504 plan

Posted by: EmberSparks

504 plan - 04/23/10 01:26 AM

We were told today that to have a 504 plan an individual may be OHI, but also must be cognitively delayed. I don't believe this is correct, but I don't know much about a 504. What do we need to know? We know that there are medical issues (overheating/etc) as well as a need for occupational therapy. Thank you for your help!
Posted by: Hearsay

Re: 504 plan - 04/23/10 11:26 AM

That is NOT correct. A 504 is for a medical need only. A kid with a walker or with diabetes or blind in one eye or with a peanut allergy would have a 504. For the most part, kids with ichthyosis of normal intelligence and learning would have 504s due to their heat, dexterity and mobility issues.

IEPs are for cognitive delays. Cerebral palsy, speech delays, dyslexia, Down's, ADHD, autism, etc. Some kids with ichthyosis would have a 504 AND an IEP.

My oldest has a 504. It covers what to do when the temperature gets too hot - riding the bus, recess, gym class, etc are all modified for him if the temperature is up. It says he can have water/gatorade at any time. It provides for him having cream in class and the nurse's permission to put plastic on his feet or neosporin and a bandage on an injury. It has modifications for dexterity-intensive activities like gym class or writing for an extended time.

My other son has apraxia and cannot pronounce intelligible words. He is in preschool, so he has the IEP for speech pathology services now, and when he enters K we will pretty much copy the older son's 504. The IEP will be dropped only if his speech issues resolve. IEPs are needed for special ed services. 504s are not under the special ed umbrella.
Posted by: Leandra

Re: 504 plan - 08/17/10 06:26 AM

Hi, Jennifer...I was wondering about your son's 504. My daughter just started Kindergarten today, and despite my sending detailed info to the teacher, school nurse and all the specials teachers about a week ahead of time, and despite my talking to the teacher in person, my daughter's Vanicreme, Aquaphor and hydrocortisone (and water spritzer bottle, even!) were all confiscated from her in my absence and taken to the office where we are told they must be kept with a signed medication log sheet. I have talked to the teacher who has indicated that we are no longer in private school as we were for preschool and that there are policies that public schools must implement regarding OTC and RX medications. I did not take this issue up with the teacher, but I emailed the principal and school nurse to try to arrange for a review of the medicine policy as it relates to my daughter's condition indicating that I feel she needs her lotions and water spritzer bottle nearby so that she does not have to go to the office every time she needs to care for her skin. I expect I will request a 504. Do you have any insight or suggestions? What kinds of things have you written into yours? I have no idea what to ask for and whether or not our dermatologist will back us up.

Thanks so much for any help provided!

Leandra
Posted by: MamaH2

Re: 504 plan - 08/20/10 02:36 AM

wow. I guess a lot has changed since I was in school. No one cared if I had lotion. What a ruled and regimented world we live in.
Posted by: Laurensmom

Re: 504 plan - 08/20/10 03:12 PM

Hello,

In our case...

In addition to a formal education/accommodations plan for our daughter, including all of the above mentioned accommodations (lotions in the classroom that are not perscription, water bottle at all times, airconditioning ect..), we have also developed a additional Health Care Plan (not required by school systems) with the school.

This document is referenced in her IEP under accommodations and includes not only the acommondations neccessary for hydration, overheating, skin and wound care but a step by step plan as to what the school staff member is to do in case medical emergency like a fall on the playground resulting in a break in skin or early signs of heat intolerance from playing too hard in gym. Prescribed medications including batriban, hydrocortizone are kept in the nurse's office. At the end of each year the school nurse and I review the document and update as needed. The revised document is distributed to staff members involved in her education (teacher's and therapist). The document is also reviewed and signed by our pediatrician.

The idea of a Health Care Plan (again not required by schools) was not mine, but that of a wonderful nurse administrator in our district that was created by her alone after completing her own independent search on issues related to Ichthyosis. This is my effort in giving credit where credit is due:)

Hope this was helpful,
Shannon
Posted by: Leandra

Re: 504 plan - 02/02/11 05:14 PM

Thanks so much! :-)