane. I take 80mg. a day. i love Accutane, it has been a life saver.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 03/28/01 02:55 PM

I know you have all heard this before, but I couldn't let there only be "good" posts about accutane on this subject. I took accutane for 10 years, it was much higher then 80 mg. 10 years later I am still having terrible side effects related to my skeletal structure not to mention the problems with my eyes. Recently, mind you this is 10 years after stopping the drug, I have developed urticaria which I now have to take zyrtec for everyday. Some people can take this drug with no problems and some people can't.
Keith.
Posted by: Chandra

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 03/28/01 08:38 PM

I posted a long time ago requesting input from people on Accutane and Soriatane. What I didn't mention (and now seems relevant on this topic) was that I too Accutane for approximately 6 months to 1 year. I stopped taking it when I was 13. I had the following side effects:

terrible pain in my spine & knees
bloody noses
worsened depression

I was put on another drug for my skin, that I vaguely think sounds like methotrexate. I am not sure if that's the name but I know it was not Accutane or Soriatane. The effects I had were severe nauseau and stomache pain. I lasted for about 3 months taking it before I stopped as I went from a size 12 to a size 8 in a matter of six weeks. Some people might like that thought but when you realize it's because it hurt to eat (and not to eat) and the only thing I could handle eating was rice cakes, you'd realize that is not a healthy way to loose weight.

My older sister and I usually experience a lot of drug side effects when we take anything for longer than 3 days.

Everyone responds differently to drug therapies. I've gotten to the point where I pretty much agree with Glori. In my mind, if the detriments outweight the benefits then don't take it, and if it's for purely cosmetic reasons and doesn't help you feel better, don't take it. If you find the side effects are worth it, go for it, but personally I find that there's very little the drugs can do for me that repeated bathing and creaming can't do. A little more time in my daily routines is far better than not being able to eat or hurting all the time.

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 04/10/01 03:21 PM

The Roche website indicates a waiting period of one month before getting pregnant. Of course, they also say to wait one month before donating blood, but there are no blood donation centers that I know of that will let you donate blood ever again if you have taken Accutane or Soriatane even once.
For further information on Roche's warnings on Accutane, go here: http://www.rocheusa.com/products/accutane/pi.html
Posted by: Kellly

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 04/18/01 05:19 PM

O.K. I'm new here but I have to put my 2 cents worth on Accutane in here.

I was part of the experimental protol back in the early 80's when I was 9 years old. I wouldn't recommend Accutane for anyone and it had played havoc with my bones. I've had MAJOR knee surgery and my leg bows inward when I was 16 years old. I have severe pain in that leg as a result. My eyes haven't been the same, my skin got drier and drier and drier. Blood tests everyother week. I could go on.

I do understand that the doctors were at a loss as what to do with me, and i also know that a lot of improvements have been made with the drug and if you have improvement with your skin I'm happy for you. but the long term effects weigh out the short term effects. As far as pregnancy goes, I've had 3 children and you need to wait at least 5 years AFTER your last dose in order to insure no birth defects (at least Accutane wise.) Those were the stats given to me. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

MY 2 cents worth for what it's worth

Kelly

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 04/19/01 11:19 AM

Kelly - Where did you hear that a person had to be off Accutane five years to ensure birth deffects? I was told one month. I have been on Accutane 13 years with no problems. I am taking less Accuatane in hopes of coming off totally to have children in a few years. Did the Accutane affect your children? Do they all have Ichthyosis?
Lisa
Posted by: Kellly

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 04/19/01 03:22 PM

- Where did you hear that a person had to be off Accutane five years to ensure birth deffects? I was told one month. Did the Accutane affect your children? Do they all have Ichthyosis?
Hi Lisa Marie..

I was told by the doctors who put my on the protcol way back in the 80's. Like I said in my previous post, I think that has changed. But the drug lasts in your system for at least 2 months. But that was what I and my parents were told. So when I got pregnant with my daughter Nichole who is now 7, I was terrified because I had heard all these horror stories about birth defects resulting from Accutane.

