I could use some advice!

Posted by: cschaap

I could use some advice! - 11/16/09 10:02 PM

My pediatric derm. prescribed 20% urea cream for Kenny's arms and legs and 10% urea for his stomach, face and back. She said to use it every day but every other week. I guess my question is should I use Amlactin or something else on the other weeks to keep it from building up? Is it wise to mix all these different creams. One time I used the urea in the morning and the amlactin at night before bed and he got a few red spots on his legs, they did go away after a little while but I wondered if it was too much for him.
I worry about him absorbing too much into his blood stream, but if I don't use some kind of exfoliant his arms and legs build up so fast. I don't know how often to use the urea or amlactin. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
Posted by: MomofPrincesses

Re: I could use some advice! - 11/17/09 01:54 AM

We were given 40% Urea to use everyday, twice a day on her arms and legs and then I used Amlactin everywhere else. I asked my derm about it being absorbed into her skin and she said that it was not an issue at all. I trust my derm 100% and adore her, she has 4 little girls of her own and is so genuine so I don't think she would lead me astray. So I would either use it everyday without taking a break, or use amlactin in between, otherwise like you said you are going to get behind and all the urea is going to do is get off what built up, not move forward. In my expert opinion of course! smile
Posted by: cschaap

Re: I could use some advice! - 11/17/09 03:36 PM

Thanks! That makes me feel better, at least I know I'm not hurting him.
Posted by: Hearsay

Re: I could use some advice! - 11/17/09 10:00 PM

If there is any risk of lactic acid absorption, it should be in the pamphlet that comes with the product. Salicylate poisoning is a real concern with salicylic acid products, but lactic acid is something normally found in the blood (leg cramps after running are due to lactic acid buildup). It takes a while to clear, and there is a potential for lactic acidosis. Anything that knocks the pH out of whack can cause respiratory and heart problems, and I did find a case in a science journal where that did happen:


Here's the abstract:
Percutaneous poisoning is quite rare, and in particular, topical lactic acid poisoning is even more so. We report a young girl with lamellar ichthyosis and symptoms of poisoning, with clinical signs of irritability, agitation, myoclonia, and difficulty in walking, accompanied by lactic acidosis as a result of the more frequent than recommended application of emollients containing lactic acid. The clinical symptoms resolved upon discontinuation of the topical treatment. Among the possible causes of metabolic acidosis, health care providers should be aware of the possibility of percutaneous poisoning.