Developmental delays

Posted by: Rustina

Developmental delays - 11/04/10 03:56 AM

I really need some advice quick! My daughter is 4 and is in preschool three hours a day. She has Lamellar Ich. My concern is her writing. Her teachers seem to think that she is not putting forth enough effort. I have watched her try to write or even trace letters. She may do one line just fine but before she can finish with the first letter she is taking breaks or switching the pencil between hands. I tried to get tough on her to see if that would help but it just frustrated both of us. One letter she will write and it will be decent. She will try to write the very next letter and she is basically scribbling like she doesn't care- hence the notes from the teachers. They are saying that she is distracting other children, rolling around on the floor, and is not putting forth effort. She is a strong willed child, but she likes to make people happy with her at the same time. I know that she itches but she doesn't really scratch a lot. She just cannot sit still. I am wondering if that is making it too difficult for her to do her work. She cannot sit on my lap for 10 seconds without squirming. Has anyone else had any issues with delays in writing? Also, her hands are not extremely tight, but you can definitely see the pull of the skin. Should she be writing normal? I just don't know if my child is delayed, agitated, or defiant. Please help! She is starting to hate school and its way too early for that!
Posted by: Hearsay

Re: Developmental delays - 11/04/10 05:00 AM

The effort it takes to put pressure on the pencil or crayon may be causing the problem. What happens if you use markers or those soft grip rollerball gel pens? That's what we let our kids use. My husband has several fountain pens because they take less effort to write with. Also, he has typed nearly everything since he was young because it is less difficult and more readable. My husband is blessed with both ichthyosis and being left handed.

These are the pens we like: http://www.pilotpen.us/products/#anchor_g2. They are sort of expensive at about $1 a piece, but a definite improvement over a Bic or a pencil.

My sons are definitely slower at getting their writing done compared to their classmates, but I have never had problems with them behaving out of sorts like you are describing, so I can't really say much about that.
Posted by: MomofPrincesses

Re: Developmental delays - 11/04/10 07:53 PM

Have you considered working with an OT, maybe if she learned to hold a pencil in the best way for her, not necessarily the best way for the teacher, she would do better? And I find it sad and disappointing that the teacher is so unwilling to help, I would maybe talk with her, really explain her situation and that she is going to require extra assistance, etc and see if that helps. I am sorry your daughter is going through this.
Posted by: Laurensmom

Re: Developmental delays - 11/05/10 07:38 PM

My daughter gets OT specifically for hand writing as it relates to hand strength. We use a pencil grip on her pencils. She is now 6 and her hand writing is impressive but her hands get tired easily. The OT anticipates switching over to using a keyboard as the writing expectations increase or using a scribe (for papers and such). I know that there can be many reasons why kids struggle with hand writing, but how can a teacher not consider her ichthyosis as a contributer. As an aside comment, an OT can also help with seating, if she is having a hard time staying put and comfortable in class. Good luck
Posted by: Rustina

Re: Developmental delays - 11/21/10 03:38 AM

Thank you all very much for your replies. I met with the school and my initial perception was incorrect. After hearing more about her condition and researching it, they have started testing what she can and cannot do with her hands and other issues that may arise. They have assured me she will not get pressured going forward about her writing and whatever she needs (keyboard, etc) she will get. I am very relieved!