The Accutane did not affect the children and no NONE (as I'm extremely happy to say) have Epidermolytic Hyperkeratosis. But I am surprised that your doctor put you on Accutane as you are probably of child bearing ages. I'm told that unless I get a doctor's letter telling them that I had a tubal I cannot go on any other medications for my skin in fear of an "accidental" pregnancy..

Kelly
Posted by: Laura Phillips

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 04/20/01 02:54 PM

I think different doctors take different approaches, in terms of how long they say you need to be off Accutane before trying to get pregnant. However, I've never heard anything longer than several months (one to two months seems to be the most common that I've heard)--five years really surprises me. I'd follow whatever your doctor tells you.

In terms of a minimum of two months to clear your system, I think that's just an estimate too. Everyone's body is different. When I was part of the last clinical trials that Roche did before Accutane was approved and I was having blood work done ALL THE TIME, it took me little more than 2 weeks to show no signs of Accutane once I stopped taking it.
Posted by: Rosalie

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 04/20/01 09:56 PM

I'm not sure what the difference is between accutane and soriatane. But with soriatane you are supposed to wait for two years. The fact is that the harmfull parts can get into your 'fatcells', alcohol can influence this among other things. This means that the amount of time you should wait is different for everyone. I wouldn't trust the docters to much. My derm thinks alcohol is only harmful to my liver and he NEVER told me that I shouldn't take more than the daily recommende doses of vitamin A. Maybe the information that Roche gives is the most reliable at the moment.

The (often severe) side-effects are also different for every person. My mother and I both have EHK and I have been taking soriatane for more then ten years. She had to stop because of 'bone-side effects'.
If you consider taking a retinoid don't forget that it can be 'addictive' in a sense that your skin can look so good that you want to keep on using the 'drugs' no matter what!

[This message has been edited by Rosalie (edited April 20, 2001).]

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 04/21/01 05:43 AM

I was approached in the 80's when I was 12, by the University of Michigan, to be in the test trials for Accutane. My dad went with me and sat there with me, but he wanted this decision to be my own. I was told I would have to wait five years to become pregnant and was told all of the side effects and chose not to do it because I just couldn't imagine where my life would be so many years later. I knew I couldn't sit there at 12 and say that I had no intention of having children until in my late 20's (as they wanted me on the drug for five years, and then a five year waiting period).
I'm sure things have changed with the waiting period and all that, and Laura's right, every doctor is different. One doctor who offered it to me wanted me to sign a legal document swearing that I would not become pregnant, always use two forms of birth control, and immediately obtain an abortion if I became pregnant during the course of the drugs or within the waiting period after. I turned down that offer [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
Other doctors have been quite flippant about the whole Accutane thing, telling my I am a fool not to take it.
The only thing I know for a fact is that if I take it just one time, I can never donate blood again and that is the one thing I am not willing to give up in my life.
I strongly suggest that for the best information, go straight to the horse's mouth and go to the Roche web site. They are constantly updating their Accutane and Soriatane information, including the data on side affects and the positive results, to reflect their most current statistics.

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 04/23/01 07:00 PM

pregnancy and Accutane has historically been a very big deal (I'm not sure what the technical difference is between Accutane and Soriatane either--the extent of my knowledge is that Soriatane is an "updated" version of Accutane but still very similar).

Accutane almost became an "orphan drug" a few years ago (okay, maybe it was more like 10 [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] ). So many young people were taking Accutane for acne and getting pregnant while they were taking it...and then either having grossly deformed babies or were being counseled to have abortions (whole 'nother issue of very pro-life physicians feeling that they had to counsel very pro-life patients that their ONLY option in this situation was abortion). This whole situation led the FDA to come VERY close to taking Accutane off the market (though it still would have been available as an "orphan" drug for specific approved uses, much the way you can still get thalidamide. Though this would hardly be a preferable situation for people with ichthyosis who wanted/needed to use Accutane).

In the wake of those problems arose much of the precautionary (sometimes overly precautionary) protocols that doctors are using today. The signed waiver about using two forms of birth control, not getting pregnant, and agreeing to have an abortion if you did become pregnant? Roche had to implement that as a way of pacifying the FDA to keep Accutane on the market.

Now, that "crisis" has passed and the protocols for Accutane and pregnancy (waivers, birth controls, waiting period before intentionally getting pregnant, etc) are starting to really vary from doctor to doctor. That's why you may hear any number of a variety of recommendations and need to follow whatever your doctor counsels you (and if you have an issue with that, get a second opinion from another doctor--don't just go by what someone has posted here).
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 04/25/01 12:52 PM

Hello,
I have just come from UCLA where I was on a tazorac experiment. The experiment is over now and they want me to go on Soriatane now to "help" me. I was given all the information on Soriatane and on the front page in big letters it says you must not take Soriatane for at least 3 years before becoming pregnant. This didn't come from my doctor but from the manufacturers of Soriatane itself. I'm not sure about accutane but it must be similar.
Keith.

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 04/25/01 01:12 PM

Wow Keith...thanks for sharing that. Very interesting.
Posted by: 5297

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 04/28/01 10:57 PM

I am 25 and am on soriataine and my doctor told me also 3 years he looked it up in some medical book!

------------------

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 05/25/01 01:34 PM

Hey guys...I found a reference to the "3 year" waiting period. I posted it on a new topic, so it would be easier to find in the future. Check it out when you get a chance: http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000014.html The way I read it, if you NEVER drink any kind of alcohol while you're taking Soriatane, you should be fine waiting way less than 3 years. However, drinking any kind of alcohol at the same time that you're taking Soriatane changes the way your body metabolizes Soriatane, making it fat stored. In that case, the half life of Soriatane extends enormously, and you then go from waiting a few months to needing to wait at least 2 years (at least, that's why I got out of it. Read the original and decide for yourself).

[This message has been edited by Laura Phillips (edited June 22, 2001).]
Posted by: adh01au

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 05/25/01 11:49 PM

That's the wrong drug Laura. That is not Accutane but another one of Roches "safe" derugs used for psoriasis. Acitretin is not Accutane

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 05/28/01 01:46 AM

Acetretin is Soriatane; Isotretinoin is Accutane. As I've said before, no one has been able to explain to me in plain English exactly what the difference is between Accutane and Soriatane. So you're right, I did jump the gun a little bit--this study involved Soriatane, not Accutane.

However, I don't think Soriatane is any "safer" than Accutane, esp. when it comes to the treatment of ichthyosis (dosage, length of treatment, potential side effects, etc). Neither were "meant" for ichthyosis, but are nonetheless used in treating ichthyosis. Both are easily distinguished from Tegison (aka etretinate). Accutane and Soriatane are NOT normally fat stored, while Tegison is. So, from my personal perspective, the results of this study are equally applicable to Accutane as to Soriatane (I *know* the study involved only Soriatane...but because people have a very hard time distinguishing the two for me, I tend to lump them together. I know that's not technically correct, that's just what I do personally).

But...it's important to clarify that it was Soriatane, not Accutane, in the study. Thanks for the correction adh01au.

[This message has been edited by Laura Phillips (edited May 27, 2001).]

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 05/31/01 11:25 AM

I have been following this topic and as someone taking Accutane for over 13 years and wanting to have children within the next few years, I am concerned. So I called Roche (makers of Accutane) and explained what I had read - especially inquiring about how alcohol changes the drug in the body and how long would I have to wait before having children, etc. The nurse on the phone read from literature that there is no sign of Accutane in the body after one month and that alcohol doesn't affect the drug. I asked how accurate this information was and he said they are the makers of the drug and have spent a lot in research to learn about it. He said to take what is read on the Internet with a grain of salt.
Now who knows if he wasn't being truthful because they want to sell the drug, but he is sending me the literature so I can see it myself.
I don't plan on going off this medicine until absolutely necessary. It has worked incredible wonders for me. But I just wanted to add to the puzzle.
Lisa Marie

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 06/19/01 06:54 PM

Lisa Marie,

Did that guy at Roche ever send you the materials? What did they say?

Roche makes BOTH Accutane and Soriatane. The British Journal of Dermatology is, as far as I know, a legitimate source to publish legitimate scientific research (I wouldn't lump it in there with the rest of the stuff on the internet whose source and authenticity is unknown). According to the research published in the British Journal, there absolutely IS an issue with Soriatane, alcohol consumption, and how long it stays in your body. So I'm kind of surprised that the nurse didn't address that (it doesn't seem like much of a reach to me that there might be a similar issue with Accutane and they are the makers of both of them).

The nurse also said about Accutane that "alcohol doesn't affect the drug"? That's not my understanding. There used to be warnings all over the place recommending that you not consume alcohol at all when on Accutane, or at least significantly reduce your alcohol intake. This doesn't run toward alcohol affecting fat storage, but neither did the nurse's comment. He just said "alcohol doesn't affect the drug." I don't believe that.

I totally understand that you don't want to go off the drug before you have to, and neither do you want to endanger your future children (once you start trying to conceive), but I personally wouldn't find the information from this nurse particularly reassuring. Not to say that he was wrong, just that he didn't come off as being very expert in this area, to me.

Are you going to be in Seattle for FIRST's conference? I think that would be the best place to ask the question, of how Accutane and Soriatane differ on this issue. I'll see if I can have any luck getting it on the agenda ahead of time.

Laura

[This message has been edited by Laura Phillips (edited October 10, 2006).]

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 06/19/01 07:08 PM

Okay, this was really buggin me, so I went out to Roche's site and read the full prescription info for both Accutane and Soriatane.

Much to my wondering eyes, NO mention of alcohol was made in the Accutane materials.

However, in the Soriatane materials, the following appears: "Females of reproductive potential should also be advised that they must not ingest beverages or products containing ethanol while taking Soriatane and for 2 months after Soriatane treatment has been discontinued. This allows for elimination of the acitretin which can be converted to etretinate in the presence of alcohol. " And later: "Alcohol intake can cause Soriatane to be changed into a related drug, etretinate, which may not leave the body for many years."

Also, the Accutane literature said you could donate blood within a month of stopping Accutane. Soriatane says you have to wait three years. (Same for pregnancy--wait a month for Accutane, 3 years for Soriatane).

So, seems to me like there must indeed be some significant chemical difference between Accutane and Soriatane (though I'm still not smart enough to have found exactly what the difference is). However, based just on the above factors, seems like I would still choose to take Accutane and not Soriatane (how is it safer when Roche's materials make it sound like alcohol effects Soriatane but not Accutane)?

I think I'm more confused now than ever. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Don't listen to me, Lisa Marie! I don't know what I'm talking about!

[This message has been edited by Laura Phillips (edited June 19, 2001).]

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 06/20/01 10:56 AM

Laura,
I've decided to go off Accutane for now. I have never been off it in 13/14 years, so I think it's time.
As for Roche - they told me that Accutane isn't affected by alcohol and that I only need to be off it one month before I try and conceive. The papers that were sent to me didn't say anything about alcohol at all.
As for Soriatane - it stays in the body forever somehow. My doctor told me I would never be able to conceive then because it would definitely harm the baby. I could only take it after I'm finished having children. Something to that effect.
I'm curious and very nervous to see how my skin becomes without the medicine, but I think it is for the best.
Thanks for all your advice.
Lisa

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 06/20/01 12:13 PM

Well, clearly, most lay people have a hard time distinguishing Accutane from Soriatane (count me in!). Somehow Soriatane, maybe just because it's newer, has the reputation as being "safer" than Accutane (some kind of improvement over Accutane).

I'm wondering if Soriatane isn't really meant to be an improvement over Tegison (and actually have much more in common with Tegison). Roche took Tegison off the market. Tegison was etretinate, which is fat stored in the body for ages (I don't remember what the half-life is, but the thinking was that women who ever wanted to have children shouldn't take Tegison as no one really knew for sure how many years it would take for the etretinate in your body to degrade to a low enough level not to effect your baby...if ever). Roche's materials and that study refer to Soriatane being metabolized as etretinate in the presence of alcohol (essentially, your body would convert your Soriatane into Tegison). Maybe that's what your doctor was linking together when he said that woman shouldn't take Soriatane if they ever wanted to have children (assuming that the overwhelming majority of people do consume some alcohol, however little that might be).

I'd totally trust the Roche literature and your doctor, if they say you only have to be off Accutane for a month before conceiving. Especially in our overly litigious society today, none of them could afford to make a mistake on that!

Best of luck when you try going off Accutane. You might be surprised--your skin might not be as bad off Accutane as you think it might.

Laura
Posted by: 5297

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 06/22/01 02:21 AM

hello boy everyone is scaring me about soriatane i have been taking it for 6 months now i have EHK and two children one that has it and one that does not! I was'nt sure if i ever wanted another kid i sort of do but now i'm scared to death with what everyone is talking about that you can't have kids ever again! The alcohol thing is really confusing also i have drank with this medicine but not much i guess i just don't understand. I was on accutaine before but that just mostly did my hands and face soriatane does my whole body you can bearly tell i have a disorder and before i was covered in very thick scales from head to toe. I feel so good when i look in a mirror now but not i'm so scared and nervous to what everyone is saying!

------------------

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 06/22/01 05:20 PM

5297--

Please don't be scared to death about Soriatane. Did you read the study that I posted about Soriatane and alcohol? It said if you had consumed alcohol while taking Soriatane, a two year wait would be sufficient before trying to conceive. Roche's literature says wait three years, which seems appropriately conservative (a study indicates two years is adequate, just to be safe, they recommend three years?). I've not seen anything that says you need to wait any longer than three years with Soriatane.

If you're worried about it, talk to your doctor about it, or call Roche and talk to them, or do both. Please don't rely on things that are posted here as your only source of information (I for one have already said I really don't know what the difference between Accutane and Soriatane is...I've never taken Soriatane, only Accutane).

But again, I've not seen anything authoritative that contradicts in any way the 3 year wait that you said your doctor originally advised you of.

Laura
Posted by: Helene

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 07/03/01 04:15 PM

Hi all!
im new here, and from Denmark, so please dont
take any notice of the spellingmistakes!
I have been taking neotigason for the last ten years, and i have not eksperienced any sideeffects. My skin feels softer and the scallings is not so bad. I have spoken to my docter, and he ecsplained to me that women have less sideeffects, maybe because of the fatlayer... so it can actually come in helpfull...
Posted by: ali

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 07/07/01 04:14 PM

Hi,
Several of you have posted that you took accutane in the 80's as part of a trial. I am hoping you might have some information I need. I, as are many other people, am experienceing dramatic hair loss after taking accutane and am being told it is heredity by my dermatologist. I have lost about 70% of my hair all over my head. A lot of people are struggling with this and we know we are just the unfortunate 'rare' cases of hairloss that the package mentions. I am looking for anyone who has taken accutane years ago and experience hair loss AFTER stopping the drug. If you had this experience, please let me know what the outcome was. Did you ever grow your hair back, did the shedding ever stop? Did anyone (women) lose enough hair to need a wig or hair piece? I am hoping my hair will straigten itself out eventually (I've been off accutane for a year), but if that isn't going to happen I'd like to be realistic. Thank you very much in advance. If you don't want to post here, let me know and I'll give you my email address.

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 07/08/01 07:44 PM

With regards to what Laura mentioned about donating blood...Roche says in all their literature you can eventually donate blood after being off the drug, but I have yet to find a blood donation center that will take blood from you if you have EVER, even once, taken Accutane or Soriatane.
I know you were just quoting, so don't think I am jumping you [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
I just find it an interesting conflict that Roche thinks it's ok to donate blood, but no one wants it.

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 07/09/01 02:37 PM

I'm glad you posted that reminder Glori (I did have that in the back of my mind too, the inconsistency between the Roche literature and what you see in practice at blood donation centers).

Would be interesting to ask someone from the Red Cross for some additional insight on that point.
Posted by: kat27_2000

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 07/22/01 04:47 AM

Reports of Adverse side effects of Accutane---please request this information under the Freedom of Information Act, IH-35 from the FDA Medwatch system. Request that they waive the fee charged. You will be stunned---I guarantee it. You must submit a written request.

To Kelli: Please contact roacc@hotmail.com They would be very interested in speaking to you.

There is an entire site devoted to hair loss and Accutane. I don't have the URL handy right now.

Trust what Roche has to say about Accutane?--No, I don't think so. Not with their track record on this particular drug. Don't believe everything you read on the internet about Accutane? Well, does that apply to medical abstracts and letters about adverse effects observed? Try PubMed and a host of other medical sites. Does that apply to adverse effects reported to the FDA Medwatch system by doctors or health care practitioners? Does that apply to the people who have experienced them first hand?
Does that apply to the messages posted referring to various studies and reports that give documentation info.?

Accutane is a 13 cis retinoic acid--the other is a 9 trans. The chemical structure is different.

[This message has been edited by kat27_2000 (edited July 22, 2001).]

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 07/22/01 09:10 PM

Okay, I've recently had the difference between Accutane and Soriatane clarified. This is my current understanding, compliments of a trusted source (so take it for whatever you think it's worth):

Soriatane is very close to etretinate (Tegison). Organic chemistry is *not* a strong point of mine [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] but what I understood was that if you lopped off just a small part of a Soriatane molecule, you'd have etretinate. That's why the liver (especially in the presence of alcohol) can convert Soriatane into etretinate. Etretinate has a long half life. Hence the advice to wait at least 2 years before conceiving a child.

Soriatane has not been proven to be any safer than Accutane. Pretty much the same side effects, with same rate of occurence (in fact, maybe more).

Most women of child-bearing ages will be directed to Accutane. Accutane has a half life of about 18 hours. Shorter half life, same or lesser side effects = more attractive for women (and maybe men too).

Also, because they are quite different chemically, people respond differently to Accutane and Soriatane. Many do not get the same results (esp. in improving ichthyosis) in one vs. the other.

That's my nickel version of how the two are different. Hope that helped somebody (other than me [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] ).

Laura

[This message has been edited by Laura Phillips (edited July 22, 2001).]
Posted by: mike2020

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 04/02/08 01:32 PM

I am 44 years old now, but took acutane in my early 20's. Before I took acutane, I would sweat very easy, especially in my armpit. A few years after being off acutane, I noticed I don't sweat as I used to. I am 44, now and and sweat very little and do not swear at all in my armpit. This is a problem because I do not tolerate heat like I used to.

Has anybody experianced this problem?

Mike
Posted by: katie777

Re: Accutane Long-term Side Effects - 05/28/08 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Laura Phillips:
I'm glad you posted that reminder Glori (I did have that in the back of my mind too, the inconsistency between the Roche literature and what you see in practice at blood donation centers).

Would be interesting to ask someone from the Red Cross for some additional insight on that point.

The Red Cross website (http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_557_,00.html) under donating eligibility lists that you have to wait until one month after taking your last dose of Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis or Sotret (isoretinoin), Proscar (finasteride), and Propecia (finasteride)or 3 years after your last dose of Soriatane (acitretin).